I was searching around the forums, and I've seen a few posts on good cables but nothing really definitive.

At the moment, I need to pick up a bunch of patch cables to wire up my pedal chain. At Guitar Center, I've seen these patch cables go anywhere from 4 bucks to upwards of 20 bucks. Basically, I'm wondering how much money should I be spending on patch cables, and what brands are a reliable (and hopefully economical for a poor college student) choice to buy.

Thanks in advance.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
As long as the patches are properly shielded (IE are proper coax cable) then they'll be fine. If using long lengths of cable, get high quality stuff but you can make your own for nothing.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I just buy the Live Wire brand stuff carried by Guitar Center. The Mogamis are ridiculously priced. I avoid Monster Cable brand cable, just on principle. All my keyboards are balanced-TRS, so I have little to no noise issues there. My guitar signal currently goes through only a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal, and an Alesis flanger, using one of those short $4 cables, and things are pretty darned quiet (and I don't even use the built-in noise gate in the Line 6 pedal, since it steals some sustain).

Maybe you could try a bunch of the $4 short cables (I think know which ones you're talking about), and see how much noise you get once you get all your pedals hooked up. If you hear a discernable amount of noise, step up one grade of cable, and try that. I'm lucky, in that, my Strat happens to have some sort of polarity switch or something, and switching that elminates like 90% of my pick-up hum.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Oct 6, 2007,
If you have money to burn get George Ls or something like that, but if you don't just get whatever you can afford. TBH there's more to worry about in terms of tone loss such as the bypass on your pedals and the longer cables.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Thanks for the replies, guys (and gal). I'm just going to buy a few of the cheap patch cables and see how those work for me. Worst case scenario, I still haven't wasted too much of my money.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by LEVEL4
I avoid Monster Cable brand cable, just on principle.

With Monster, you're really paying for the lifetime warranty, not for a tremendously better cable. But if you're gigging, that warranty's a nice thing to have. Bring in your broken cable, get a brand new one. Done.

Quote by MrCarrot
As long as the patches are properly shielded (IE are proper coax cable) then they'll be fine. If using long lengths of cable, get high quality stuff but you can make your own for nothing.

This is a great idea, and one worth considering. Not only could you make yourself some great custum-length cables cheap, but you'd also be refining your soldering skills at the same time. Win-win!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania

This is a great idea, and one worth considering. Not only could you make yourself some great custum-length cables cheap, but you'd also be refining your soldering skills at the same time. Win-win!

yeah that's what i did. i went to the store, bought their best cable and plugs and made one myself. it's just as good if not better than those expensive store cables.
Mogami also carries a lifetime warranty similar to Monster's, and generally gets you a better bang for your buck. They're expensive, but worth it. I think I'm pushing upwards of $500 in Mogami cable in my rig right now.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM