Ok so there's a local battle of the bands tomorrow night and my music teacher put me playing bass with a few bands cos there's no bassists in the area. I'm actually a guitarist. Is it very different from playing guitar? Also how do I fit into bands that are completely different genres than me?
Quote by snipelfritz
Yeah well the Nazi Horn conquers the French Horn in two weeks.

Halogen Lights
so wait, you've never played Bass before, and you need to be a bass player for a few bands tomorrow?
Real eyes realise real lies.
oh dang you crazy man!
Quote by gallagher2006
Whats a Steve Vai? Floyd Rose ripoff?

Quote by Mr. Twelve
Behold...the Arctopus are obviously music. I don't see how anyone could say they're not music compared to many modern and post-modern composers. That being said, I think B...tA are terrible.
Its a tad different. Its not something that just because you can play guitar you can pick up a bass right away and play like a pro... you still need to learn to play bass even if your an experienced guitar player. Its a different instrument.
Last edited by dutch5367 at Oct 5, 2007,
a bass playing friend of mine says bass is harder than guitar. (well he plays both. mainly bass)

your not a bass player ? lol.. good luck
i have an acoustic bass so i kind of have an idea. i only need to sound ok at it. whats different?
Quote by snipelfritz

Halogen Lights
no just play a few songs. i kno around the world by chili peppers already
Quote by snipelfritz

Halogen Lights
i dont know about anything about playing bass, but your music teacher just signed you up for this, and at the last minute, sounds pretty stupid to me.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
I find bass to be tougher than guitar simply because of the feel, the fact the strings are thicker, and how you have to be a lot more consistent with how hard you are hitting the strings.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
bass is easier from what I have heard, but even if you can play it, how do you know what they will play??
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
i can play by ear on guitar so i should be able to on bass as well right?
Quote by snipelfritz

Halogen Lights
ok its over! i won a prize for best bassist and best guitarist!
Quote by snipelfritz

Halogen Lights
Quote by troykeenan

Hahaha awesome dude!
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
Quote by troykeenan
Good job
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
so i guess the lesson learned was, if you can play guitar, you can easily learn to play bass, unless your stupid.
(\__/)
(='.'=)Help the Bunny
(")_(")
Quote by pigmaggots
I heard bass was harder to master than guitar.

maybe, especially though if you're playing funk or John Entwhistle lines. I (as a guitarist primarily) can play bass okay. I can find beats pretty well, though, I don't play complicated lines. I pretty much just play along with the chords the guitarist or other instrument is playing.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Since bass and guitar are similar, if you know one, you can switch to the other pretty easy, bass isnt any easier than guitar, just the standard for bassists is playing simpler stuff generally so people assume that. But if you learn the songs ahead of time, you'll be ok, practice alot!
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!