What are the difference between those two? And in your opinion, which one do you think is better?
set-necks are glued in. Neck-thrus are built into the body. Neck-thrus have more sustain, but are much harder and pricier to make. Set-necks give u sustain between bolt-ons and Neck-thrus. and imo, neck-thru with a good finish is amaaaaazing!!
Set in means that the neck is glued onto the body and neck-through means that the neck runs all the way through the body with 'wings' glued on either side:

I prefer neck-through guitars because they're stronger than set in necks and the upper fret acces is even better.

The thing with a set neck is that it doesn't give more sustain than a proper bolt-on, but you can't remove it as easily when something happens to the neck. Also, a set neck doesn't make the guitar stronger than with a bolt-on construction.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Oct 5, 2007,
Neck thru is more expensive i think, if you dont know the difference have a look in your local guitar shop. As far as i know Neck thru is where the neck is part of the guitar, not attatched, and set in is when it slots in if you get what i mean. Neck thru is better i know that much
Manchester United
OK thanks, cuz I was wondering if I should get an SZ720FM w/ a set-in or stretch my budget by like 50-100 bucks and get an RGT42FXQM w/ a neck-thru. So I guess I'll go for the RGT then, right?
Quote by neon10th
OK thanks, cuz I was wondering if I should get an SZ720FM w/ a set-in or stretch my budget by like 50-100 bucks and get an RGT42FXQM w/ a neck-thru. So I guess I'll go for the RGT then, right?

It's all preference. The neck and tone of both guitars is completely different. Just try them and see which one you like best.
Counting out bolt-ons when choosing a guitar is a foolish move.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Actually it isnt harder to make any of them (for a luthier not amateurs). Its just that neck-thrus are better therefore the jack the price up about a thousand bucks.
Quote by qotsa1998
set-necks are glued in. Neck-thrus are built into the body. Neck-thrus have more sustain, but are much harder and pricier to make. Set-necks give u sustain between bolt-ons and Neck-thrus. and imo, neck-thru with a good finish is amaaaaazing!!

Really, i actually find set necks are harder, neck thru's are extremely straight forward to build.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
Quote by RGman
Really, i actually find set necks are harder, neck thru's are extremely straight forward to build.

I would imagine so, as with a set neck, you have to carve the two pieces of wood till they match perfectly, but with a neck thru, you just gotta carve it. Neck thrus get better sustain, but are hard to find. I don't like bolt on necks, tho, they kill sustain, one of the reasons that I prefer Hardtail strats, more wood in the body makes up for the loss of sustain in the neck.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Bolt on necks kill sustain? Guess that's why noone uses them anymore.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Its all BS when ppl say neckthrus have more sustain than bolt on or set necks.

An instrument of good quality will sustain just as long, be it neckthru,bolt on or set neck. Take it from me, I own 3 guitars with the different joint constructions, and frankly, the difference in sustain is negligable.

I myself prefer a long tenon set neck construction with a sculpted heel. More tonewood on the body and thats where the pickups are mounted on too, rather than the maple piece that runs through the body in a neckthru guitar. And of course, the advantages of a sculpted heel is obvious. Thats just my preference.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
Counting out bolt-ons when choosing a guitar is a foolish move.

Very true.

Quote by Chaosinborn
Actually it isnt harder to make any of them (for a luthier not amateurs). Its just that neck-thrus are better therefore the jack the price up about a thousand bucks.

This is also true. They charge more because people will pay it. Often times neck thrus cost less to make because you don't have to find a 1pc body blank so when you look at time spent and money paid to produce the guitar, neck thrus should cost less!

Quote by SG Man Forever
I don't like bolt on necks, tho, they kill sustain, one of the reasons that I prefer Hardtail strats

That isn't realy true. Bolt on necks might not sustain like a thru but bolt on necks sustain more than set necks and they certainly don't "kill" sustain. The wood to wood contact in a bolt on neck makes for a firmer joint with better energy transfer. A set neck has a layer of spongy glue that absorbs the energy causing less sustain than a bolt on neck. The reason set neck guitars tend to sustain longer than bolt on neck guitars is because set neck tend to be made from woods that sustain better and the body wood has a bigger difference in sustain than the neck joint.

I might also point out that I can't actually hear a difference in sustain between set neck and bolt on necks, but it is measurable with the right equipment. Neck thrus seem to have more sustain but it's not *that* much different than a well built bolt on neck.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 6, 2007,
from my experience neck thrus have more sustain (maybe not ALOT more, but still noticable). Neck thru vs set-in or bolt-on should be something u consider when buying a guitar, but that doesnt mean u should just completely stay away from bolt ons, cuz there are alot like fender strats and teles that are bolt on, but still...good. for example (assuming u liked the strat in the first place) u wouldnt not get a fender strat just cuz its bolt on. also, on neck thru gutiars, its easier to play higher notes, because the heel on a bolt on or set in could get in the way or make it harder for u if when u play higher notes. So if you're gonna be playing solos rly high up the fretboard, i think u should get a neck thru. Also, to the guy that said neck thru prices are a thuosand bucks higher than bolt ons, that is completely wrong, and not even close. My guitar is neck thru, it is not 1000 bucks more than the bolt on version, but rather around 100 bucks more.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Last edited by musicfreak003 at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by musicfreak003
from my experience neck thrus have more sustain (maybe not ALOT more, but still noticable). Neck thru vs set-in or bolt-on should be something u consider when buying a guitar, but that doesnt mean u should just completely stay away from bolt ons, cuz there are alot like fender strats and teles that are bolt on, but still...good. for example (assuming u liked the strat in the first place) u wouldnt not get a fender strat just cuz its bolt on. also, on neck thru gutiars, its easier to play higher notes, because the heel on a bolt on or set in could get in the way or make it harder for u if when u play higher notes. So if you're gonna be playing solos rly high up the fretboard, i think u should get a neck thru. Also, to the guy that said neck thru prices are a thuosand bucks higher than bolt ons, that is completely wrong, and not even close. My guitar is neck thru, it is not 1000 bucks more than the bolt on version, but rather around 100 bucks more.

I can play solo's high up the neck on all all of my guitars. Yes, with a strat it's harder to reach those frets than it is on a guitar with a neck through design, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

In fact, can Malmsteen, Rusty Cooley, Paul Gilbert, Bruce Bouillet, Shawn Lane, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, John 5, Eric Johnson, Andy Timmons, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, EVH, etc. play solo's high up the neck? Yes. Do they use neck through guitars? No.
Quote by neon10th

For $100, it's worth it. However, I wouldn't pay more than that, companies overprice on NT guitars sooooo much.

EDIT: Don't rule out Bolt-on though, I love the feel of a nice bolt on, and the comfort of knowing that my guitar is repairable .
Dickless.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I can play solo's high up the neck on all all of my guitars. Yes, with a strat it's harder to reach those frets than it is on a guitar with a neck through design, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

In fact, can Malmsteen, Rusty Cooley, Paul Gilbert, Bruce Bouillet, Shawn Lane, Buckethead, Bumblefoot, John 5, Eric Johnson, Andy Timmons, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, EVH, etc. play solo's high up the neck? Yes. Do they use neck through guitars? No.

I never said it was impossible, i just said it was harder.

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
I find the difference between bolt-on, neck through and set-in necks to be incredibly exaggerated.

The sustain thing is BS. First off, what kind of music are you going to be playing where you need a minute of sustaining? Secondly, on a good guitar, be it bolt-on, neck through or set-in, there's going to be enough sustain for you. No matter what the construction is.

I prefer bolt-on myself. Reparable. And not all bolt-on necks have bulky joints. Ibanez All-Access Neck Joint anyone?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
^ the end of the nothing else matter solo (metallica) is over 30 seconds long sustain...

Quote by jravolta

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee

Quote by magnum1117
^ Ever heard of the infinite sustain trick?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.