Okay, there's a huge story to this so be prepared for a read.

I had an ABIT AN-M2 Motherboard, and i was using the onboard graphics card, till i decided to buy a MSI NX8600GT OC Edition. It worked for a day or so, and then started getting crazy artifacts, and crashing when every game started, along with blue screens etc. I tried flashing the motherboard and pretty much killed the motherboard in the process (thanks ABIT FlashMenu utility!)

This proceeded to make Windows XP die completely, and not be able to boot up for more than a minute before crashing.

We sent the PC off to a repair guy, two weeks later he's said its the motherboard, and replaced it with a Gigabyte M56S-S3 Motherboard, and I got my computer back after he said it was running fine. Windows XP ran, but there was a new problem, I started up Far Cry to give it a test, and every few minutes the game would freeze completely. I had to alt tab out which took another minute, and then back in again, and it would run fine, and the sound was crackly but fixed itself after a minute or so.

I opened up Titan Quest, and I played that for a good hour, before it froze, and i alt tabbed out and in again, played for another good hour, then it froze completely.

I tried disabling the sound card from the BIOS, because I thought the crackly sound when i tabbed back in meant sometihng, but it didnt fix anything.

I also tried playing FarCry on all settings low, and that didnt do anything either.

The card is running at 60 degrees when i'm in a game, so its not really overheating. The repair guy said my power supply was sufficient to run this card.

He didnt reformat windows though. Could that be the problem? New motherboard and no windows reformat? Anyone else got any other ideas on how to fix? I'll love you forever

Pre-emptive thanks!
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Tried better drivers?
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Its overclocked standard, from factory.

60 is hot, but it isnt hot enough to cause some serious problems. 6600's run at like, 80.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
I got an 8800 GT

Any danger you can put it back to standard speed? A lot of games hate overclocked cards, whether the manufacturer's say it's fine or not. This happened with my previous card, a Gainward Golden Sample of some such, guaranteed at overclocked speeds. Nope, cue artifacts!
Quote by benco
Its overclocked standard, from factory.

60 is hot, but it isnt hot enough to cause some serious problems. 6600's run at like, 80.

check that, I ran mine up to around 140~ish..
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Video cards?

Hurf durf.

I'll try underclocking, and see if it still happens.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Bump!

Someone help me UG!

Do I need a new power supply? This is what it says on the side of mine.

Input: 115v~ / 10A 230V~ / 5A. 50-60hz

Output: Peak 400W, Rated 350W

+12v1 ------ 14A (Max) +12V2 ------ 16A (Max)
+5v -------- 25A (Max) +5VSB --------- 7.5A (Max)
+3.3v ------ 18A (Max) -12V ------ 0.3A (Max)
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
I've massively underclocked my video card from:

580mhz core, 1600mhz memory
to
520mhz core 800mhz memory

and the crashes and whatnot are still happening.

EDIT: Check this out.

http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=646&page=10

It says that it will run fine with a 400w PSU..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
It shouldn't be a temp problem. Lulz, my 6800 runs at like 90 when clocked at 450. Did you try reformatting?
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Not yet. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if you have to reformat after you change motherboards.
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
I would reformat windows, especially if a major change such as the motherboard was carried out. I mean, its possible that it will still run fine, but better do it just for the sake of eliminating "formatting" as an option.

Alternatively, you can just install windows over the current installation (if you boot up the installation cd just after the POST screen, and follow the onscreen instructions, if you select the same partition your windows installation is on, it will tell you that there already is an OS on there...it'll eventually ask you if you want to delete the existing windows folder - therefore the OS). That's what I did when I had too much data to back up. All of your old files should just be moved to a folder ending with .000 or something.

If not, I had a problem similar to that a few years ago - never fixed it and my graphics card eventually died. I ended up concluding that it was a defective card (I tested the system with a different card and it worked fine). No big deal though, it was a GeForce FX 5200...Sparkle too and I ended up getting something better anyway.