Hey UG-ers,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the cheapest decent-sounding Marshall amp loud enough to play small gigs is (cheap as in under 1000usd if possible, the cheaper the better). I heard the MG series sucks but I want more suggestions. And, the amp isn't for me, and the dude I'm getting it for like, really wants a Marshall or he'll be heartbroken.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Can it be a Marshall clone?
I heard pretty good things about the Ceriatone and you could probably get hold of one at or under $1000.

www.ceriatone.com

That's about all I can contribute to the thread though I'm not very familiar with Marshalls.

Also maybe a used JCM series amp? Don't know how much they go for but you could probably get one at a decent enough price.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Used JCM series would be good. What style of music are we talking about here?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
What style of music are we talking about here?

I think the dude I'm buying it for is into stuff like Every Time I Die and Unearth (who rock, btw).

So he wants pretty heavy gain.
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
wait........ who are you buying an amp for? thats a lot of money to be thrown down for a gift
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
OK, I'll look into JCM, also, is it true that the MG's are terrible?

It's a gift for a friend of mine who's b-day is coming up. I owe him some cash anyway so dropping a few hundred isn't a big deal.
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
MG's are like the squiers of amps. They are basically made with the cheapest material and construction for beginning players who dont have a lot of money. They especially sound bad cranked which is something you'd be doing at gigs, and is a very bad idea.

But like everyone else said a JCM seems to be exactly what your looking for. Although you would probably have to go used, but a JCM is an amazing amp, pretty versatile, really good gain, and an awesome tone especially cranked. If you could get your hands on one I think it would be perfect for you
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
MG's and AVT's suck (AVT don't suck as much as MGs, but they're way overpriced).

Anyway I don't think your friend knows what he wants. Marshalls are not the best amps for metalcore. I think he's just going with the Marshall hype.

A Peavey 5150 combo (you can get them used for $600-$800) is a better choice.
I don't have any firsthand experience with one, but I know a lot of UGers aren't too fond of the AVT series as well.
OK, thanks for the info guys. I'll go hunt down a JCM.
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Can it be a Marshall clone?
I heard pretty good things about the Ceriatone and you could probably get hold of one at or under $1000.

www.ceriatone.com

That's about all I can contribute to the thread though I'm not very familiar with Marshalls.

Ceriatone is awesome. but shipping to US is already $100+... u can still get a prebuild JCM800 clone for $600+$100 ship though. good stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
AVTs are pretty good, but wayyy overpriced.

I'd try a Peavey Windsor or a used JCM-900, JCM-900s get no love, and thus sell for dirt cheap.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I dont think any Marshall by itself will give you the level of distortion you want... don't limit yourself to one brand
^it will. but peaveys might be a better choice though.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard