finds EMG pickups to be excellent for more than just metal? I've heard complaints from non-fans of active pickups about how they have sterile tone and terrible cleans. I threw an 81/60 combo into my Gibson explorer, and absolutely love them, to the point where I pretty much swear by actives now. I was surprised to find though, that aside from an intensely heavy metal tone, they're also capable of superb mid-gain tones, and surprisingly good cleans! Granted, there's likely better pickups out there for those sort of tones, but these things seem to suit all my tonal needs!

I guess it's not much of a surprise that a metalhead likes them! But I like the 81's mid-gain, and even clean tone much more than the stock 500T I took out (though the 60 is usually what I use for cleans)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Personally, I think EMG's are bland. I mean, you can put them in a tissue box and a 5,000 dollar guitar and get the same sound. I dont knpow. Ive never truly played them for more than a few minutes, so thats my opinion
i still love emgs active or not but now im going for a more warm tone i think so im gonna buy some seymour duncan passives for my new guitar i think
I was playing an Ibanez with a pair of them today.

They're great for harmonics , I'll give them that.

But they're too dark and fuzzy to make for any good jazz or rockabilly.

Though for rock high gain rock and maybe some blues they'd probably be fine.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
oh yeah and listen to zakk wylde's cleans in like blood is thicker than water by bls,great song great cleans,great pickups
haha

so i went to this kids house to jam (hes a drummer)

and he was like hey check out this bluesy sound i can get from my emgs

and he plugged it into a spider II turned to "blues"

and i was like......... no

so to answer your queston
the only thing i think they are good for is heavy distortion

they just sound to proccessed for me
dude.......
Quote by Sir_Awesomeness
haha

so i went to this kids house to jam (hes a drummer)

and he was like hey check out this bluesy sound i can get from my emgs

and he plugged it into a spider II turned to "blues"

and i was like......... no

so to answer your queston
the only thing i think they are good for is heavy distortion

they just sound to proccessed for me

You're basing the "blues" sound of EMGs off of what it sounds like through a Spider?

I agree, they do sound nice for other styles of music and are very versatile, despite what people say.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by nedthehead
Personally, I think EMG's are bland. I mean, you can put them in a tissue box and a 5,000 dollar guitar and get the same sound. I dont knpow. Ive never truly played them for more than a few minutes, so thats my opinion

you need to play them for "more than a few minutes" to make a sweeping generalization like that. Maybe you can't hear it, but they sound markedly different in different woods and guitars, just like any other pickup. They work just like any other pickup, the difference being they use a much weaker magnet, and boost the signal with a powered preamp. There is no A/D converter, it's still an analog signal. It allows them to be very quiet as far as feedback, and you can put them very close to the strings without their field affecting sustain.

I've heard some great recordings with them, high fidelity "clean" cleans, and some great crunch tones.

Quote by Alex The Red
I was playing an Ibanez with a pair of them today.

They're great for harmonics , I'll give them that.

But they're too dark and fuzzy to make for any good jazz or rockabilly.

Though for rock high gain rock and maybe some blues they'd probably be fine.

listen to some Bela Fleck sometime, and then reconsider what they can do. He has some of the best clean tones I've ever heard live.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Oct 6, 2007,
Remember that tone is very subjective.

EMG's worked well for me for a while, but not until I tried something drastically different did I realize that I no longer thought EMG to be the universal pickup. After moving on I feel like my tone has more depth while being more subtle. At this point I've come full circle: "EMG's are great for metal" to "EMG's are great for everythingl" to "EMG's are ONLY great for metal" to "EMG's are not great."

I used EMG's religiously (for everything) for two or three years until I played a guitar with Burstbucker Pro's. I used Burstbucker Pro's for about a year and a half until I had to chance to try out several offerings from Bare Knuckle. Shortly thereafter I switched and I now use Bare Knuckle's religiously.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by FlightofIcarus
finds EMG pickups to be excellent for more than just metal? I've heard complaints from non-fans of active pickups about how they have sterile tone and terrible cleans. I threw an 81/60 combo into my Gibson explorer, and absolutely love them, to the point where I pretty much swear by actives now. I was surprised to find though, that aside from an intensely heavy metal tone, they're also capable of superb mid-gain tones, and surprisingly good cleans! Granted, there's likely better pickups out there for those sort of tones, but these things seem to suit all my tonal needs!

I guess it's not much of a surprise that a metalhead likes them! But I like the 81's mid-gain, and even clean tone much more than the stock 500T I took out (though the 60 is usually what I use for cleans)

Yea...

Well the 496R and 500T are pretty sucky IMO.

I play classic rock and blues and IMHO EMGs are boring and way too sterile for that and I would never use them for what I play. But I'd definetly say that they're good enough gor a "metalhead" sometimes wanting to play rock
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
i've got emgs in one of my old epis and it sounds great. the theory about emgs being only good for metal is fairly similar to tube amps being really hard to take care of. that being said...i do think that they let less of my guitar's true tone shine through. i prefer passives for what i play, but that's not to say emgs aren't good. they're just not my cup of tea.