Alright i've pretty much narrowed my choices down to:
Alexi-600
RR5/24
Gibson Explorer

Anyone ever played any of them, opinions, reviews other suggestions...
My budget is 1500 for the record
And don't worry about my amp it's getting upgraded. then im gonna thrown at a homeless person
Cancer.
All personal preference. From the three you listed I'd scratch the Gibson for two reasons: It's quite different from the other two and with Gibson's shabby quality control and overpricing, you get less guitar than what you pay for.

Between the LTD and the Jackson, you'd have to decide whether you want a neck pickup or not. Just try both of them and find out which one you like best.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I would say the rr5. The most versatile of the lot.
I wouldnt pick the explorer simply because i think there are better similiar guitars from other brands.

The alexi 600 and rr24 are pretty similiar, but I'd pick the alexi 600 because of its cutaway.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
I wouldnt pick the explorer simply because i think there are better similiar guitars from other brands.

The alexi 600 and rr24 are pretty similiar, but I'd pick the alexi 600 because of its cutaway.

Did you just recommend the RR5 and then after two sentences the Alexi?

By the way, TS, have you considered the RR24?
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Did you just recommend the RR5 and then after two sentences the Alexi?

Between the rr24 and alexi I'd pick the alexi, but overall the rr5
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I'd go for the rr24, i've played a few of them, fantastic guitars
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by DagMX
Between the rr24 and alexi I'd pick the alexi, but overall the rr5

Never mind, I misread your post.
Getting a guitar with one pickup is just silly.

Especially at that price.

At that price, the best value is customizing your own Carvin.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Getting a guitar with one pickup is just silly.

Especially at that price.

At that price, the best value is customizing your own Carvin.

I beg to differ... Warren DeMartini from Ratt uses only one pick up in his guitar and have you heard his tone, plus Alexi only uses one pick up and he also has a amazing tone....

Having three humbuckers is silly (yet they do exist)...

I'd say go with RR5 good guitars... Or go on samashes site and get a RR3 (one with the pin stripes and no trem) pretty much same guitar accpet it has Duncan Designed Detonators... Should be just the same if I looked at the specs right...
Just what eva you do don't get the Explore, I think there good guitars just for what you pay you can get better.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
I beg to differ... Warren DeMartini from Ratt uses only one pick up in his guitar and have you heard his tone, plus Alexi only uses one pick up and he also has a amazing tone....

Just because they get by on that one pickup doesnt really make it value for money to have only one at that price..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX
Just because they get by on that one pickup doesnt really make it value for money to have only one at that price..

As much as I like my neck pickup, more pickups doesn't mean more value for money.

Granted, having only one pickup can be difficult sometimes, however, plenty of people don't use there neck that often and if you know how to use the volume knob, you can still get a lot of tonal variety.

Also, look at some Charvels, if having only one pickup makes guitars lose their value for money, why are people still buying these?
Well, is a Floyd Rose necessary or not? If so, that narrows it down to two guitars, the RR24 and Alexi 600.
Be cool.
If any of those guitarists want a different tone, they just buy another guitar. Not everyone around here has that luxury .

The pickup in the Alexi is a pretty sterile one, btw. When he used it (which he doesn't anymore; he uses Blackouts now) he had an active gainboost installed with it, so you're not even really getting a guitar like his.

Don't buy that guitar (unless you can get it for an assload cheaper ).
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by DagMX

+1 i completly agree here
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
RR24. IMO, it looks better then the Alexi (not that it matters) and is built better (MIJ). The RR5 is MIJ, but while you gain two Duncan pickups, you lose the OFR and 24 fret bound fretboard. In the end its your call: versatility or pure flat out metal ability?
Quote by Bonsaischaap
As much as I like my neck pickup, more pickups doesn't mean more value for money.

Granted, having only one pickup can be difficult sometimes, however, plenty of people don't use there neck that often and if you know how to use the volume knob, you can still get a lot of tonal variety.

Also, look at some Charvels, if having only one pickup makes guitars lose their value for money, why are people still buying these?

I don't mean value for money in terms of what hardware I get. I mean how versatile the guitar itself is.

If your spending that kind of money on a guitar but you dont like the pickups you get or if you want something more round in terms of a neck pickup, you'd have to route the body for it, whereas you could get the same guitar with an extra pickup. Same quality and all that, adnd you dont have to use the neck pickup, but its there all the same if you ever feel the need to.

Plus I dont get the point of no neck pickup on the rr24. I think it was more as an alternative to the alexi. The alexi atleast makes good use of not having a pickup there by having a cutaway. I'm sure it could still have a pickup if the cutaway was modified though, but still..

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by DagMX

Plus I dont get the point of no neck pickup on the rr24. I think it was more as an alternative to the alexi. The alexi atleast makes good use of not having a pickup there by having a cutaway. I'm sure it could still have a pickup if the cutaway was modified though, but still..

The reason? Jackson needed a direct competitor to the Alexi. And its working
single pup guitars are a dumb idea, i don;t care who uses them, you're simply taking away from the versatility, you can use only one pick up for everything, that's fine, but you have that extra one to experiment with
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
true but on my current rig i RARLEY ever use my neck pickup, almost never
the floyd isn't totally nessecary but the 24 frets are pretty important.
Cancer.
A Jackson DKMGT or DK2T may be a betetr choice then. Plus it would leave you some more money for a new amp.
As far as I know they're both bolt on .
So no.

and if i haven't already said it
Don't worry about my amp it's getting upgraded after
why?, because im sick of my telecaster and i'd rather have a new guitar first.
Cancer.
It makes me sad to hear comments about quality suffering on Gibsons, but in some cases its true. Nevertheless I would try out an Explorer. You get a good one and it will beat out the other guitars mentioned. Despite thier extreme body profiles they can be pretty versatile. A lot of players don't know how to fully take advantage of the double-humbucker configuration. Gibsons last for decades and retain value, other brands tend to deprecitate and fall apart.
well heres the real kicker ...
I just moved to yellowknife
the guitars here are at least $400-800 over priced everythings overpriced $2 for a pick?
$40 for a capo..
And they're douche bags about ordering so i literally have no way to try any of it out
I know i sound like a Goof for not trying it out myself but i honestly have no way to try them out so i've been reading reviews and such and the more opinions I get the better
Cancer.
Just my opinion but quality-wise I think you would be safer ordering the Gibson.
well i've been hearing some iffy things about gibson lately
apparentally they do make pretty decent stuff
but theres also the total **** gibsons around and im just not sure which is more common, the total **** gibsons, or the nice ones
Cancer.
I play a lot of Gibsons of every model in the store. This is very subjective but in the $1000 range or above only about one in every twenty seems substandard to me. Even those can be rectified rather cheaply (some sharp ends on frets, maybe a screw needs tightening, occasional minor finish flaws.) Don't get me wrong there are other worthy guitars out there and I'm not trying to sell you a Gibson.
Oh i know you aren't and I really appreciate the info
any noteable features you liked/disliked?
Cancer.
The two things I don't like about the Explorer: looks and upper-fret access.
I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to appearance, so take that with a grain of salt. The guitar is well balanced and those ceramic humbucker really push the distortion, but turn down the guitar volume knob and they clean up fairly well.
I am a double-cut kind of guy. For what I play upper-fret access is very important. The cutaway on the upper bout is too narrow for me to do my thing on the highest notes. The Les Paul shares this problem for me with the added disadvantage of that big neck tenon that gets in my way.
Both of these issues are somewhat a matter of style and taste. I am an SG player, to me that is the ultimate in playability of the Gibsons. So what I like may not be an issue to you.
well thanks a big help actually, Upper fret access is very important to me, I like the look of the explorer but looks don't matter quite as much as upperfret access
That's why i'm considering the alexi-600, Apparentally it has amazing upper fret access
so i suppose i'll just keep looking around

you wouldn't of happened to have played the RR24, or the alexi-600 would you?
Cancer.
Haven't played them. I understand your situation but internet opinions are only good for establishing some guidelines for what to try out. Spending that much money makes it worth a 200 mile drive to make sure and get the guitar that's right for you. When I buy a nice guitar it has to last me for some years. Go try them (don't forget SG's .) Good luck. If you find something you like post again, but be aware that there will always be disagreement on what's the best axe. In the end the only one's opinion that matters is yours. Good luck.
PS Upgrade that amp ASAP. No use getting a great guitar to play through an MG.
Last edited by uldhppi at Oct 5, 2007,
I'm 15, i live in yellowknife, it's hard to go anywhere really
i may be going to a city with a few guitar shops in a few months
so should i just wait it off and save up?
Cancer.
No doubt. It sucks to have to wait, but its worth it to get something good.
haha indeed it does but then again i've only had my squier since june so i suppose i'm upgrading pretty early
but I suppose i'll just wait it out *sigh*
Cancer.