Hey everyone, i've been having a minor problem wiht my Ibanez rg321 tone knob. I was playing yesterday, and i always leave my tone knob on one setting cuz it's too muffled otherwise for my liking, but every now and then i mess with it, and yesterday i noticed the tone wasn't changing O_O

it started to work again for a bit, but today, it's not working again, normally i woulnd't think this to be a big deal since i don't use it, but i think the sound is a bit to muffled for my liking, and i think the knob may not have turned fully to the desired direction, and i just change my strings so i was expecting a bit of a better tone, it's not that big of a deal, but it's subtle and it's kinda bothering me

anywho, i was thinking if i opened the back where the wiring for both knobs is, i could possibly manually turn it all the way and fix my problem and never tough the tone knob again, but when i opened it, i saw the following, sorry for the bad quality, but i only have my cell phone on my atm

the tone knob is the one to the right of the picture, as you can see, there is no way for my to turn it manually, and aside from that, i'm pretty stumpted as to what i can do myself about this, maybe faulty wiring?? i dunno

any suggestions or tips that people may have?? last resort is i take it to the store cuz i'm not exactly swimming in cash atm thx
the knob turns a shaft in the potentiometer, not the pot itself. i'm not clear on trying to physically turn it (?). check to see if all the wires are soldered to the lugs. i can't tell from the picture. if the pot works intermittently, either a connection is loose or its grounding out.
'59 Bassman Reissue
Custom Strat
Custom McCarty
Custom OM
Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Wah
What do you mean "manually turn it"? You "manually turn it" when you turn the knob.

If you dont use it , just disconnect it from the circuit (unsolder/cut the wire that connects it to the volume pot). You sound will be a little bit brighter than if you had the volume knob turned all the way (so it's like, having it on... 11? or -1? Whichever's the trebliest).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Oct 5, 2007,
There are two things you can try: take of the knob (look for a screw on the knob and if it doesn't have one then simply pull it off. If it does have a screw, loosen it before you start pulling).

With the knob removed you should be able to grab the shaft itself and turn it. If this works, leave it in the desired position and don't use it again (as long as you don't mind not being able to use it of course).

That would be the easy solution but I'm not sure if it will work.

A lot of new Ibanez guitars (including Prestige and signature models) have been having problems with the pots. This is very annoying, but there's nothing you can do about it.

If your tone control is indeed broken, I recommend you to replace not just the tone but also the volume control. The reason for this is simple: if you use quality parts, like DiMarzio, your tone will improve and you will not risk breaking your volume pot during a gig, which is, needless to say, quite undesirable. Even if you use DiMarzio parts it's still not an expensive fix and it's well worth it.

Also, if you don't use your tone control, you might as well remove it. Look into the diagrams of the Ibanez PGM301 to get your wiring corrected for the absence of a tone control and your all set.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by Bonsaischaap

With the knob removed you should be able to grab the shaft itself and turn it. If this works, leave it in the desired position and don't use it again (as long as you don't mind not being able to use it of course).

when i said i wanted to manually turn it, i meant something like this, guess i could've worded it better

Quote by Mad Marius

If you dont use it , just disconnect it from the circuit (unsolder/cut the wire that connects it to the volume pot). You sound will be a little bit brighter than if you had the volume knob turned all the way (so it's like, having it on... 11? or -1? Whichever's the trebliest).

Quote by Bonsaischaap
Also, if you don't use your tone control, you might as well remove it. Look into the diagrams of the Ibanez PGM301 to get your wiring corrected for the absence of a tone control and your all set.

i'll definately try this, thx for the input guys, this is probably the best solution since i don't use it, i'll try the other way with the screw that you mentioned, cuz i did remove the knob itself and saw the screw like thingy underneath, but if that doesn't work, i'm cool with removing it, thx again guys, really quick replies!