Hey, so I read about modal pentatonics. I heard a pretty simple formula to get them is to apply the minor pent scale degrees to major mode pentatoics, and vice versa. So, for dorian pent, you take the 1 2 3 5 6 of dorain, and for mixolydian pent, you take the 1 3 4 5 7 of mixolydian.

A few questions. The first one has a simple answer: what about locrian? I've seen some things that use 1 3 4 5 7 and some things that say 1 2 3 5 6 is good too. Bottom line is play whatever the hell you want, but I'm curious.

Second question: Now what happens when you take a pentatonic scale and it's five modes? do they have names, particular ways to use them, etc. Like for example, if you take Cm pentatonic:

C Eb F G Bb

And start that on F, you get the intervals: 1 2 4 5 b7. Does that have a name? Anybody read anything else about pentatonics that might be interesting?
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
I think the Cm pentatonic mode you described is called neutral pentatonic, and works over sus chords.

Beyond that, I don't really know too much about modes of pentatonics, experimenting works I guess.

Not totally related, but this is a good article by beat on other uses for pentatonics, maybe you'll like it: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132752
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
There are a couple ways to approach this:
1. based on the major/minor pentatonic interval pattern...shift this pattern up or down relative to the root of the key.

2. based on the definition "pentatonic" meaning 5 tones...choose your own 5 notes to have whatever effect you want.

The advantage of #1 is that its a familiar pattern. #2 is a superset of #1 (i.e. more versitile, but also less familliar).

In your example of dorian pent being scale tones "1 2 3 5 6" of dorian ...this is an example of #2. True, its 5 tones so technically its a pentatonic scale, but they don't fit the interval pattern of a major/minor pent scale. (also a dorian pent with your example...I'd spell it 1 2 b3 5 6 (not using a "3" but instead a "b3" since dorian is minor).

One common way people explain modal pentatonics is using #1 type ideas. For example "play minor pent up a fifth". Here is a nice article on using that approach:
http://www.guitar9.com/columnist390.html