Okay, my guitar is a Ibanez GAX 70. Around the 20th fret below the neck, it's pretty much the same as it is above it. This gives me a little trouble reaching high frets, and I was thinking of "buffering" below the neck, to keep my hand straight during solos, etc. Would this **** up the sound or anything on my guitar, or should I go for it? I know it will probably screw up the weight balance, but will the sound or any other important aspects be influenced? Thanks.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

wtf do you mean 'buffering'?

I think what you mean is 'routing' if you mean carvine out some of the wood at the upper part of the body. Don't do that. It will look ugly, feel uncomartable, and will reduce your sustain. Just learn to deal with the wood being there. Look at guys like Malmsteen and Zakk Wylde. Those guitars are not reaach freindly, and they have no problem reacching up there.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Oct 5, 2007,
Sorry about the bad english. My friend told me that's how you said what I meant in english. By buffering I mean using that paper with 'sand' on it. If we translate it from french directly it's 'sanded-paper' or 'sand-paper'. And I'd add I don't really care about the look, the guitar is crap to start with, I'm just feeling uncomfortable with reaching higher frets. Most of the time on a guitar, the body part just below your neck at high frets is more 'opened' to help you reach them, but on mine, it's basicly exactly the same as it is above the neck.

Edit: I'm getting a new guitar most likely in a few months. I'ma go with a Flying V so it's easy on high frets. But for the time, I need a solution

Edit 2: I found pictures to show my guitar is less friendly then Wylde or Malmsteem's.

Here's my guitar: http://www.musicware.com.br/ibanez/gax70.jpg

Zakk Wylde: http://www.jaxxroxx.com/images/Susan%20Bardenhagen/Zakk-Wylde-OzzFest06.jpg

Didn't find any close enough pictures of Malmsteem's, but from what I can see, my guitar is much less friendly then theirs. The highest fret I can reach with my pinky and with my hand straight is the 19th-20th fret, while on Wylde's the highest you could reach with your hand straight would be the 22th.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Oct 6, 2007,
I would go for it if I had an extra neck laying around
it would be like a custom neck for your hands only
founder/leader of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club
pm me if you would like to join

--my gear--
squier '51 (flipped for left handed)
cheap no name 15w amp
I see what you mean. He's not talking about anything to do with the neck. He's talking about taking this body:

And making it look more like this:

For better upper fret access.

I would personally just deal with it, but there's no reason why you couldn't (it won't hurt anything) if you are very careful and make sure you don't touch the neck or weaken the heel (the part on the back of the guitar were there are probably screws and the neck joins the body)

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr
I see what you mean. He's not talking about anything to do with the neck. He's talking about taking this body:

And making it look more like this:

For better upper fret access.

I would personally just deal with it, but there's no reason why you couldn't (it won't hurt anything) if you are very careful and make sure you don't touch the neck or weaken the heel (the part on the back of the guitar were there are probably screws and the neck joins the body)

You're right, that's what I meant. Basicly the thing that scares me is weight balance. Carving just a bit to help me reach let's say, 1 or 2 frets higher would be helpful and I doubt it's enough to screw up what's behind the body.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

That doesn't matter because the strap button is on the top horn rather than behind the neck as it is on most SG styled guitars.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure