I've been playing bass for a while now and I play in a punk rock band. Anyways, ive been wondering what all this business is about acoustic basses. Are they any good? What's the average price? Do they make leftys?
No, acoustic basses that aren't the Tacoma Thundercheif are horrible. Please search bar the subject, there have been many threads like this with a lot of good info. Acoustic basses (that aren't Tacomas) are quiet and the strings are un-balanced volume wise.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Washburn ab's are nice (i dont think they're in production anymore)
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm gonna vouch for the Warwick Alien Stage Acoustic here. It is nice.

Yeah, but they're about 3x the price of a Tacoma and basically have the same revolving concept. At that price level, check out Taylor and Martin.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Don't think that an acoustic bass shoulod be played when your writing songs with guitarists on acoustic guitars. Acoustic Basses just feature a different sound or tone, that can somtimes match the riff that the electric guitar is playing. Don't invest in one, just for the sake of having one, instead get a nice phaser or a bass overdrive dude.
it just sounds like a really loud/big acustic guitar. that is why people like duff mckagan play a more classic sounding electric bass on acustic songs or just a damn acustic guitar.

By the way. i saw Velvet Revolver friday night and OH MY @#$ GOD that was an unbelievable concert. they played all thier stuff +an alice and chains songs (to tribute to them cuz they are on tour w/ them) +Patience (yeah the GnR song) and Scott rocks that song better than Axle rose without question~!

saw Alice and chains right before Velvet revolver and that was amazeing aswell they got thier live sound exacltly like the CD and it was just loads better than EVRYONE expected.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
The EB Earthwood series are also wonderful AGBs, but hard to come by. I think EB stopped production some time in the mid 80s. Also if you aren't a big person, these basses can be a bit unwieldy. I played one once, and felt like one of those guinness world book of records pictures, "World's Smallest Woman plays World's Largest Bass!". Anyway for more info see this article on vintage guitar's site.

http://www.vintageguitar.com/gear/details.asp?ID=171