My theory teacher today explained to us how some people can see a color associated with a sound (say an interval, or chord). He says some people just have that gift, kind of like perfect pitch. But I saw an article online (one of those stupid pay 200 dollars and you get perfect pitch) and the way they described it was that you learn to associate intervals/pitches with colors. Can somebody actually learn to do this or what? And any website you guys know of. I googled it and only found one page.. Thanks in advance!
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"
I don't know any websites taht you can go to and get perfect pitch, but i think that the more you play your instrument the better trained your ear becomes at tuning so you start to develope perfect pitch.
i do this sort of. but its not just notes, its sounds in general. like a wah wah solo always seems green to me. SRVs tone sounds like a light blue. a C chord is a light brown, red, orange colour. i do see things in colours like that even with notes but i dont have perfect pitch.

also, i dont think anyone can truely gain perfect pitch. people throw around that word too much but dont realize what it means. for instance my teacher can have you play any note on the piano and he can name it. he can tune a guitar by ear out of the blue without a note to start from. but it isnt perfect. he has very good relative pitch and i think thats what these programs give you.

there was a test i did on the internet a while ago and it had you tell if the second note was higher or lower than the first note. and as your progressed, they got closer and closer together. they almost sound the same but they are slightly different. someone with PERFECT pitch shouldnt have a problem with this really. they should get a perfect score. i got a pretty good score myself but it took a couple of tries to figure out how to hear it. but it still wasnt perfect. same with my teacher.

everyone is different. some would like you to believe that anyone can get perfect pitch, but they are wrong. everyones senses are different. some people are even tone deaf or colour blind or cant smell. some have very good senses. of course you can improve what you have to an extent. but i doubt you can get it perfect. these programs will probable only give you good relative pitch like i said. and really, thats something you can do on your own.
association of sound with color is called synesthesia. its actually somewhat common, hendrix would always assocaite certain chords with certain colors. to me A minor is green and G major is yellowish whil E minor is Black and an F in general is Red.
i understand how people throw that around too much. I have pretty good relative pitch also, but I was just thinking how much easier hearing things would be if you could associate them with a color. We just learned in psychology that to remember things in the long term memory quickly, you should associate it with a visual image. So I was thinking why not sounds also. But yes i understand that would only give you good relative pitch, but I think that would be so much easier to learn music and was just wondering if anyone knew about that kinda stuff.
Thanks a lot for your replies!
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

association of sound with color is called synesthesia. its actually somewhat common, hendrix would always assocaite certain chords with certain colors

Actually when music and color are purely associative, it's not synesthesia. Synesthesia would mean that they can physically see the color with their eyes because of a brain "malfunction" so to speak. Scriabin (picture of him is my avatar) was a self proclaimed synesthetic, but there are quite a few psychological groups that disagree with his statement.
^ do you know what it is when it's purely associative? i've read that hearing music as colors is synesthesia but i could be wrong.....

Main Entry: syn·es·the·sia
Pronunciation: "si-n&s-'thE-zh(E-)&
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from syn- + -esthesia (as in anesthesia)
1 : a concomitant sensation; especially : a subjective sensation or image of a sense (as of color) other than the one (as of sound) being stimulated
2 : the condition marked by the experience of such sensations
- syn·es·thet·ic /-'the-tik/ adjective

(thanks to merriam-webster.com for the info)

to me when i read "a subjective sensation or image of a sense" being that it says subjective makes me question what "subjective" really is. but at any rate, i don't literally see that color but in my brain/imagination i do see that color (just not physically) i do know that synesthesia has been considered a medical condition and i have heard of people literally seeing different colors when introduced to certain sounds. anyways, interesting nonetheless i think.
Quote by Blurry 505
i understand how people throw that around too much. I have pretty good relative pitch also, but I was just thinking how much easier hearing things would be if you could associate them with a color. We just learned in psychology that to remember things in the long term memory quickly, you should associate it with a visual image. So I was thinking why not sounds also. But yes i understand that would only give you good relative pitch, but I think that would be so much easier to learn music and was just wondering if anyone knew about that kinda stuff.
Thanks a lot for your replies!

well you can get the same results from those programs by yourself. all you need is a piano or key board. id use that because its always in tune(keyboard will always be perfect). have someone play a note to you and tell them what it is. go over notes and chords by yourself as well. maybe try the notes blind folded. just randomly place your hand somewhere on the keyboard and try to name the note and then see if you are right. do interval work too. it would help with chords i imagine.

i dont really do any of that. ive just played so much guitar that playing by ear is pretty easy now. im getting better at tuning. i rarely use any of the tuning methods anymore. i just play the open string and tune. im getting quite good. but thats because ive heard what those intervals between the open strings are for a while now. i can tell when its off. it just takes time.

i dont know how good these programs are really. but i think its better to do it on your own. saves money. i know they mention colours in the ads but i think thats another thing you can develop by yourself.
LSD?

This is basically what pschedelica artist's of the 60's (hendrix, floyd?) tried to do. They felt colours through their music, and the critics said it was just the Lysergic Acid. Infidels.

Seriously though, it's subjective to everyone who's open to try to see colours in music, regardless of LSD. And don't worry if you dont have that perfect pitch thing, it comes faster to some than others. My pianist friend had perfect pitch after a year of playing, whilst another pianist I know has been playing for 4 (maybe 5) years and is just starting to get perfect pitch.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
haha wow i made a thread that has actually generated an intelligent discussion! haha thanks for the reply guys. This is a really interesting thing to kind of look into. And I'm not thinking about getting one of those programs, i was just trying to use that as an example (maybe a poor one). I actually found a website after about half hour of searchin. Yes it is called Synaesthesia. Heres the link for those of you that wanna see it http://www.thereminvox.com/article/articleview/33/2/5/
Quote by Guitardude19

Tele's

Quote by z4twenny
association of sound with color is called synesthesia. its actually somewhat common, hendrix would always assocaite certain chords with certain colors. to me A minor is green and G major is yellowish whil E minor is Black and an F in general is Red.

Me and my freind had a discussion about this just the other day! I actually think all the chords you've listed here are the following colors, except for F, which is sort of a mix between yellow and black, in a swirly pattern.

And d minor sounds RED, and I mean extremely frikkin red.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!