Heres the deal. I have a co-worker that is selling his Peavey cab, 4x12, forgot what the model of it is called, and he bought it for 600, selling it for 200. I know nothing of amps, or anything. I currently have a Crate FXT120 that sounds great IMO, but I don't like the lack of warm, bassy tone that I really want, it doesnt handle the bass too well, especially at loud volumes, because its solid state.

He brought it over today so I could play out of it, and it gives it that extra bite I wanted, and sounds great, even at low volumes. Im not sure if its a tube amp or a solid state, do cabs come in SS or Tube? Im not sure if thats in the cab or the head. Anyways, I had used my Crate as a head, and I think it sounded good. My question is, should I buy the cab or not? And if so, anything I should know? Im not sure whether I should buy it or not, im tight on money as I just ordered the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and its costing 86 dollars to install, and a Line 6 Toneport that cost me $250

In general Peavey speakers are not the best, but for $200 I think its a good deal. It sounds better to you, so grab it. Down the road you can replace the speakers if you feel like you need to, but they are alright as is unless you are going to crank your amp up past 6 or so. I wouldn't recommend you play the Crate louder than that setting anyway for the best sound.
Quote by T!AN
Cabs will work with both tube and ss heads, you just have to match the ohms.

What?

Quote by uldhppi
In general Peavey speakers are not the best, but for $200 I think its a good deal. It sounds better to you, so grab it. Down the road you can replace the speakers if you feel like you need to, but they are alright as is unless you are going to crank your amp up past 6 or so. I wouldn't recommend you play the Crate louder than that setting anyway for the best sound.

Ive never even gone past 5, not even when playing live.