would a Valve King 112 with a good distortion pedal and an EQ sound good on this amp??
I've seen some very nice sounding videos with this amp, with those who had high end pickups such as EMG 81's

what do you think??

I know I don't need more than 50 Watts and something monstrous in size (half Stack), nor do I want something that could break (B-52, Randall), nor do I need a 5150 or 6505 (esp used)

afterall, I'm really going to be using a pedal with low volume on the pedal so I can get the amp to do most of the work, find that makes better sound, most people add to much distortion which makes things more trashy than death metal is

I sold my Cube 60 to a friend who needed it bad for the same price I paid for it

the 60 was nice just figured a few more $'s on the valve king would be worth it with tubes in it, same tubes as 6505 just few less tubes, afterall I would use it as a practice amp for home rather than Gig machine
I watched a video of a dude playing a Loomis Sig. Schecter through one.It sounded insanely crunchy and good!No pedals!
Ive played one before in the store, I thought it was decent, but it couldnt hit metal tones by itself. It definatley sounded better with an overdrive in front of it though. Don't get a distortion pedal to get the high gain, use an overdrive pedal, like an Ibanez Tube Screamer, over the overdrive channel of the amp. But it was pretty good with a nice OD in front of it and can get into metal territory with one in front of it.
Naa it's not a metal amp unless really cranked and thats just silly, i used to own the 212 version and i could easily get to metal with a distortion pedal - for extra versatility you may even like a seperate EQ
Quote by philipisabeast
Naa it's not a metal amp unless really cranked and thats just silly, i used to own the 212 version and i could easily get to metal with a distortion pedal - for extra versatility you may even like a seperate EQ

true, a Danelctro 7 band eq is only $30, im not really looking for a perfect amp, just wanted to get a better sound than any SS amp on the market

I got my current amp to sound good for single strings on distortion, but it just doesnt palm mute well in Drop-B

im not very picky, but I usually can make any amp pretty good for metal, you'd be surprised how the smallest tweaks do for sound

I'd probally be happy with the 112 valve king, I mean anythings better than what I have now , which is a 42watt Squire Amp, only 8" speaker
I'm in a similar situation as you hardcoredarrell, and I'll be looking at the VK 112 + Distortion or OD pedal this weekend, as well as a couple of other tube amps for practice. It seems like there aren't many low wattage amps that'll do high gain on their own, and they'll need pedals to get them there, so I'm just gonna try a bunch of stuff and see if I hit on something that works. I'm into alot of different metal bands, so it'll be tough for me to find something...Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Nevermore, My Dying Bride to name a few...
Quote by The End
I'm in a similar situation as you hardcoredarrell, and I'll be looking at the VK 112 + Distortion or OD pedal this weekend, as well as a couple of other tube amps for practice. It seems like there aren't many low wattage amps that'll do high gain on their own, and they'll need pedals to get them there, so I'm just gonna try a bunch of stuff and see if I hit on something that works. I'm into alot of different metal bands, so it'll be tough for me to find something...Opeth, Dark Tranquility, Nevermore, My Dying Bride to name a few...

try the metal muff in it wink wink I use a mahogany body guitar with Drop-B lol shame I have to use 7string guitar to test drop B out in a store I do plan on getting a new guitar probally next year, with EMG's which seem to sound good on the VK112,

I bet that if you use a pedal with some effects and put its output to very low, you can make the amp have higher volume and have the effects of loud but be lower in volume I do that to all my amps, least SS ones im sure it would saturate tubes more

most cases any gain past 3.5 isn't needed on an amp =P least with a pedal

most people complain about amps hissing, when it varies on your pickups and their selection, I think my guitar's PU's are really good as no hum even at max gain and max gain on pedal, which you never do to play but I did it to test hum
Last edited by hardcoredarrell at Oct 5, 2007,
Hrm, well, you're playing in a super bassy set up, if you want really thumping bass the 212 is probably better for you [although its bloody loud]

But i'd deffinately recommend an EQ if you're playing in that
Im totally against using a tube amp with a distortion pedal, especially one that already has a decent amount of gain. Just use an OD and saturate those tubes more. You want to hear the distortion from the amp, not the pedal, so I'd stay away from those stuff. Let the tube goodness shine through.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
^ +1

The Valveking sounds okay stock, but a real let-down for it is the rubbishy stock speaker. With a high quality Celestion/Eminence replacement it really shines.

If you need more gain, and have little money, get a Digitech Bad Monkey. Amazing thing.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
i've talked to you on pm, but just to add my two cents here: i think it'll do it, but the VK seems to polarise opinion, so you'd need to make sure you're one of the ones who thinks it's fine for metal, by trying it.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
When I go drop-d with my VK, I get a tone kinda close to metal. I mean...its not some xtreme br00tal, face-melting, ape-raping, knock-down-the-walls, explode your dog metal tone...but it would be passable.

Then again, I don't play metal.
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Quote by Dave_Mc
i've talked to you on pm, but just to add my two cents here: i think it'll do it, but the VK seems to polarise opinion, so you'd need to make sure you're one of the ones who thinks it's fine for metal, by trying it.

yeah, I don't know to much about tubes other than they make better sounds lol

I am going to try the VK112 out though, but I'll look for other's also, but was kind of looking for tube type

I don't think I'd need to replace the speaker as I wouldn't need a celestain at low volumes, they are just made to handle sound at higher volumes better , I''ll use a pedal to make guitar output low volume so I could crank amp up, but even then the mast vol would most likely be 1 or 2

I mean my guitar is mahogony with a nice bridge humbucker that doesn't hum at all zip nottah it is really deep in sound without an amp

I'm not trying to get something thats all out at the moment just need a better practice amp, I can play pretty well for just 9months, but I still can learn more songs lol, just the amp I have you cant distinguish the biggest string on Drop B to well when playing the two biggest strings at the same time

alot of people play their guitars to loud and believe they loose tone when they loose their hearing to a certain degree and think bigger amps perform better as to little they agree to it , and hear something so long you get tired of it and always want more more better

theres not many small tube amps to choose from that are resonably priced

Randall RG50TC sound nice but they have reputation for breaking before even using them

same for B-52 which people claim they have fixed but stores still have old models
Is an OD pedal going to be able to get the Valveking where we'd want it for Metal? I pretty much figured that any small tube amp would need a distortion pedal, and from what I've heard about the Metal Muff is that it isn't digital sounding at all.
I asked the same question myself and was told that I should go look for another amp.

Anyway, I went to the guitar store recently and was offered to try a Valveking so I though "what the hell, it's free to try it out". So the clerk asked me what kind of music I played and I said I was looking for kind of a Pantera tone (mind you, I wasn't expecting to get any from this amp considering the response I had gotten from UG). He grabbed a guitar (a EC-400), plugged it in, banged on the strings, fiddled with the amp, banged the strings again and tweaked the settings some more and voila; he got a really heavy tone out of it. Exactly the sound I was looking for, no pedals no nothing. Of course, the guitar was really nice, but still.

Anyway, after he had set it up for me he let me have my way with it and I found that if I changed the settings even a bit the magic was gone. So if you set the amp just right it's a killer, but it takes some experience to get the settings right.
Quote by hardcoredarrell

I don't think I'd need to replace the speaker as I wouldn't need a celestain at low volumes, they are just made to handle sound at higher volumes better , I''ll use a pedal to make guitar output low volume so I could crank amp up, but even then the mast vol would most likely be 1 or 2

the speaker replacement isnt for the volume. the stock speaker isnt that good, and sounds a bit muddy and fizzy at times. i put an eminence legend in my valveking 112 about a month ago and its really done wonders. its alot more sharp and defined and punchier. and i'd say you can do metal without pedals. just use the gain boost button on the lead channel. careful though as it adds some treble and takes some thickness out of the sound, which can be what you want for certain lead tones.
Quote by Renka
I asked the same question myself and was told that I should go look for another amp.

Anyway, I went to the guitar store recently and was offered to try a Valveking so I though "what the hell, it's free to try it out". So the clerk asked me what kind of music I played and I said I was looking for kind of a Pantera tone (mind you, I wasn't expecting to get any from this amp considering the response I had gotten from UG). He grabbed a guitar (a EC-400), plugged it in, banged on the strings, fiddled with the amp, banged the strings again and tweaked the settings some more and voila; he got a really heavy tone out of it. Exactly the sound I was looking for, no pedals no nothing. Of course, the guitar was really nice, but still.

Anyway, after he had set it up for me he let me have my way with it and I found that if I changed the settings even a bit the magic was gone. So if you set the amp just right it's a killer, but it takes some experience to get the settings right.

I'm sure it was one with EMG's people who use those tend to crank good sounds, but if not you probally could get a good tone too, most people have bad pickups and blame the amp lol, but my pickups never hum on my current amp so I'll porbally be fine with VK 112, although I hear easier with 212

Quote by Def
the speaker replacement isnt for the volume. the stock speaker isnt that good, and sounds a bit muddy and fizzy at times. i put an eminence legend in my valveking 112 about a month ago and its really done wonders. its alot more sharp and defined and punchier. and i'd say you can do metal without pedals. just use the gain boost button on the lead channel. careful though as it adds some treble and takes some thickness out of the sound, which can be what you want for certain lead tones.

I'm sure a new guitar with EMG 81 and 85 would do wonders with a new speaker too, in due time my friend
i would second that about the dialling in- i tried it about a year or two back, and thought it was decent, but liable to mud.

Then i tried it again in a local shop, where they already had it dialled in (i didn't fiddle much as i was trying the guitar, not the amp), and it sounded pretty darn good. So it's possible it requires a lot of fiddling to get the best tone.

EMG's of course couldn't hurt; they wouldn't turn a fender twin into a 5150, but with something like a valveking which has almost enough gain, they could make the difference.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i would second that about the dialling in- i tried it about a year or two back, and thought it was decent, but liable to mud.

Then i tried it again in a local shop, where they already had it dialled in (i didn't fiddle much as i was trying the guitar, not the amp), and it sounded pretty darn good. So it's possible it requires a lot of fiddling to get the best tone.

EMG's of course couldn't hurt; they wouldn't turn a fender twin into a 5150, but with something like a valveking which has almost enough gain, they could make the difference.

I <3 to fiddle, think I've done that more than playing my guitar but maybe not I only play guitar 12 to 14 hours a day omg for 9 months which= about 3 years exp with other players lol

I'll check it out before I buy it, I do know im getting a new guitar soon after an amp, with EMG's, and an EQ pedal, perhaps metal muff
jeepers i'm doing well if i manage 2 hours.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
jeepers i'm doing well if i manage 2 hours.

haha, yeah

I've wrote 5 songs already that are fairly simple note wise, but sounds pretty creappy cool >:P haha

and perhaps with a pedal using low volume output on it could make a perfect setting on VK112 sound neater, I'll fool with it, but its probally better than any SS amp
yeah, a booster might tighten it up. i hear it does, anyway, but haven't tried it myself.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?