Comparing it to other low/mid level MFX/Modelers it's pretty good. Otherwise it's just another low/mid level MFX/Modeler.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
It depends what amp you are putting the tonelab into. its probably worth it if you are putting it through a crappy solid state or a PA. I dont have any use for mine any more though now i have a nice tube amp.
Well, that sounded pretty f***ing goddamned good to me! I was afraid that the ToneLab couldn't overdrive hard enough to do metal—you know, it being made by Vox and all . . .

I was about to buy a Damage Control Demonizer, sight-unseen. Via mail-order (since no one stocks them locally)! I tried to demo a Vox ToneLabLE at Guitar Center a couple weeks ago, but they didn't want to bother pulling it out of the box and set it up. I guess I'll go over there again, and force them to demo it. I mean, unlike the Demonizer, at least they have one!
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by Kendall
Comparing it to other low/mid level MFX/Modelers it's pretty good. Otherwise it's just another low/mid level MFX/Modeler.
Yeah, but at least it's one with an actual 12AX7 tube in it.
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 6, 2007,
If your in the UK i'll sell you mine as i dont use it any more and its collecting dust.
Quote by bobeatsbob
If your in the UK i'll sell you mine as i dont use it any more and its collecting dust.
Enlighten me. Why are you selling it? What don't you like about it? (I'm in Los Angeles, California).

I dont use the any of the amp models on it and i don't really require any of the effects except the delay every now and again. I am currently going through a stage when i just plug my guitar into the amp with no pedals in the middle.
From the Vox ToneLabLE product description . . .

"The new 24-bit Tonelab LE includes a few improvements on its popular predecessor, the Tonelab SE . . . Finally, the new Tonelab wouldn't be complete without some new effects! A new "metal distortion" sound will satisfy your need for extreme gain . . . "

Hmmmm . . . I never noticed this bit of copy. I am definitely giving this a try on my next trip to Guitar Center.

But then this reviewer at Harmony Central said something that disturbed me a bit . . .

"What makes the ToneLab LE even more effective, in my opinion, is the full suite of Overdrive / Distortion stompbox models that are available BEFORE the pre-amp/amp model simulations."

If the "overdrive/distortion stompbox" simulation comes before the preamp, wouldn't you then sacrifice everything you sacrifice when you put a real distrotion pedal in front of your real amp? Namely, any semblance of your guitar's tone?

And then there was this one . . .

"The tube isn't a preamp so don't let that kid you. Its part of the VR circuit. I didn't like the cabinet models at all."

And this . . .

"One problem I had was getting the right distortion/gain/noise reduction settings. It's very noisy and muddy until you get real picky about the tone. You will eventually find some good tones. The metal distortion isn't as good as I expected, but the tube distortion was very good."

i think the tonelab is the same as the "blue" valvetronix modelling (the more expensive valvetronix), if you look at the amp/stompbox models they are the same.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by bobeatsbob
I dont use the any of the amp models on it and i don't really require any of the effects except the delay every now and again. I am currently going through a stage when i just plug my guitar into the amp with no pedals in the middle.

ill buy it off you mate pm me.