Ok I know this is the pit and not the slipknot thread if there is one, but I was wondering what people would think of this. My brother for some reason thinks that a good estimate of slipknot's fan base would be about one billion, or very very close to about 1/7 of the world's current population. It is currently estimated that the world's population is at like 6.65 billion ish. and with those numbers 1/7 is pretty close. Now I gave an estimate of about 10 to 20 million, I also said that was quite an over estimation too. But he swears that at least a quarter of the the US plus people in china and japan just love slipknot, however I think that is a load of crap. I'm willing to bet that you could not get 1/7 of the world to like something along the lines of a band. I'm pretty sure you could not get 1/7 of the world to like pepperoni pizza.

On their myspace, which I know is not very accurate they only have like 620,000 friends, rounding up of course. However I think that it would be a good representation of the portion of the world that may like them. So if you found out how many people use myspace you might be able to estimate it based on the world's population... I should go and see about figuring that out.
I doubt that... is he younger brother? and if so how old
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
thats how many people are on myspace
Quote by rocker138
Wow...I can't believe no one thought of that, I actually have lost 5% of my confidence for not thinking of that, I bow to you

MY GEAR
EPIPHONE LES PAUL STANDARD
RANDALL RG75 G2 SERIES
MARSHALL JACKHAMMER
Wow...yeah, your bro is wayyy overestimating Slipknot's fan base. Or any band's fan base, for that matter.
Quote by Grimme
I know plenty believe me. I've seen both Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine live, so don't tell me I don't know my metal.

www.myspace.com/awkwardsilencemusic
lol. what a joke. nobody likes slipknot. your brother is deluded.

edit:
Quote by i_am_ironman
thats how many people are on myspace

ok, here, now this will be very inaccurate, but we can still use it:

lets imagine that 204318075 is the world population, and of that population, 620000 people like slipknot.
that means that 1/330 people like slipknot.

nowhere near 1/7

now, lets keep in mind that the 204 million people who have myspace are people who have access to the mainstream media, and they are the people who are MOST LIKELY to have heard of slipknot. now, given that the world population is far greater than 204 million, i am willing to bet that the actual fraction of people who like slipknot is probably more like 1/10 000.

your brother is sooooo wrong lol.
Quote by Machanix
We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back!

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far
Than A Wise And Productive Old Age

Good Girls Go To Heaven, But The Bad Girls Go Everywhere!
Last edited by instagata0 at Oct 6, 2007,
The Beatles might have come close to 1/7 at one point, but I don't know for sure
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
I think your under estimating it as much as he is over estimating it. Gotthard, a hard rock band from Switzerland sold 1 million albums in Switzerland, of a population of 8 million.
Psh.

Gregorian Chant FTW.

HALO 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Ok well I did some searching and there are an estimated 43million users that are active of myspace and about 100 million accounts according to the first google article I found. So I used the 43 million as my basis. If out of 43 million people 620,000 people have slipknot as their friend that is 1.44% of the 43 million people. So If I take 1.44% of 7 billion I get 100,800,000. However I think that is kinda high IMHO.

I know it is not going to be a very good representation because myspace is not in every country, and not every country has heard of slipknot, but I think that it may put it into perspective a little for me and him which will be a good thing.

This all started because he said fall out boy is a sell out band, and well they are, however I said you would be hard pressed to find a band that is in the mainstream that has not sold out in some form or another. And he told me to name one and I said any band that has ever done a commercial. Then he told me to tell him one of the bands that he likes that has sold out and the only band I ever remember on the spot that he likes is slipknot and so I was kinda stumped because I don't listen to the music he likes really. I did a quick google search and found out they have music in video games and I said that is selling out then he got defensive and after I left he came back and told me they were sell outs because they have a skateboard brand or something like that. Then he tried to change it by saying that he thinks fall out boy is a bigger sell out than slipknot and he was not saying slipknot is not a sell out in the first place. However I don't think you an compare slipknot and fall out boy in the terms of money they make from products because in America it would be finical suicide to have slipknot embrace your product as opposed to fall out boy. I also said there is only one level of selling out and that is selling out.
Last edited by chaoticgeek at Oct 6, 2007,
^ 100,000,000 would be a reasonable estimation. taking in to account the longevity, ammount of records theyve sold, it is quite possible
Quote by instagata0
ok, here, now this will be very inaccurate.

someting tells me he meant there were 2000000 people on myspace altogether, not 2000000 slipknot fans on myspace.
Quote by beau05
^ 100,000,000 would be a reasonable estimation. taking in to account the longevity, ammount of records theyve sold, it is quite possible

100 million fans? That is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe for a classic band that has sold at least 100 million albums it would make more sense(even then, VERY rarely)... but Slipknot? Hell no. It is not quite possible.
Quote by Mudmen190
I think your under estimating it as much as he is over estimating it. Gotthard, a hard rock band from Switzerland sold 1 million albums in Switzerland, of a population of 8 million.

Maybe a clumsy man lost his album 1 million times, and just had to keep re-buying it?
who would know, the only way you could tell is if u made every body who can read and understand music do a servay asking weather they liek slipknot or not. but that would go inaccurate within a week
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Quote by chaoticgeek
a good estimate of slipknot's fan base would be about one billion

Lulz.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

I think 100.000.000 sounds just slightly huge... especially if we're actually talking about *fans*, and not just people who like their music. but... if they have 620.000 friends on myspace, and only weirdoes have myspace (jk, no need to flame), so there must be alot of people who like them, that don't have myspace, it really doesn't sound that crazy anymore.

I hope no one understands what i wrote there. I sure as hell don't!

PS. There is no way in HELL slipknot have a fanbase of 1 billion.
My Build! The Razorbeast Could really use some help.

I am always right. and if I am always right, my first statement about always being right, by simple logic, must be true, thus proving that I am always right. dependency loops rule.
Quote by thera_x
someting tells me he meant there were 2000000 people on myspace altogether, not 2000000 slipknot fans on myspace.

thats what i worked out. he said theres 620 000 slipknot fans and 2000000(whatever) people on myspace, and that worked out to be what i said.
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Maybe a clumsy man lost his album 1 million times, and just had to keep re-buying it?

I lol'd
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
um.
like a year or 2 ago it was said to have a world population of around 9billion???
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THE MISSING 2.5BILLION PEOPLE??!?!?!?!?!

not even 1/7 of world population probably even likes metal.
out of the metal population, only about 1/5 might like slipknot mediocre-like.
and out of that, 1/3 will probably be fans.
your brother needs to come to my house, so i can kick him in his retarded dome.
Megadeth have their music in many games, does that mean they sold out?

Even if its true, good music + good game = Awesome.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Last edited by Metal_Rich at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by Metal_Rich
Megadeth have their music in many games, does that mean they sold out?

Even if its true, Good music + good game = Awesome.

nothing beats a good game with good music
+1 and to you Metal_Rich
Did you ever stop to think about how most of the world's population are in Africa, who care more about getting through the day than stupid slipknot questions?
Quote by Shylock
Well, If I woke up a girl, I would immediantly proceed to achieving an orgaism.

because they are superior to ours.

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!
Quote by Matty_V
Did you ever stop to think about how most of the world's population are in Africa, who care more about getting through the day than stupid slipknot questions?

buddy, africa does not house most of the worlds population...

however, your point is still fine, and you're right that people living in poverty will not care about slipknot
Quote by Machanix

A Wasted Youth
Is Better By Far

Quote by abcdboy
Psh.

Gregorian Chant FTW.

HALO 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

m8 halo 3 is so overrated and is stupid neway. too much like halo 2
Empty Space
How do you even determine who is a "fan" and who is not? There is no possible way to calculate this at all.