alrighty lol, went down to the pawnshop 2day. and snaked me a Rogue Acoustic Guitar.. made in china, typical ****ty 100$ Cheapo..

Any video references where i can hear the noob Scales being played so i can have something to compare with.. i feel as if my guitar is moaning because im playing it, lol its in tune tho i know that much..

another Q: Where do i place my fingers on the neck when playing a note.. On the metal strip.. or between the two metal strips.. i think there called Frets?
Quote by lendiggity
alrighty lol, went down to the pawnshop 2day. and snaked me a Rogue Acoustic Guitar.. made in china, typical ****ty 100$ Cheapo..

Any video references where i can hear the noob Scales being played so i can have something to compare with.. i feel as if my guitar is moaning because im playing it, lol its in tune tho i know that much..

another Q: Where do i place my fingers on the neck when playing a note.. On the metal strip.. or between the two metal strips.. i think there called Frets?

Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
you can check out youtube for scales lessons, and you place your fingers between the "metal strips" (frets)

Quote by dm1925

Whats your problem?

Theres plenty of resources on this site threadstarter, have a look around, particularly in the acoustic forum. You won't find a classier bunch of guys anywhere else on the site.

The idiot who posted what I quoted above is exactly that, an idiot. Luckily we don't have many of them around in this forum at least.
Forget scales, they can come later. Just start off with chords...that's the quickest way to get yourself playing some songs.

To learn scales you have to learn the notes on the guitar, that can wait a little while. Just spend some time getting your hands used to the thing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Just learned Pentagonal E minor scales i think is what its called. its ****ing tight tho i know that much... fingaz HURT
Seriously, forget the scales for the time being - there's really no point trying tio learn them becasue you won't be able to. Scales are NOT boxes, we just use the boxes as an easy example of part of the scale. A scale is a pattern of note intervals, as such you can't actually learn them unless you know the notes. Furthermore every scale is defined in relation to the major scale, so if you don't know it you can't really learn any other scales.

Think of the guitar as a new language - trying to play scales without knowing what the notes are is like trying to string sentences together without knowing the alphabet.

From a purely physical point of view you aren't going to have the strength, dexterity or accuracy to pick individual notes effectively. Start by learning open chords to loosen up the tendos in your hands and help them get used to the physical activity of playing. You're asking your muscles to do something they've never done before, it'll take them a while to understand.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
fingaz HURT

hehe...yeah they'll hurt for a while until you develop some callouses. Bear with it, that takes time. I just started practicing to learn new songs for a band I'm joining, playing twice as much as the usual diddling around I usually do, an hoour a day or so just to keep playing a bit, my fingerrs hurt too, and will for about a month. I have a good head start of course, I've already been playing an hour a day or so for years, so I already have some callouses but not much.

Seagull is right, don't worry so much about scales right now, work on getting the open chords down and learn a song or two, something simple, so you can actually play something and see some definite progress. Maybe not your style of stuff, but Bob Dylan's Knockin on Heaven's Door is G, D, Amin, G, D, C. Easy to play and if you can sing a bit you have something solid you can show your friends when they say "yeah? Well play me something"...

Google image results for Chord Chart

Links

Chord Chart
Another
[url="and some more[/url"]

Don't worry about all those diminished chords, augmented 7ths and suspended 14ths and such for now, (that was a joke don't start yelling there's no such thing as a 14th...) just the major and minor open chords to start with. Open chords means the basic A-G played on the first 3 frets using some of the open strings. Learn a couple of simple songs using open chords, to keep your interest up and see some solid progress, something you can use, rather than just learning chords. And don't make your fingers bleed...

And good luck.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...