I've had my Ibanez GAX75 guitar for about 3 or 4 years now, and I'm disliking it now, and would like to upgrade it. I'm planning on buying a new guitar sometime next year, but in the meantime I want to get better pickups for my guitar.

I have a 5W Peavey Valveking Royal 8 amp, and I'm not sure if I'll hear much of a difference on this amp if I get new pups, since it's just a small amp I use to only play at home (I don't gig or anything, and mostly play at low volumes). What do you guys think?
Wait and just sell that guitar to go towards a new one, and only go up in quality. Ibanez Gio series are lacking in tone and playability from my experience, and I don't think good pickups (except maybe EMGs) will make it sound any better.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
agreed. wait on a new guitar. your pickups are only about 10% of your tone, if that. and especially if you're using a 5w amp...

up the amp.
then the guitar.
then put some killer pickups in it.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Quote by DougC84
agreed. wait on a new guitar. your pickups are only about 10% of your tone, if that. and especially if you're using a 5w amp...

up the amp.
then the guitar.
then put some killer pickups in it.
And what is wrong with 5 watt amps exactly? I notice a big difference with different pickups and guitars on mine.

Although that said, a new guitar would be a much better thing to spend money on...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
in this case, TS dislikes his current guitar, so he should get a new guitar.

but i hate when people say pickups are only 10% of the tone. i strongly disagree.
it can't be put in percentages. EVERY BIT OF PART OF UR RIG affects tone. the parts include and not only:
strings
tuners
nut
headstock shape/size
neck wood
frets
fretboard wood
neck/body junction style (bolt on, neck thru, set neck, etc.)
body wood
body finish
body pickup routing
body weight
body density
pickups
pickup height
staggered/unstaggered pickup pole pieces
pickup magnet
pickup windings
pickup coil wire substance
wiring inside ur guitar
bridge shape
bridge material
tremolo/hardtail/floyd
# of tremolo springs
your pick
pots inside the guitar

amp
tubes
eq settings
voltage and current coming in from ur house's power outlet
speaker material
speaker size
grill type
volume
speaker direction
length of cable
buffer
# of pedals
bypass
voltage your pedals get
and yea.

lots of stuff matters. some more, some less. but it still makes difference.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I agree, just save it for the guitar. That's what I'm doing. My amp rocks, but I have an Epi LP, and my music tastes have changed since I bought it. For a while I was set on putting some GFS pickups in it, but decided to save for a shred guitar.
it could go either way. its not like you can't take those new pickups out of your old guitar and put them in the new one you buy next year
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
if you dislike your guitar you'd be better advised to get a new one. however, new pickups will make a big difference on those 5 watters. perhaps more so than on bigger amps. they have really basic circuits, so the other things you change seem to have more of an effect.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Bling Dogg
Are new pickups worth it on a 5w tube amp?

You're saying that like the low wattage somehow means that it isn't as good as bigger amps. Wattage is in no way related to (sound) quality.
The thing that I really like about my Epi Valve Junior is that since it just has one knob, it really brings out the difference in different guitars and pickups (kind of like the Natural channel on an Orange Rocker ).

That being said... I'm not quite sure that guitar is worth upgrading .

You could just throw some cheapie GFS pickups in there if you wanted.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by mr_hankey
You're saying that like the low wattage somehow means that it isn't as good as bigger amps. Wattage is in no way related to (sound) quality.

unless you're a girlyman. according to that other thread.

Quote by FacingUsAll
The thing that I really like about my Epi Valve Junior is that since it just has one knob, it really brings out the difference in different guitars and pickups (kind of like the Natural channel on an Orange Rocker ).

That being said... I'm not quite sure that guitar is worth upgrading .

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you dislike your guitar you'd be better advised to get a new one. however, new pickups will make a big difference on those 5 watters. perhaps more so than on bigger amps. they have really basic circuits, so the other things you change seem to have more of an effect.

+1. I totally agree with these sentiments, these sentiments are the truth and the truth is spoken in these sentiments conveyed by typed words and phrases from Dave_Mc who speaks fact in sentiments such as these. Listen to this guy ^

^^ bwahahahaa!

^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
whomever said that the new pickups can then be put into your new guitar has it down, atleast you'll improve the sound, but if the price of the pups is going to drastically set back your guitar funds then maybe not worth it.

What guitar are you saving for by the way?
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
that's a good point. the only problem you have with that is you're kind of tying yourself to getting a new guitar with the same pickup configuration. Not a major problem, but worth bearing in mind.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
whomever said that the new pickups can then be put into your new guitar has it down, atleast you'll improve the sound, but if the price of the pups is going to drastically set back your guitar funds then maybe not worth it.

What guitar are you saving for by the way?

I'm pretty sure he's saving for a strat.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
I'm pretty sure he's saving for a strat.

How did you know? I see you remember my other thread

Yeah, I'm saving up for a Fat Strat, but possibly even a Strat in the $700 range instead of the $500 I said in my other thread (I don't know which one yet, but suggestions are welcome) so I can play classic rock, blues and blues-rock on it.

I wanted to turn my Ibanez GAX75 into a hard rock/metal guitar by getting new pickups for starters. Then my new Strat, which I'll probably get next year (I'm poor right now) will be for the other styles I just listed.

The suggestions saying that it's probably better to save my money for a new guitar first make sense. But since people said I'd hear a difference with new pups on this amp I have, I'll still upgrade the GAX at some point. Thing is, I was going to see if I could get my family to buy the pups for me for Christmas, so that means I won't have to spend anything on them. Then I can use my own money for my new Strat.

So my decision is: I'll get my family to buy the pickups for the GAX, and I'll save up for my new Strat in the $700 price range. Whatever Strat that may be...
Quote by uldhppi
Hope its not one of those fake strats.

seriously, though, i'd say the pertinent question is: will you ever sell the ibanez? if you won't, or you think you'll get very little return on it, it might be worth upgrading the pickups, as it might be worth more to you than its market value. Obviously not top dollar boutique pickups, but something along the line of GFS, golden age or irongear (bear in mind i haven't tried any of these) would doubtless be a major upgrade on cheap ibanez pickups (heck the pickups on some of the prestige models are decidedly mediocre!), for very little expense. And as previously stated, if you ever do get rid of it, if you keep the stock pickups, you can put them back in the ibanez and save the nicer pickups.

The other alternative would be, if you know you'll get a new guitar at some point, and upgrade ITS pickups, you could possibly salvage the pickups out of it and put them in the ibanez, as again odds are they'd be at least a bit of an upgrade. I'm planning on doing a similar thing to this with my musicyo kramer- when i get round to upgrading the duncans in my edwards, they'll come out of that and into the kramer. Free upgrades for the win!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^I've got a GFS neck pickup in my Telecaster; and it's very good. Definitely worth the money. The description on the website was also very accurate (I bought it without hearing sound clips or anything).
I'm planning on keeping my Ibanez, to use it as a second guitar once I get the strat. Since I only paid about $260 for the Ibanez new, I don't think I'll spend too much on pups for it. Maybe like you guys suggested, I'll see if I can get some GFS pups (I hope they deliver to Canada). I'll look around for some hard rock/metal pups from GFS.

thanks for the suggestions everyone, it really helped.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
heh.. this adds no information to the thread.. but GFS pickups make me laugh a bit. I work in a kitchen and we get some of our supplies from GFS or "Gordons Food Service" i laughed a bit thinking about ordering from the catalog "hmm.. we can order 4 cases of eggs, a case of gai lan.. oh how about a few cases of humbuckers?"
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.