Page 1 of 2
For you, is it more of a hobby, (play in your spare time, play a few shows, but continue on with your normal life) or are you actually making a living out of it? At which point does it stop being just a hobby and become your entire life?

I'll comment on my personal experience after a few replies are gotten.
it's a hobby, but it's a huge one:P
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
i havent quite decided which road i wanna go down yet, but for now its a hobby until i graduate college
err...well, my only course at college is ND Music Practice soo...I'm guessing that means it is my life.
Right now, under your definition, it's a hobby of mine.
But I'm working on making it my life.
Spiral Out
It's a hobby as of now. But if I find a band, that'll probably be a different story, although I'm working on my college degree. So, we'll have to see.
Got METAL?

Quote by metacarpi
However, if we're being all grown up about this (in the pit?) walkingonspikes is dead on
life man, its all about the music
even though im 15 lol
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
i want it to be my life.. (my band get signed or something)
but i seriously doubt thats gonna happen
hobby and life. music defines me.

sometimes it becomes more of a hobby when i don't play as much as i'd like or lose interest for a short time. sometimes it becomes life when it consumes me and all i must do is play.

edit: it will become 100% life when i go to berklee or m.i. in a year or so... yay!
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Last edited by DougC84 at Oct 5, 2007,
Definately 96.35% of my life (band, practice, shows, writing, organizaton, promotion)

The other 3.75% includes the minor things e.g. dead end job, relaxation, ug, teh ladezz...

Yup
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Hobby really. I'd love to make it a life, but it's seems it might be hard in my current situation, I'm more than happy where I am though.
It will be life when school stops being my life.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I think I can safely say that it's my life. My major in university is Music (specifically Jazz guitar), so all I do, all day, is study music, study theory, notate music, study musical history, practice guitar, and play jazz in an ensemble.

After university I'm going into teaching, to teach music at a high school. I'll also be gigging on the side, a fair amount.
Hobby that takes up most of my life
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
hobby, but a lot of my time is spent on it.
Quote by StaggHound
That's the problem with kids today. No upper body strength.
Back in my day, when you smashed a guitar, it stayed smashed.

Cunning Pikes

The one and only member of the Cunning Pike Club.
A very loose hobby. I've no intention of taking my playing any further than something to do at home when I have some free time.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Hobby I have parents you know... but I like to think of it as a way of life, or of living, cause once you start playing it changes you doesn't it?
It's my life. Music is all I occupy myself with, though my parents have been trying desperately to change that

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
It's not a just a hobby and I would consider it a big part of my life, but that doesn't mean you have to live off guitar, I have yet to decide what to go into though.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I'm going for it professionally. I used to have lots of self doubt about whether or not I will be able to succeed in building a music career but thanks to my awesome teacher and mentor Tom Hess and his Music Careers Program, I now know exactly what I need to do to reach my musical goals and become successful. So I believe it is very attainable for anyone to build a music career if they go about it in the right way.

There was a thread started by somebody else a few days ago on a similar topic that you guys might find interesting:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683782&page=2&pp=20

Mike Philippov
It's a hobby, but like a big one. Almost everything I do, I'm listening to music at the same time. I play as much as I can. My art is influenced by music so thats why I'm gonna be a graphic desginer to design CD covers!!
Before I go to school I listen to music! Before sleep I listen to Music! I always have a song in my head.
If music is your life you need to get a life.

Unless you're a professional musician of course.
I wish it was my life... But I live in a place where I'm in the only band that has talented musicians my age, and they aren't dedicated to the band.
*sigh* It's all I really want to do with my life, though... To go to Berklee or University of Miami... Get into the music business. I'd especially love it if I got into music in a band, not just a producer or something.
definitely not just a hobby, but isnt my life. something in between
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
Hobby for now. If I ever get the chance, I'd love to make a living out of it.
I'm a communist. Really.
It's a hobby. Theres more to life than just picking strings on a piece of wood.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

I wish it was my life. If I had a sure prospect of making a GOOD living out of it.

So it's a hobby. For now.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by Vanquish
It's a hobby. Theres more to life than just picking strings on a piece of wood.

Agreed. Get a life losers.
guitar is more of a lifestyle now. I play guitar like 3 hours a day, and i only really see my friends on the weekends
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
its a little more than a hobby, but not my life. yet. but its always gonna be part of my life, which is nice to know

i plan to get a music degree a little later in life
It's a hobby, but it's really my only hobby so it's pretty big. I don't actually spend that much time playing guitar, but I still immerse myself in music.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by HumanitysDeath
Right now, under your definition, it's a hobby of mine.
But I'm working on making it my life.

+1

I doubt it'll become my WHOLE life. I would love to make it big, as we all would, but my plans as of now, seeing as I lack a band, is to keep improving. I plan on getting a band together for my high school career, hopefull before this year is over. And then when I graduate, during college I want to get a real band going. After I graduate, if it's going nowhere, I plan on keeping a band and play nights/weekends, but have a normal job during the day.

I've given this much thought.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Page 1 of 2