I have an alder guitar with an FR bridge. It's usually tuned to B, sometimes standard. It feels really slack when its tuned to B, any slight movement of my fingers will trigger a bend. Will string gauge affect the tension of the strings? If so, then can anyone recommend any gauges (other adjustments are welcome also)?

Thanks.
Last edited by MUDKIP at Oct 5, 2007,
yes, try and get strings like 11-52, 12-56, strings for example Ernie Ball Beffy Slinkys, Not So Slinkys, gauges like that. The strings shouldn't be flabby like elastic bands as long as it's set up properly with higher gauge strings which gives a fuller tone. The tension the neck undergoes and intonation have to be adjusted properly or the guitar will sound out of tune the higher you play at the neck. Get it to a guitar tech to set it up exactly how you want it. If it's always tuned to B, then get it set up for it. Just remember though, if you want to play in standard then the tension of the strings will get tougher. Some people like that though.
My nearest guitar shop is about 30 minutes from my house, but I've found a set of old .13-.56 acoustic phosphor bronze D'addarios. Should I put these on my guitar?
get

56, 46, 36, 26, 13, 10

^ I get Ernie ball 7 string set 56-10 and dont use the size 17 ftw, plus 4 wound strings
^ 10's in B standard?

Disguisting lol. (And I am a 9's user in standard and even sometimes tuned down a bit, so don't think I'm a thickness elitist.)
Last edited by garden of grey at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by garden of grey
^ 10's in B standard?

Disguisting lol. (And I am a 9's user in standard and even sometimes tuned down a bit, so down think I'm a thickness elitist.

I like Drop B most of the time, I find I get more tone out of the string beeing tighter as it makes the guitar resonounce more thats all, an accoustic guitar has 13's

my setup is good for shred and heavy stuff
I've got some fret buzz from the low tuning as well, any way to change that? And why can't I put the acoustic strings on my electric?
Quote by MUDKIP
I've got some fret buzz from the low tuning as well, any way to change that? And why can't I put the acoustic strings on my electric?

Different metals, your pickups won't... pick it up.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by TheShred201
Geez, no one has even mentioned that he will probably want to adjust the tension of his whammy bar/floyd rose/bridge since its highly unlikely that the string tension will be exactly the same...

you just did
its the gauge of your strings man. Get some 56 or 58's for your bottom B string. I play in C standard and use 11-58.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I don't see any 11-58 string sets.

By the way, how would 13-56s feel in standard?
^ THE 11-58's that i get are made from Skull Strings.

13-56's in standard would be wayyyyyyyyyyyy too tight. For standard i would look into 10-46 or 10-48.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore