Hello everyone . I'm looking to get started playing electric guitar but I have no idea what a good beginners guitar is. I have about 400 dollars Canadian to spend between the amp and guitar itself. As for musical interests, I enjoy classic rock such as Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Any help you guys can offer in choosing an amp/guitar would be greatly appreciated, Thanks .
Last edited by Hiri at Oct 5, 2007,
One of those 150 floyd rose guitar + junior valve + bad monkey + two decent cables + picks + tuner.

That should be around 400

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
One of those 150 floyd rose guitar + junior valve + bad monkey + two decent cables + picks + tuner.

If you buy a Floyd Rose guitar, here's what you get:

An Official Floyd Rose
Plywood with some scrap metal thrown onto it.

That's it...
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
TSelman is right the les paul and amp pack would be great
also isnt 500 usd cheaper than 400 canadian?
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Quote by RatmN'Roses
TSelman is right the les paul and amp pack would be great
also isnt 500 usd cheaper than 400 canadian?

I converted it, apparently 400 CAD = 403 USD...ha
Quote by yoyodunno

He's new, he doesn't need something like a full blown halfstack or something.

Also...Ibanez...Classic Rock...no.
Quote by p.stick

No, that's horrible, 150 floyd guitar, for classic rock? Not only would the trem be horrible, but so so would every other part of it.

I'd look at the Vintage Epi SG400 or Les Paul Studio, maybe even look into a mexi strat on ebay or something.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
a Vox Valvetronix amp would be good. nicest modelling amps made. lots of Brit-Rock and Marshall-ish tones.

As for a guitar, maybe a Les Paul special II or a Squier Detonator. Maybe a Squier Vintage Modified Strat.
For those of you who don't like the floyd rose guitar. Try and find one that's better for 150?

You guys are stepping out of his budget. Don't forget those accessaries would cost about 100 along.

So only like 150 for the guitar and 150 for the amp.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

So are these two good buys then?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Vintage-G400-Electric-Guitar?sku=518669
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=518351

There are so many different brands of electric guitars thats its a bit overwhelming. But based on what you guys are saying I would need to save a bit more for the style of music that I would like playing to get a nice starter guitar.
^Those are good buys, especially for a beginner

Quote by p.stick
For those of you who don't like the floyd rose guitar. Try and find one that's better for 150?

You guys are stepping out of his budget. Don't forget those accessaries would cost about 100 along.

So only like 150 for the guitar and 150 for the amp.

There are a ton of better things, the FR is no where needed, it would go out of tune, and the pickups as well as body wood would also be horrible, it's just a bad move.

On topic, Squier actually has some really nice guitars, they had Duncan pups, mahogany bodies, set neck, for a little over 200 I think.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Deluxe-Series-Satin-Trans-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=511946
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-FSR-Affinity-Detonator-Electric-Guitar-With-Kill-Switch?sku=513752

As for amps, look into a Valve Junior with a good OD or Vox Valvetronix, they make really solid amps for a good price.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
I don't get all the floyd rose hate. It's a $150 guitar, with a OFR (speedloader, but still) and a basswood body. Almost every other brands guitars in that range are made of agathis. That would leave him with enough to get a decent amp, more importantly...
Last edited by T!AN at Oct 5, 2007,
Quote by T!AN
I don't get all the floyd rose hate. It's a $150 guitar, with a OFL (speedloader, but still) and a basswood body. Almost every other brands guitars in that range are made of agathis. That would leave him with enough to get a decent amp, more importantly...

Its not really hate, like I said, it's a bad move, he's just starting, imagine how hard it would be for him to tune, change strings and set the guitar up, if he wants a FR, he should wait a bit 'til he's more experienced.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
It's a speedloader, not a normal OFR, You literally just drop in the strings...

EDIT: Getting the strings, because they're proprietary, can be a pain in the ass though...
Last edited by T!AN at Oct 5, 2007,
There are a couple of guitar shops around my house so I guess I'll see if they have the two that I linked and get a price check and do the same downtown. I guess its just a matter of finding who has the lowest price compared to musiciansfriend.com. But which of the two would you guys over all recommend based on what I like to listen to? Would they basically sound the same?
More important than the guitar you're going to get is the amp. If you spend $300 on a guitar and you're sticking to your $400 budget, you won't be able to crap for an amp.

You should either save up a little more money (never a bad idea) or look at slightly cheaper guitars.
Okay, well assuming I bought one of the two guitars I linked, what would be a good amp for it? I have no problem saving up until I can get a good amp with the guitar as well.
If you are just learning to play electric, I'd stay away from anything with a Floyd Rose. They can be problematic. As far as amps. Choose something simple without effects. Learn to play clean and without any effects to cover or hide mistakes. As you learn to play better, then you can buy some effects pedals or a multi pedal to add what you need. If you decide that dive bombing is your thing then upgrade to something with a Floyd Rose.
Well I guess I'll save up a bit longer and buy the epi les paul studio and one of the amps you guys recommended. Thanks so much for your help guys! Maybe some time in the future I'll come by and post a pic of whatever guitar I get .
Quote by yoyodunno
If you're thinking about the lp studio I think the vintage g400 is definitely better for the same price but either should be great for starting.

Why is the SG better? Also I just found this guitar http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291 is it any better or worse than the vintage g-400? Or would it not suit my musical interests? Or are they the exact same guitar and I'm too dumb to realize that lol.
lol, yeah regular g400 basically the same guitar as the vintage g400. And imo the g400 is better quality/woods/pickups than the lp studio. But the lp might be more comfortable since the g400 tends to be neck heavy. Btw most guitars like these can do a wide variety of genres, its just some guitars might be geared more towards heavy metal or clean stuff but your amp determines a good portion of your tone.
Last edited by yoyodunno at Oct 5, 2007,
Looks like I'll pick up the the g-400 and the roland 20x once I can save up a bit more money. Thanks so much for the recommendations and guidance.
I really think a Vox ADVT15 would be better for your classic rock interests. I know the Rolands are good, but I've always considered them more of a "metal amp"...
Hmm, well you guys know more about this than I do so I guess I'll pick up the vox instead.
Quote by Hiri
Looks like I'll pick up the the g-400 and the roland 20x once I can save up a bit more money. Thanks so much for the recommendations and guidance.

NO, the roland is more of a hi-gain amp, more towards metal, that guy just keeps giving bade advice(no offense).

As mentioned before, get a Vox AD15 or 30, maybe even the portable DA5.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky