Hi there, I am planning on buying a new guitar soon, but it seems theres too much choice and I'd like a little help selecting a new guitar. I'd like the best value guitar for approximately £250-£500. (Yes I know it's not exactly narrowed down my choice, but I'm not sure how much I will actually have to spend).

I will be playing primarily metal on it and would NOT like a tremolo bar on it. I will probably be getting EMG pickups in it so pickups don't really matter. I have been looking at a few ESP's and Ibanez's but there is far too much choice.

Please help me UG, thanks a bunch.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
Looks pretty nice, any other suggestions so I can compare?

Thanks.

http://www.rondomusic.com/ag3000nat.html

Doesn't have real EMGs, but their active pickups are supposed to be quite good. Besides, if you don't like them you can swap them out (this guitar isn't expensive, so you'll probably have money left over to buy the EMG pickups).

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71827

Again, these EMGs aren't real (and passive) but it's at the low end of your budget, so you can always have them replaced (a lot of stores will replace pickups for free, as long as the new pickups are bought in their shop, which is only fair). This one has a nice neck and cool reversed headstock.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/74291

Another Washburn. Like the other one, this guitar also has real EMG pickups installed.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap
http://www.rondomusic.com/ag3000nat.html

Doesn't have real EMGs, but their active pickups are supposed to be quite good. Besides, if you don't like them you can swap them out (this guitar isn't expensive, so you'll probably have money left over to buy the EMG pickups).

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71827

Again, these EMGs aren't real (and passive) but it's at the low end of your budget, so you can always have them replaced (a lot of stores will replace pickups for free, as long as the new pickups are bought in their shop, which is only fair). This one has a nice neck and cool reversed headstock.

thanks again

How is this ESP for value for money compared to the 2 you mentioned?

http://www.guitarplaza.com/espltdvelgu.html

I am looking for a nice crunchy metal tone.

I am currently playing on a Roland Cube 60w but will upgrade this later.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Last edited by Lord-Hypnos at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
thanks again

How is this ESP for value for money compared to the 2 you mentioned?

http://www.guitarplaza.com/espltdvelgu.html

I am looking for a nice crunchy metal tone.

Looks great (although the black is a bit boring, but a lot of 'metal' guitars are going to be black, so you'll have to live with it) and I've heard good things about the 400+ series LTD guitars, so if you can, give it a try.
dude just go get a B.C. rich or a Dean. they make the best rock guitars you can buy
Quote by finger59
dude just go get a B.C. rich or a Dean. they make the best rock guitars you can buy

Dean isn't worth the money, not even the higher end ones, due to their tendency to overprice and slap Dime's face on everything.
Quote by finger59

DON'T get a B.C. Rich.
Quote by PatsRockin
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser

To me it seems the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and the ESP LTD V-500 have similar specs and prices. Will there be much difference in tone from these 2 guitars? Or if I was choosing between these 2 should I base my choice more on the look/feel of the guitar? I plan on making sure I can try out a guitar in a shop before I buy it online.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by finger59

I have hear bad things about B.C. Rich's, though I have never played one.

From everything I have seen so far, that Schecter looks damn sexy, does anyone have anything bad to say about it? (Please give a reason).
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
Quote by PatsRockin
DON'T get a B.C. Rich.

The lower end BC Rich guitars are terrible, but the more expensive ones are quite o.k. I've heard (although you have to get used to the looks).
Quote by finger59

You my friend is why the world hates eachother
"To me it seems the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and the ESP LTD V-500 have similar specs and prices. Will there be much difference in tone from these 2 guitars? Or if I was choosing between these 2 should I base my choice more on the look/feel of the guitar? I plan on making sure I can try out a guitar in a shop before I buy it online."

To answer his question the V-500 has a better neck IMO. the hellraiser's neck is thick and some dont like it where some do. The V-500 sports the ESP's "Thin u" neck which is a very fast neck.

If i had to chose, id go the V-500.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Quote by .arkness:.
"To me it seems the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser and the ESP LTD V-500 have similar specs and prices. Will there be much difference in tone from these 2 guitars? Or if I was choosing between these 2 should I base my choice more on the look/feel of the guitar? I plan on making sure I can try out a guitar in a shop before I buy it online."

To answer his question the V-500 has a better neck IMO. the hellraiser's neck is thick and some dont like it where some do. The V-500 sports the ESP's "Thin u" neck which is a very fast neck.

If i had to chose, id go the V-500.

Thanks a lot, I prefer thin necks myself.
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_

Ninja of the Ninja Club
I think The Schecter would be nicer ,It's made of mahogany not basswood ,The shape is more comfortable ,It has 81&89(now ,former 85) set more versatile ,It's Set neck With ua (almost like Neck thru) and it looks so sexy.LTD have only thinner neck.I haven't tried them but for me Hellraiser is the winner
Quote by finger59

Ok...what r u smoking....slap urself in the face now. Dean is ****ing expensive and I find B.C rich more on the poor end. ESP and Ibanez have a wide range of prices.
Quote by Lord-Hypnos
I am currently playing on a Roland Cube 60w but will upgrade this later.
Do this first.

All pickups of course, depend on having a good amp. Amp makes up more of your tone than pickups or any other element of the guitar does.
However, active pickups (like the ever-popular EMG 60/81/85s) depend even more on having a good amp than passive pickups do. The difference between amps, effects, cables and so on is much more apparent with active pickups than with passives; if any part of your gear is of merely average or lower quality, active pickups will sound awful. It's surprising how just one tiny problem can make actives sound completely crap, but then get every single thing totally right and suddenly they sound amazing. Generally speaking I wouldn't advise anyone gets active pickups until they have a touring-quality rig.

If you're less willing (or just plain can't afford) to get an amp rig (and that's not including the pro-quality guitar, cables, effects and so on that you'll need too) that can do the actives justice, there are many passive pickups that are just as good for metal (some may even argue better than) as active pickups. Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio in particular make many passive pickups for metal, that won't require such a great (and expensive) rig to sound good.
jackson all the way.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join