I’m going to get hold of a Marshall JCM DSL50 or DSL100 by the end of this year. It’s not ideal for me at the moment for a few reasons - my band play funk and ska so at this moment I only need a clean sound, and also I won’t have a car until February so gigging will be difficult. However, in the long term (I’m going to assume this’ll be my gig amp for years to come, Uni and onwards) it should be beneficial because it’s more than likely I’ll join other bands ranging from rock, maybe even to metal - so I will need the distortion and other qualities of this amp.

My problem is, the DSL100 is only a little bit more than the DSL50. So I can’t decide which to go for. If I get the DSL100 then do I run the risk of having to push the volume up too high for a great sound? I don’t want to screw over other members of my current band who play trumpet and trombone (sometimes without a PA).

But it’s so little more, it’d be stupid not to… right?

Thanks,
Tomaz
Get the 50. Its a better buy and you really dont need a 100watt amp. (I've had a bunch).
always go for the amp with more balls

LTD EX-351
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1960A
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor
BBE 482i Sonic Maximizer
dude i got a tsl 100 combo amp. love it theres a half power switch so you dont have to worry bout having to turn it up too loud.
and the DSL100 doesn't have an option like that?

Really I'd rather not change my mind on what I'm going for. I just want to know which of the two I should get.
If you only need cleans then why are you buying a marshall?? and DSL at that???
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Personally I'd say get the 50.
Why? Because you will never (unless you're filling out wembley) have the privilege to crank it to get the great valve tone.
50 watts valve is Loud. But at gigs, you may luckily get a chance to crank it- to use it to it's full potential.
However, if you don't want the overdriven tone, (just quickly ran over your post again) you can lower the volume on your guitar to clean it up =]

So it's cheaper (even if only by a little), AND you will get the chance to crank it more.
Thumbs up in my book
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
do you already have a cab? a halfstack in college is gonna be pretty useless and annoying to lug around.
I don't have a cab yet no.

Just figured out I might be able to get the TSL100 Head (JCM2000) which I'm actually considering now. People seem to think it's more versatile so if I can afford it maybe I should go for that instead. Like rtbsmgsmf said, I'd then have the option of half power.

Does it have nicer cleans? If it does it's probably worth me going for it just to make my current band happier.
you shouldn't be looking at marshall for cleans... unless you're looking at a bluesbreaker.

maybe an Engl ? they have very good cleans and overdriven tones.
i doubt you'll ever need more than 50 watts, my 50 watt jcm800 is massively loud
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Not to be a complete bastard.. but there are much better workhorse amps for that sort of money. I mean, with a cab, you're looking at near $2000, which really isn't justified IMO.
Jcm 2000's aren't bad... they just aren't worth that (I'm assuming you live in the US).
Even if you're in the UK, you could get an ENGL screamer for less than that head and cab, a GH50L etc. There are many better options at that price point. Maybe an older Marshall like a Jcm800 would suit you better.

Good luck
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

You don't have to crank the DSL 100 to get a great sound. As opposed to the previous models such as the JCM 800, there is enough gain on lower volume to get you a good distortion. And yes, 50 watts is already loud. So rationally I would say get the DSL 50, but my heart says get the DSL 100 because it has more balls.
Get an orange! (If you can afford one)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by laurens666
You don't have to crank the DSL 100 to get a great sound. As opposed to the previous models such as the JCM 800, there is enough gain on lower volume to get you a good distortion. And yes, 50 watts is already loud. So rationally I would say get the DSL 50, but my heart says get the DSL 100 because it has more balls.
yeah, but if you WANT that cranked marshall tone, nothing can replicate it apart from the real thing- amp modellers prove this.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
i'd say the dsl 100, because it'll have more clean headroom than the 50....which means you can have it louder before the natural tube-overdrive occurs....

i.e. better for ska/reggae/funk
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Last edited by JOn` at Oct 7, 2007,