Wat r some good funk songs and some good funk bands?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Not strictly funk, but Jamiroquai are definately brilliant for getting into funky bass playing. Prominent, easy to follow basslines, really catchy songs that anyone who is aware of the 90's can sing and/or dance along to. Tasteful use of the staple funk effects. A great introduction to the genre if you ask me.

And of course, the everpresent James Brown, Bootsy Collins, Sly and the Family Stone/Anything Larry Graham and Parliament/Funkadelic.

First person to recommend Flea gets a cricket bat to the knees for starting the eternal dead horse beating of "funk or not?" and no doubt dragging the thread way off topic.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Sex Machine by James Brown has a great bass line.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by elemenohpee
Tower of power - What is hip

just my 2 cents.

Totally forgot Tower of Power. Good one.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by guitarsolo_17
Bela Fleck- Sinister Minister
" "- Sex in A Pan
Stanley Clarke- School Days (duh)

Ya right like i could play some victor wooten stuff....I can play school days alrdy.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
I'm probably going to get crucified for this, but I'm finding Wooten gets less and less funky as time goes on. He's insanely skilled, but seems to want to make sure we know just how rapid that thumb of his is, more than really get groovy.
im not saying anythign about flea.... but i think 21st century is a pretty funky song... the verse at least......any one know what effect he uses in it?

and graham central station has good stuff

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by coltonsalter
Early red hot chili peppers are the best!!

Watch out for incoming cricket bats...

anyways...
Two Words:

Brick House.

I love that groove.
Quote by coltonsalter
Early red hot chili peppers are the best!!

Also, I forgot to mention the likes of The Meters, Earth, Wind & Fire and Kool and the Gang (before they went disco).

Edit: Yoink
Last edited by Caustic at Oct 6, 2007,
Learn some basslines by Bootsy Collins. He's got the grooves.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by solid_moose
Jaco Pascaocaociacoacacos~sp?

jaco pastorious...... he is jazz for the most part i think

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Chic - Le Freak
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Howz about The Undisputed Truth? You+Me=Love is the funkiest song known to man.

Or try The Ohio Players, The Meters, The Fatback Band, Positive force, Jimmy Mcgriff, Curtis Mayfield or The Isley Brothers.

That should keep you busy for a while....
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

The meters are good, worth a listen
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Thank god someone mentioned the Meters. They always seem to get left out of these threads.

Some other suggestions--check out Cameo, Kool and the Gang, Average White Band, and Zapp (their song "Freedom" has a decent funky bass line).

And a shout out to the person who mentioned the Isley Brothers. "Its your thing" is one of my favorite jam songs. Right funky all round.
Last edited by anarkee at Oct 6, 2007,
Oh yes, the Isley Brothers got da funk....he he he.

Other funky freeks to try could include, Cymande - Brothers on the slide.
Ripple - Don't know what it is but it sure is funky
Aaron Neville - Hercules
Lakeside - Fantastic Journey
Dynasty - I don't want to be a freak,(but I can't help myself).
And Johnny Guitar Watson, anything of his has the funk in bucketloads.
Quote by Gunpowder
Sekhmet: Known for ritually sacrificing the innards of small woodland creatures.

Also, being a girly-girl.

Quote by Creepingjesus73
As for you, Mistress of Mayhem; just remember who it is who can lick * *** + *****'* **** *****out of the ****** of the ***!

the bone shakers r good but pretty unknown u wont find ne tabs but if your ears good which im assuming it is u should have fun
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by Flea_Is_God
Dee lite - groove is in the heart

Yes--putting Bootsy Collins on a song does automatically qualify it as funky.
Quote by anarkee
Yes--putting Bootsy Collins on a song does automatically qualify it as funky.

It's funny because it's true
Quote by creepingjesus73
Might I also suggest tracking down Billy Paul's song 'Am I Black Enough For Ya', or Stanley Clarke's 'Funk Is It's Own Reward'. I'd still love to know who the bassist was on the Billy Paul song, if anyone knows.

That was the session bass player for Philadelphia International, Ron Baker. He's the credited bassist for the album 360 degrees of Billy Paul. For more listings of the records he played on see: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ron+Baker