ok i have a godin freeway classic. i like it and all but i was wondering, can i turn the humbuckers around? i mean, i see that most humbuckers have the screws closest to the neck while the pole pieces are closer to the middle. same with the bridge but the other way around. can i take the pickups out and then face them the other way so that the pole pieces are closer to the neck and bridge instead of the screws? how much would this change the sound of the 2 and 4 positions? its a HSH. right now it seems like the 2 and 4 positions arent much different than the middle position. also i want to do this so i can have a rounder neck tone and twangier bridge tone. right now it seems like the different positions arent all that different. i mean the are but they arent as pronounced as some guitars are like say a regular SSS strat type guitar.
Bridge pickups typically have the hotter coil toward the neck (correct me if I'm wrong), so turning it around would make your tone warmer, not twangier.

If you want a twangier tone you could:

- rewire the coils of the bridge humbucker in parallel.

- wire it so only the coil closest to the bridge is used (which would give you a single coil sound)
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
The only way i kno to get a twangy sound from a humbucker is lots of treble. On a bridge p/u, the screw side goes toward the bridge.
Quote by Mad Marius
Bridge pickups typically have the hotter coil toward the neck (correct me if I'm wrong), so turning it around would make your tone warmer, not twangier.

If you want a twangier tone you could:

- rewire the coils of the bridge humbucker in parallel.

- wire it so only the coil closest to the bridge is used (which would give you a single coil sound)

i thought it had to do with where the pole pieces are? like if you look at mine the screws are closest to the bridge and the poles are closer to the middle and the opposite for the neck. if i put it the other way around, should that change the sound because the pole pieces would be further from the neck? wouldnt they pick up the sound different because of the location under the strings?

i dont really know a lot about pickups and especially humbuckers.
Quote by qotsa1998
The only way i kno to get a twangy sound from a humbucker is lots of treble. On a bridge p/u, the screw side goes toward the bridge.

but why? cant i turn it around? will this affect much or do anything?

i saw that keith richards had his neck humbucer set up how im asking: with the screws closer to the middle instead of closer to the neck. but does this actually do much tone wise?
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i thought it had to do with where the pole pieces are? like if you look at mine the screws are closest to the bridge and the poles are closer to the middle and the opposite for the neck. if i put it the other way around, should that change the sound because the pole pieces would be further from the neck? wouldnt they pick up the sound different because of the location under the strings?

Try it.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
It won't make any difference, humbuckers tend to be symmetrical with two identical coils.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It won't make any difference, humbuckers tend to be symmetrical with two identical coils.

but isnt it only the pole pieces that pick up the sound? one side is just screws. so wouldn't placing the pole pieces closer or further from the middle change the sound?

anyway, i did it. im not sure if i notice a change in sound. obviously the pole pieces arent moving too far. its hard to say without something to compare it to. if there is a difference, its small.
I was playing around with my pu's today and I turned the bridge humbucker so the the pole pieces were towards the neck more and it definitely did give a warmer sound. But It also made the sound more muddy when playing higher gain of course.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
but isnt it only the pole pieces that pick up the sound? one side is just screws. so wouldn't placing the pole pieces closer or further from the middle change the sound?

anyway, i did it. im not sure if i notice a change in sound. obviously the pole pieces arent moving too far. its hard to say without something to compare it to. if there is a difference, its small.

On a humbucker both coils pick up the sound, so if you did hear a difference it was probably in your head.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
On a humbucker both coils pick up the sound, so if you did hear a difference it was probably in your head.

lol i didnt know that. like i said, im not sure if i heard a difference. but after playing it more, i really dont think there is one. and now that you have told me this, i know there isnt any difference lol.

so why do they normally put the coil with the screws closest to the neck or bridge? why do they normally put the pole pieces near the middle? ive seen this on every guitar with humbuckers. is there a reason?
The screw side gives you less output and a darker sound, the slug side gives you more output and a brighter sound so even thought the coils are typically the same (there are a hand full of exceptions) the two sides of the pickup do have slightly different jobs. Turning the pickups around will make very little difference but you might be able to hear one so go ahead and do it and see what happens.

Edit: I just read the rest of the thread... I doubt the difference was in your head.
Not taking any online orders.
I dunno - I was just going off an interview I read with Gary Moore yonks ago. They asked him why he turned one of his pickups round and he just said it was because he the look of it and nothing to do with sound.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull

ah but surely if he moves them around the position of the coil which is selected in positions 2 and 4 will be different? EDIT: +1 on cordy too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CorduroyEW
The screw side gives you less output and a darker sound, the slug side gives you more output and a brighter sound so even thought the coils are typically the same (there are a hand full of exceptions) the two sides of the pickup do have slightly different jobs. Turning the pickups around will make very little difference but you might be able to hear one so go ahead and do it and see what happens.

Edit: I just read the rest of the thread... I doubt the difference was in your head.

i dunno...if there is a difference, its small. ive been playing it and i think its pretty much the same but its hard to say. ive also been changing the settings on my amp and pedal so it doesnt sound the same as before i switched them around just on that alone. i think id need to have the same guitar without the switched pickups to compare to know for sure.
Hi there!! I love reading these posts!! They crack me up, and sometimes I actually learn something too!! LOL. Any quick ideas on making my neck Humbucker (in a late 80's MIJ Tele) less muddy on high gain? I am using a .047uf Cap, I guess a .022 would help it. Does anyone here use a resistor (say 4.7) to bring out the mids? also, any good ideas for a great lead Tele bridge, and I am not after the 'twang', I want a singing hot lead!! not country!! Cheers everyone!!
A Cruce Salus