OK, I attend the Unversity of Michigan and am majoring in music performance on euphonium. However, I really have no passion for the instrument, and am really not getting any fulfillment from it. Anyway, I was considering a switch to classical guitar.

I've been playing the electric bass for over 4 years, and just about 2 years on "standard" guitar. Also, I am required to perform a solo on the guitar before December. I can already shred 2-octave scales (all major, all minor and most modes) on the classical, but my music-reading is limited on it. I can read all four clefs very quickly, and can read/play on bass, but making the connection on guitar is a bit new to me.

Anyway, what advise could you give to a guy in my spot? I'm brand new to the classical, so any tips would be greatly appreciated, as well as book reccommendations, etc. Thanks!!!!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
1) Guliani excersizes (boring as hell but you can learn a bit with the right hand with them)
Paganini (crazy **** probably won't be able to play but some of the riffs arent too hard and they all sound amazing)
A lot of mozart songs are very fun on guitar.
Fuer elise can be a nice challenge if played fast enough. (the well known part the rest sounds like utter **** on guitar)
Play hard songs on half speed at first. Gradually work them as fast you can go. I hate playing slower than full tempo but I admit I have to for a lot of Paganini stuff.
Um...hopefully you've already practiced fingerstyle.

Pick + classical guitar = fail audition

Anyways, familiarize yourself with playing Bach and Sor pieces. Use standard notation to learn them, and do this enough to become fluent with sight-reading the treble cleff (or at least working your way towards that).

And DO NOT play something like Fur Elise or Canon in D. Even if you give a spotless performance (and Fur Elise DOES get very challenging in the middle) it'll still annoy the auditioners.
Well, other than what has already been said, I highly recommend studying Heitor Villa-Lobos' guitar compositions. In particular, his etudes.
well, here's my update:

I've got a classical guitar from the 60's (some offbrand Japanese guitar, but whatever) that I restrung this afternoon and took to the audition. I played 5 major and 3 minor scales, all two-octave for the guy, and did well. I used the best fingerstyle I could muster, having almost zero experience on the classical (but gobs of hours on electric bass), and he said my posture/technique was pretty close to perfect! my only problems were a few technical things with the scales, because the room was damn cold and I was pretty nervous.

However........ I still feel like I'm "faking" it. I've got to do a fairly impressive solo piece for a panel of judges and an audience before December. I also, unfortunately, have to sell one of my cheaper basses (probably my 5-string) to afford a better guitar.

But so far, I passed the audition and I'm good to go. The only remaining problem is that I need to determine whether I can pull a good solo out of nowhere (other than a lot of practice) before December. If not, it's back to the baritone I go. And I need to turn in a form that officially "switches" me from baritone lessons to guitar lessons (as far as college credits are concerned, that's pretty damn important). once the form goes out, I can't go back to baritone. it's a one-shot deal!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
^ Great news, good to hear it. December's still over a month away, so I think you should be able to do it as long as you practice efficiently.
yeah, that was my biggest problem with baritone: I'd go for about thirty minutes and stop. I never wanted to practice. But with the bass, and soon with guitar, I can sit there and work for hours on end. My record with the bass is 7 hours in one day. It's not healthy, but it's REALLY beneficial to my playing :] I'm no prodigy, so I've gotta work! the only thing I can do well without effort is cooking, and I chose being a musician over a chef :]

so yeah, guitar practice won't even remotely be a problem.
Thats good. My technique is probably my biggest downfall. I tend to flatten my hand when I don't pay attention and the last group I tried out for failed me for that. (and my elbow slipped and was resting on teh top of the guitar and not the side)

But yeah it was just for a local orchestra so I didn't really care. I'll have all the kinks worked out by college auditions.