Ok so i wasn't too sure where else to post this question :S

So apologys in advance.

Right so i have the joy of organising a benefit concert at my school. I need to know some good thoughts on how to configure the sound.

The school have 2 monitors (we are going to hire another one in for the drummer) and 2 300watt rms speakers with the main mixing desk in which everything is going to be running through.

I've been talking to this guy who reckons we can get away with putting two dynamic and the front of the stage to capture the sound all all the guitar and bass amps...however I argue that it would sound (for lack of a better word) weak, as I would mic up each amp individually and run that through the soundboard along with the mics for the drumkit and vocals.

We have a max of 8 mics...how can we pull off getting a decent sound...or can we not?

Thanks guys

Jonathan Toye
Orinally Posted by HorridxHopes

This is the smartest question ever posted in the pit. I commend you.

I asked about theory of reality and this is what someone said to me!
How many amps are you using?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
2 guitar amps and one bass amp, however one band uses only 1 guitar and has a synth but i reckon we can just put that through the PA
Orinally Posted by HorridxHopes

This is the smartest question ever posted in the pit. I commend you.

I asked about theory of reality and this is what someone said to me!
Ok... My suggestion: Two mics for the drumkit (bassdrum and an overhead for cymbals, snare and toms) One mic per guitar and amp (you switch one of the guitars for the keyboard when it is that bands turn). Thats five mics so far. Depending on the number of singers you can use the rest of the mics for drumkit or singers. You then plug the monitors into the mixtable and you should be set. If this can't be done i need more info on the mixtable and general setup.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin