So here's the deal. I've been looking at a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser with the Floyd rose tremolo on it for a while now, and have almost saved up enough to get it. The problem is that I don't know if there are any better guitars out their for what I am looking for. I like to play metal, neo-classical, hard rock, basically anything besides blues, country, etc. I would like a guitar that has a really nice overdriven tone, if you know what I mean.

ALSO, I would like a tremolo system on it, preferably the floyd rose because you can do
dive bombs, squeals, and all that good stuff without going out of tune, and they have a good reputation, so I've heard. I've played the Schecter at my local guitar shop, and it was really nice but I can't help but thinking there's something better out there. SO if you guys could make some suggestions, that would be really ehlpful, and any help is very appreciated.

Oh yea, and my price range is anywhere up to $800, but I'm willing to put in a little extra if needed.

Thanks
Last edited by vivalasteve at Oct 14, 2007,
Ibanez S-series. ppl lots of ppl think ZRs are better than licensed Floyds. Or maybe an RG. try and find one with a Wizard neck.
The ESP Alexi model is awesome for shredding, and squealing. I had a go on my friends and I was amazed, I didn't expect it to play as well as it did, the neck is super quick and the EMG HZ sounds yummy...cost him £1600 though, so that might bita little out of your range..

Look at any Ibanez guitars?
^The Hellraiser has active EMGs stock, those are better than HZs. And I don't think that an Alexi sig cost 1600 pounds. Because that's $3,270, and they only cost $1,050 on Musiciansfriend.

The Ibanez S series and RG Prestiges are also worth a look, the pickups are somewhat lacking, but the neck is much better for shredding.
I was thinking about trying Ibanez, I've heard they have VERY slim necks, and I guess I could always replace the pickups if its needed. Thanks for the feedback so far.
Ibanez RG1570 or S series with a pick-up swap.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by which ones pink
^The Hellraiser has active EMGs stock, those are better than HZs. And I don't think that an Alexi sig cost 1600 pounds. Because that's $3,270, and they only cost $1,050 on Musiciansfriend.

The Ibanez S series and RG Prestiges are also worth a look, the pickups are somewhat lacking, but the neck is much better for shredding.

welcome to UK prices...

Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Ibanez RG1570 with a pick-up swap.

+1

that'd be the major contender, IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
probably tone zone or norton at the bridge (haven't tried the norton), air norton or paf pro in the neck, not too sure on the single, depends on what you want to play with the single coil.

depends on your budget for the pickups too, of course, and your amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Skechers are nice for the money. Heavy as hell though. I Say get it. Doe's it have a original floyd or liecenced? try to get a original. I played a stop tail one and it was nice.
Last edited by Carvinlover at Oct 8, 2007,
Well, If everything pans out I should have a job in the winter time, so money should not be too much of an issue for the pickups. Currently I have a Roland Cube 60 for an amp, and for the single coil, I would prefer to play some classic rock with it, perhaps something similar to a strat.
Also, I'm a little bit iffy on the EMG's in the schecter, I played them and they were good and all, but it sounds like any other guitar with 81/85's.
well if money isn't an issue you should probably look into some of the boutique guys- wolfetone, WCR, bareknuckle, stephens' design, etc. they can give you better advice than we can give here, too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, its not that money isn't an issue, it's just that I would not like to spend all my money on pickups. I have other monetary priorities, so I would not like to spend too much money on the pickups.
i hear good things about both high order and bg pickups, both of which are handwound (as far as I know), and which are good value. probably look into bill lawrence pickups too.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about some of the DiMarzios or Seymour Duncans. I was looking at them on Musicians friend, and theres so many out there and I have no idea what ones to look at. lol
as i said, i haven't tried those specific brands' pickups, but based on handwound pickups from the UK, I'd wager they're better than dimarzios or duncans, though I can't say for sure, obviously enough.

steven seagull or forsaknazrael can give better advice on duncans and dimarzios than i can...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get one of the new razorbacks, u can order it with seymour duncans or emgs. may be a bit over your set budget, but well worth it.
Just looked at teh Ibanez 2550E on the reviews on UG. It seems to be better than the 1570. Would it be better to get the 1570 and replace the pickups, or get the 2550E.
up to you basically. it's basically the same guitar, as far as I'm aware, other than cosmetics and pickups. if you're willing to switch pickups, and like the 1570's cosmetics, it makes more sense to go with the 1570, if you ask me- as long as you can try a couple head to head to make sure they're the same quality otherwise.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Makes sense, I'll go try some this weekend at my local shop, thanks for all the help guys.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
On an ibanez rg1570 is it possible to use the bridge and neck pickup at the same time? im not sure on the combinations the 5 way toggle allows.

is it...

1 Bridge
2 bridge and middle
3 middle
4 middle and neck
5 neck

??
I have a C1 Hellraiser FR, its great. The only thing people have against it is the bigger neck. Yes, it is big, but its very comfortable i find. Another thing would be the EMG's, but overall its quite the kickass guitar.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by qotsa1998
Ibanez S-series. ppl lots of ppl think ZRs are better than licensed Floyds. Or maybe an RG. try and find one with a Wizard neck.

The Hellraiser FR has an Original Floyd Rose, not a licensed.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by Wylde_Man
On an ibanez rg1570 is it possible to use the bridge and neck pickup at the same time? im not sure on the combinations the 5 way toggle allows.

is it...

1 Bridge
2 bridge and middle
3 middle
4 middle and neck
5 neck

??

correct, it's not possible, at least stock. though i doubt it's a terribly awkward mod, if you really wanted it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I recommend trying out the RG1570 before you buy, i don't see much the point in spending extra cash for the guitar plus better pickups unless you really like thin necks and dislike the Schecters "Huge" neck.

Anyways, i've played other guitars such as the DKMG Jackson and similar as well as others like the non elitist epiphons, ****ty low Gibsons (faded, specials), some lower end RGs and many LTDs and they all had bigger and wider necks (except the Ibanezs of course and some LTDs have very similar necks to the c-1s). Theres also the finish on the neck which you might not like, personally i've never felt this glue like sensation people keep telling.

And on the account of the sound, of course its going to sound like any other 81/85 guitars. With EMGs specially there is a very subtle to no difference with similar woods. Your amp is more important on your overall sound.

The hellraiser FR is a pretty good deal, look at washburns to maybe look at a better deal but IMO theres little reason to look at more expensive guitars. Passing the 700-1000$ mark you will find that more expensive guitars offer less and less upgrades yet the price leaps up more and more.
Would it be possible to switch the EMG's out of the Schecter if I decide to go with it. What would suggest I go with Chino?
I've played a hellraiser before, its a pretty good guitar. But before you buy it, look at some jackson mg series, ESP, or Dean guitars, and compare, so you can make your decision.
Well I'll give you guys an update.

I went to my local guitar shop and tried a lot of guitars, and I have to say, the rg1570 appealed to me the most.

What I liked about it was its neck. It was thin, fast, and the action was very low.
The tremolo system was very nice also. After a solid hour of wanking on it, it didn't go out of tune once, even after I tuned it to drop-d. The range on it was the best out of all of em.

The guy at the shop has the same guitar, and hasn't replaced the pickups yet, and he is into the same genre as me. He said he doesnt plan on replacing the pickups, but if he does, he would go for the duncan distortions.

How are these pickups? I see two of them on musicians friend http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=duncan+distortion
(at the bottom of the page)

Ones a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion, and the other is a Seymour Duncan Distortion Mayhem SH-6 . What's the difference between those two pickups, and what are the pro's and cons of them. He also said Dimarzios are good, but if you onl;y want to play soloing stuff like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, etc. I would like to do that kind of stuff, but that's the only stuff I want to get out of the pickups.

Once again, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.
the mayhem distortion is just a set, i.e. both neck and bridge. same pickup (as the normal distortion), as far as I'm aware. just comes in a neck and bridge version.

No offence, but I think the guy in your shop was talking BS. Granted there are dimarzios which are aimed at the melodic shred thing, but that's not the only thing they can do, and there are other more versatile dimarzios too.

It really depends on how much you're willing to spend on the pickups. I'm not fussed on the distortions; i think it's ironic how the shop guy thinks they're more versatile than any dimarzio. I know tone etc. is subjective, but that's just plain wrong if you ask me. you can't make blanket statements like that, it's idiotic, and just shows how idiotic you are.

what amp do you have, also? get that sorted before the pickups, and then use the pickups to fine tune your tone...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Right now, i've got a Roland Cube 60, but I'm going to be getting a tube amp once I save up. Most likely a Mesa. Yea that guy didn;t seem like he was with it. Also, I just found out that my parents would't be able to buy the guitar until my music trip is paid for in march. (I just give most of my money to my parents, which they put most of it away so I don't spend it all, which I have a tendancy to do) So I will probably have more money saved up by March. So if you could suggest a guitar to my specifications with no monetary limit, what would it be.

And please, no posts like "GET THIS OMG ITS SO SICKKK" (not directed to you, mc)
Quote by vivalasteve
Would it be possible to switch the EMG's out of the Schecter if I decide to go with it. What would suggest I go with Chino?

Oh sorry for the late reply but if you don't like the EMGs then the Ibanez SZ320 is probably the best choice for you. With the extra 300$ you MIGHT be able to get some swineheads but most likely not. Theres tons of passive hi gain pickups.

Have you tried out rockfield pickups? I think they are absolutely fantastic pickups, a fat ass in the bridge and mafia in the neck is great. Try them out in hi end bc riches.
if you have absolutely no monetary limit, something like a tyler would be sweet. Caparisons are nice too. Alternatively, just get some independent luthier to make you a guitar to your specs...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?