how long does it take for the finish on a guitar to start to fade?
i always think old guitars look nicer
40-60 years?
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Depends what kind of finish they have.

Highway 1 Strats, I hear, get destroyed pretty damn quickly (we're talking a couple of years here), while others can take up to 5, 10, 20..Depending on how much you use them, how you treat them, etc.

For instance, my first guitar, a Squier Strat, which I got, ooh, 5 or so years ago, looks pretty sunburnt and just...abused. And my MIM, which I've had for less, barely has a scrape on it.

Whatever you do, don't buy a guitar that's been 'beaten up' before hand. It's not cool, and it wouldn't be your guitar, your wear and tear, etc.
Quote by Don_Humpador

Whatever you do, don't buy a guitar that's been 'beaten up' before hand. It's not cool, and it wouldn't be your guitar, your wear and tear, etc.

yeah, i agree with that.
battle scars.
Well, most of your MIJ Charvel guitars that are white have yellowed by now. Thats about 15- 20years, and they had good finishes on them. That should kind of give you an idea. As for current guitars with thin finishes, I agree that Highway 1s have thin ones. Faded series Gibsons do too.