Who cares. It's punk. It doesn't matter. That's punk for you.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
What type of punk? Do you mean old punk like The Clash or The Ramones or pop punk or hardcore punk or what?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Revalk

hell yea
yerp im sure ill add something amazing here some day.
Quote by Revalk

Exactly.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Depends on your amp
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Well the amp and guitar are far more important than pickups, what are you using?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Most of the sound from punk comes from driven amps. But yeh high distortion is always good.

P90's are meant to be good as well.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
^High distortion isn't ALWAYS good. The Clash didn't use that much overdrive, even on their first album. I think you should stick with the stock pickups, unless they're really terrible.

Edit: As far as pedals, Mick Jones used delay and phasing, but if you're playing pop-punk and hardcore punk, you probably don't have any use for pedals.
Last edited by werty22 at Oct 6, 2007,
hmmm i suggest i know there not cheap but maybe gibson dirty fingers? that guy from blink used them(not that they are punk they suck ass but its a real high output pickup)
^^ maybe he plays pop - punk and hardcore but wants to add some of his own flavor to the mix? Just becuase the people he listens to dont use them doesnt mean he should forget that they exist and offer a much larger range of diverse tones.

^ Dont go dirty fingers, my friend has one and they are expensive and, imo, just blatantly loud and blunt.

Im no punk expert, but form what i know the music and the sound is, correct me if im wrong, suppose to be driven by your passion and the whole of cranking it up and thrashing it. ENERGY! Bring out the sounds you want through your playing. And if your still dissatisfied maybe look into JB/59 pickup switch. A new amp will have more of a dramatic effect.

What bands in specific do you listen to? Dont worry about getting flamed if you are...but it is alot easier to look up the amp a guitarist uses than the amp of a genre.
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Bridge humbucker + Distortion pedal

But as somone said before

"Who cares. It's punk. It doesn't matter. That's punk for you."
I don't even shred
Punk isnt about getting the right sound, like someone said "Who cares. It's punk. It doesn't matter. That's punk for you.". Anyway punk bands didnt use specific things to get that sound, they had whatever guitar they had, no alterations and a amp with distortion
Manchester United
well i currently have a pair of emg 81/60, but i was thinkin maybe there was a better pickup for the job, and im currently using a ****ed up peavey bandit 112, that i took off a friend but im looking to buy a new amp around $500-750.

as for music im looking to have a little mellower hardcore sound, not really a mellow sound coming from the guitar but more melodic like pop punk, so kinda fusing the two together to get a catchy pop punk sound with some skull shattering hardcore if you get what im saying

yea "punk isnt abot caring" but **** that i do care
Last edited by DirtyMcCurty at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by CZMQFRG
Seymour Duncan Invader always wins

wins what...the award for "Most likely to reveal someone as a noob by them recommending it"?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
so i should just keep the emg's instead of goin for duncans or somethin? i know i should go try them out but id like some input first
I think you will get too much gain from EMGs. Maybe if you name some of your influences we can give you more educated suggestions.
Quote by DirtyMcCurty
well i currently have a pair of emg 81/60, but i was thinkin maybe there was a better pickup for the job, and im currently using a ****ed up peavey bandit 112, that i took off a friend but im looking to buy a new amp around $500-750.

go get the amp.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Pickups for punk = wotevas in ur guitar + your amps dirty channel.

And i'm not bein pissy either, i'm serious, i played punk for a long time and thats all i ever used.
influences, well lets see newfond glory has been pretty big influence, other than that some hardcore stuff like poison the well, a static lullaby, guttermouth to name a few.