I have set aside $700 for a new amplifier and was wondering what would suit me best. I am pretty sure I want a combo amp, halfstacks just seem unnecessary, plus a bastard to haul around. But I am looking to play within the range of classic rock to metal, AC/DC, Black Sabbath to Pantera, Lamb of God, etc.

So far three amps that caught my eye were the Randall G3 series, my friend said that it had amazing tone for an SS hybrid, Peavey Valveking, and Peavey 6505/5105. I have heard people have had a lot of problems with the Randall G3 line, I want an amp I can depend on. The Peavey Valveking I was interested in because it is in my budget and all tube, but I heard the distortion wasn't as heavy as I'd like it to be (My next guitar is going to be an ESP LTD MH-400, has a EMG 81/85 setup so I will have a lot of output.). And lastly the Peavey 6505 sounded almost perfect to me, but it really kills my budget. I can find it marked down pretty low used, but is it really a good idea to buy an all tube amp used?

I don't know if there are any other good amps or setups out there in my budget, so let me know if there is. I was looking at the B-52 AT series as well, but that seemed to have weaker distortion than the Valveking.

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps me out here.
if you aren't obsessive about cleans then there's no competition there, 5150 fo' sho'
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i would suggest one of marshall's smaller combo amps. they sounb really good. either that or an ibanez amp.
Quote by viper_mike
i would suggest one of marshall's smaller combo amps. they sounb really good. either that or an ibanez amp.

If that isn't the biggest amount of fanboi BS I've ever heard in my life I'll eat my hat.

Quote by Storm_Bringer_
if you aren't obsessive about cleans then there's no competition there, 5150 fo' sho'

+10
5150's the way to go. It's awesome for those bands.. and metal in general really.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Yeah, peavey in general is amazing.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Kinda figured everyone would say to go for the 6505/5150, but that leaves me with a few questions.

For one, what is the difference between the 5150 and 6505? I have noticed the 6505's seem to cost a lot more.

And secondly, does anyone have any tips on buying used gear? I want to take a trip down to my local music shops, but I doubt they will have any, they aren't the greatest shops. :P So any info on good sites I should buy the amp from? So far I have found a 5150 in my budget range at: http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=556006.
Used amps are a great way to go. I bought 2 very expensive amps on ebay w/ no problems. If you could stretch your budget, there's a Mesa Mark IV on ebay right now for $860.00 US...also a 5150 2X12 combo at $357.00, but 5 days left on it.
Since you already like the Peaveys, though, just watch for them on ebay. Look for reputable sellers w/ lots of positive feedback (many amps are sold by music stores on ebay too). Pay only w/ Paypal, so you have some degree of protection.
Local craigslist ads are great too, because you can try the actual amp.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by GreatWhiteDope
Kinda figured everyone would say to go for the 6505/5150, but that leaves me with a few questions.

For one, what is the difference between the 5150 and 6505? I have noticed the 6505's seem to cost a lot more.

there is no difference between them, the 5150 is the 6505, and the 5150II is the 6505+. They had to change the name after EVH left Peavey.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids