Page 1 of 2
The rest of the crap attached to the agathis!
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
Some people say it's too dark sounding, not very resonant, or just plain bad.
I myself have never had a guitar with it, but I've heard it's bad.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Low density. The best sustain and sound is produced by dense hardwood like mahogany. And though RGman was being humorous somewhat what was said is true. No one will attach quality electronics and hardware to a piece of Agathis.
To each their own. I have one, since I didn't want to get an expensive guitar for college, and it's fine (ESP H-51). It isn't very resonant, but again, most of the sound's from the amp anyway. It's light enough to tow around and isn't as fragile as basswood or alder. If you can afford mahogany, of course get it. But it makes a decent substitute if you only plan on practicing.
i have a yamaha pacifica, its agathis, and its amazing. and my tonal ear is quite developed if i do say so myself, i have about 7 years of musical background. i thought it was alder until i looked up the facts and figures on it. people who say it suck usually have never played it. thats all just my opinion though.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
I've heard if you get a good cut it can compare to even Alder.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
I love my Agathis Ibanez. The only thing that's disappointing is the sustain, but that may be because I have a Bolt on neck and a LFR.
Have half of you played an Agathis guitar? Most of them aren't that much worse than a high end Mahogany or Basswood guitar
Quote by guitar_infidel
i have a yamaha pacifica, its agathis, and its amazing. and my tonal ear is quite developed if i do say so myself, i have about 7 years of musical background. i thought it was alder until i looked up the facts and figures on it. people who say it suck usually have never played it. thats all just my opinion though.

Pacifica's are very nice for the price. Smoother frets than $800 Fenders.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
-SD "Pearly Gates" bridge pickup
-50's style wiring
Digitech RP150
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1 Linear Power Booster
Peavey Windsor Studio

= My amp on crack
I have a squier standard strat that came with a sticker on it that said "Alder/Agathis" does anybody know anything about that?
Honeybiscuit is here.
I think agathis is a bit muffled sounded and too bassy. That said, it probably wouldn't be a bad wood for Death or Slipknot or something when paired with an EMG81, was has loads of cut. (no insults intended)
One wood or another is simple preference. Some woods are used because they are cheaper to buy or more plentiful. Some woods that were used in guitars is now endangered or in very short supply. Alder is a cheaper wood and very easy to cut and paint. Mahogany is a very open pored wood takes more work to get a smooth finish. Its also alot heavier than other kinds of woods. I have an 83 fender elite havent been able to find out what wood they used to make it but its like a concrete block. Mixing woods is pretty common now. Doesnt make it bad or good. As for agathis never used it so dont know. Some might like the tone others may not. How long has everybody been fighting about alder v mahogany?
I think you will find that a guitar company that supplies budget guitars will build with materials that there happens to be a lot of in the region.

In china they seem to have a lot of agathis and phillipine mahogany (heck, plywood seems to grow on trees there too!)
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
I found the Agathis Squiers and Ibanez I tried were quite bright, but with a bit of mud in there somewhere in the midrange and a lack of resonance and clarity, I didn't get a lot of bass response either.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
agathis is usually found in cheap guitars. This isnt necesarily because it sounds bad, but more because it grows in abundance in asian countries where companies outsource their cheaper guitars to.

Therefore you'll rarely find a good guitar with agathis.

A few luthiers do say that agathis has some nice qualities(search google) so it isnt a bad wood.

IMO, its darker than alder and a little muddier, but with heavy strings it makes for a good guitar wood. Its very bassy and light-ish.

Its not the best wood in the world of course, but one its cheap for companies to use and when you get a good sample it will sound quite nice.

like RGman says, companies usually use what woods are most easily available in the region
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I don't know why people say agathis is a bad tonewood. I guess its because some squiers are made of agathis, and dumb people just shout "omg sqiure sux" and say the same about anything associated with them.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
A mate of mine has a Yamaha Pacifica and it sounds so good I was surprised to find it was made from the "cursed" agathis, a wood also used for BC Rich Warlocks which you have to admit have the tonal variety of a toaster

Apparently the quality of agathis varies kinda erratically from BC Rich Warlock style "plywood that grows" to Fender-y alder.
I found that Agathis is low density, But I did notice it's quite resonant.

The tonal qualities change from guitar to guitar... Some have a nice clean sound, Nothing outstanding but deffiantly not BAD while others have quite a muffled unclear sound with little sustain, and others were quite harsh sounding. But that could also be down to the electronics/amps etc.

All in all I'm not too fond on it, It differs way too much between guitars and usually has a harsh/trebly distortion or a muffled sound, The clean is okay, Unplugged it can be quite resonant and loud.

But I can't really compare LTD's/Bc riches etc... The craftsmanship on low end models isn't too nice.

Paul.
Its just not a very good sounding wood in the end. My co-guitarist has 2 guitars made from agathis (bc richs, go figure) and they don't sustain near so well as guitars made from tonewoods.

Look into a guitar with Ash, Alder, Basswood or mahogany.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I personally like agathis. It is very lightweight, common for guitars, thus making it incredibly cheap to produce and replace. You won't notice a big sound difference in woods. You should be more concerned about getting a neck through design and pick ups than the body materials.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Last edited by CLIFF_BURTON at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
I personally like agathis. It is very lightweight, common for guitars, thus making it incredibly cheap to produce and replace. You won't notice a big sound difference in woods. You should be more concerned about getting a neck through design and pick ups than the body materials.

No...don't listen to this guy. If you want to have good sound in the long run, you might as well buy a guitar with not great pickups (like an Ibanez) then replace the pickups to have a guitar with good pickups and good wood.

Don't get a guitar with good pickups and bad wood over a guitar with bad pickups and good wood.

Pickups can always be changed, you can't change the wood of your guitar.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Another downside that I don't think's been mentioned yet is that it's much heavier, and therefor just a pain in the ass sometimes. True, the tone is much darker as well.
Jackson Rhoads V: The Hippie-Slayer
I get bad sustain, that's all I'm bothered about with my Agathis guitar.

Though that might be a killer combination of Agathis and a LFR.
ESP LTD M-100FM Tone Zone (B)/Breed Neck (N) w/ Coil Splits
Fender Electro-Acoustic
Line6 Studio UX2
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay/DS-1 Distortion Robert Keeley ULTRA Mod
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Dunlop SW-95 Crybaby Slash Wah
Quote by Esparko
I get bad sustain, that's all I'm bothered about with my Agathis guitar.

Though that might be a killer combination of Agathis and a LFR.

Probably due to the lfr. I get decent sustain on my warlock, but it also has a larger bridge than most guitars....
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by edge11
i think james hetfiel played an agathis forest

The lowest version of the forest series I've ever seen him play is the F400 series. Thats NOT agathis.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by edge11
um ive seen a pic of him playing the f-200

I doubt it. It was probably an ESP or a publicity shot.
The only bad tonewood is plywood. Everything else is subjective. People say agathis is bad, but that's usually because it's paired with low-quality parts on cheap guitars. It's actually very closely related to everyone's favorite tonewood (mahogany!)
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
this thread is resumed to:
1.- the wood you like the tone of is what you should choose. if you like your yards tree tone, pick that, if you dont, go for other thing
2.- agathis is lightweight.
3.- bc rich's guitars suck
4.- avoid plywood, but any other wood is of personal choice
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I have a BC Rich made of that its got factory pichups and hardware and its got a sick tone for blues and a grate tone for rock i dont play heavy metal though and my amp is only a biginners amp (haven't got the money for a marshall)but i get a sound that could rival most guitars made of expensive wood for a distorted tone anyway
Last edited by V/H at May 7, 2009,
Agathis is just another wood. I'm sure there a good examples and bad examples. It's got a stigma attached to it because it is used on cheaper instruments, but it can be good.

Just like basswood. Good and bad examples. The difference here is that the good examples of basswood are actually desired for guitars and thus paid highly for. Agathis, I think it's a case of luck of the draw.
Read up on Agathis. It's not "bad" wood. I read it's a cheaper alternative to mahoghany. I had a B.C. Rich Warlock made out of Agathis, with the stock pups and it was very resonant, had really good sustain, good tone. Also, there are basses out there that are made out of Agathis, I think the lower end LTD's, and they are very resonant, with good punchy tone, too. Go try out an Agathis guitar out and see if you can tell a difference.
I remember when I didnt even know what wood they made guitars out of, back in the day. I didnt care what it was made of, I just got what I liked and didnt care about specs....I sure was much happier back then,LOL!!
Page 1 of 2