Page 1 of 2
well its half term break, and this is a good chance to lose weight. I plan to eat healthily and exercise daily.

any suggestions on what to eat, and how much exercise to do daily?

I want to get into shape but I also dont want to go through hell, if you know what I mean. Im looking for a good compromise.
Have small vegetable / fruit snacks between your meals, keep your main meals relatively small, but eat a decent breakfast, and walk twice a day for, you know, a while. Twenty minutes, thirty minutes, whatever is comfortable for you. Long enough to feel like stopping, but not short enough that you don't feel it. Avoid candy, chips, cookies, soda, etc. but don't be afraid to have a soda here and there or a cookie or whatever. Don't restrict yourself. Eat what you love, in moderation. Do it right and you'll be fine. Do it wrong and you'll be me.
Eat: veggies, fruits, whole grain, lean meat (basically if you think its unhealthy it prolly is), STAY AWAY FROM COKES(and other soft drinks)
Excersize: at least 45 mins of cardio daily along with some weight training is good

HIIT(High Intenisty Interval Training) is usually recommended for losing weight, what it is is you do a warm up like some speed walking, and the sprint for about 45 seconds, then walk until you got your breath back and sprint for another 45 secs. theres aticles alover the internet on it, just google it.
You are now blinking manually
When you get up walk/jog before you eat. that way you burn fat not food you've just eaten. Eat carbs just after you've got back. It'll give you some energy and get your moltabulisum (sp?) going. then later in the day such as just after tea/dinner whatever you want to call it go for a 20-30 min walk. cut out chocolate/crisps/all other fatty foods as much as you can and pick on fruit and veg when you get hungry. Also drink water/squash with your meals and when ever else your thirsty. Have fun.
Quote by Keyphur

HIIT(High Intenisty Interval Training) is usually recommended for losing weight, what it is is you do a warm up like some speed walking, and the sprint for about 45 seconds, then walk until you got your breath back and sprint for another 45 secs. theres aticles alover the internet on it, just google it.

Do this, not long distance running.

And if you've got any weights available, use them.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

actually, its better to do weight training.
building muscle burns fat, because muscle needs fat to sustain itself.

sure running is healthy like wow for you, but its not gonna burn fat.

that doesn't mean dont do cardio exercises.
someone in perfect shape could have a ****ty heart.
and this girl in my health class who is pretty high overweight has a
pretty healthy heart at like a resting rate of 60something beats per minute.

I have a personal question myself.

whats a good thigh workout?
i know a workout for everything but my thighs, lol
normal intake is 2000 calories or a 18+ year old.
its about 3600 to lose 1pound of Weight.

however... i tryed sticking down to 1500 cal..and i got really ill fast.....maybe cuz im use to eating 3k+ but i burn most of it of anyway.

normal pluse rate from 14-18 is about 85 btw.
Ibanez S470
Boss ME-50...
Some old amp...

Quote by MrDURPEEDURP

whats a good thigh workout?
i know a workout for everything but my thighs, lol

An actual workout, or just exercises?

Squats, deadlifts, leg curls, leg extensions and tuck jumps are a few exercises off my head.

Quote by Keyphur

Yeah, this is extremely good for losing weight.

I do this now along with long walks and light weight training, as I am trying to lose some weight and just get in general shape.

In high school I worked out twice a day and walked two or three times a day. But most people don't need to do that, I was training to play football - which I never did do anyway. HIIT will help you a lot, just keep a fairly balanced diet and exercise and you'll be fine.
It's not much about the diet you use. If you want to lose weight you need to exercise alot; running, skipping, pressups squats, tuck jumps...That sort of stuff on a daily basis.
would doing a deadlift and squatting be a pretty good exercise for it?

like, doing a deadlift and while holding it up squat.

it came to my head, and sounded like it'd be a pretty intense exercise
Ive recently started uni, and with it a new diet. Im on a high carbs/protien diet, as its quite cheap and tastes good. Im suprised how well it works, though I am only eating lean meats.
Its a very high energy diet, which practically drives you into exercise, and is a great diet for bulking up a little too.

The best way to lose weight is to eat 3 meals a day, with no snacks, but if you have to snack, make it fruit of carrots or something. Start with a cereal and have some fruit with it, preferably whole grain like wheatabix (bannanas and various dried fruits go great with it), shredded wheat (the fruitful version is brilliant already done for you). Breakfast is what starts your bodys metabolism. So dont skip it, if you do, the slimming process will take a lot onger and have less of an effect.

Then have a lunch, this one can be quite flexible, sandwhiches and salads are nice and easy, and can taste great, though lay off things like mayo and high fat salad dressings (do NOT have a resteraunts ranch dressing on a salad, those things are practically melted fat).

Then for the main meal, something high in carbs and protein. my basic meal would be some pasta, normally cheese and ham, ham and mushroom, things like that with some meat thrown in. Chicken breasts are great, they can be cooked in many different ways and can be extremely healthy. sweet and sour chicken is a good cheap, easy to cook and healthy meal.

The next thing you need to worry about, is the 5 a day. Though its not necesary to have all 5 each day, you should be having it most days. Compliment this with drinking a lot of water, try to keep away from soft drinks, as these arent as good for you.

Lastly, exercise. Make sure to do cardio-vascular exercise, not just weight lifting. Yes lifting big and heavy weights makes you look healthy, but a well rounded athlete will be far healthier. Things like rowing machines, treadmills, or just rinning the street are extremely effective. For best results vary the intensity, dont just run 1km at one pace, run 200m jogging, followed by 200m running, then a 50-100m sprint. change it up, so your not doing it all in the same order. Your body will adapt to a pattern and so wont burn fat in the same way if you just keep doing it one after the other.

most importantly, dedicate yourself to doing exercise, do not say things like "ill start in 30 mins" as that 30 mins soon becomes 3 hours, then that 3 hours becomes tomorrow, tomorrow becomes next week, and your back to square 1 again.

good luck, and most importantly, have fun doing it, its not a chore you know

edit: FlashNinja just reminded me of something. Its imposible to work on just 1 area at a time, you cant lose weight from just your stomach, it will come from all over your body. So dont spend an afternoon doing situps and crunches and wonder why your stomachs not changed much.
cheers everyone. So basicly, a combination of eatin fruit, weight training and some cardio.
I believe eating 6-8 small meals a day is better for losing weight as it keeps the metabolism going.
Co-President of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Me, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by kidsilcon
It's not much about the diet you use. If you want to lose weight you need to exercise alot; running, skipping, pressups squats, tuck jumps...That sort of stuff on a daily basis.

Wrong. Diet is extremely important
put it like this in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in
on average with no excersize the average human body will burn about 2000 calories daily just through normal activities, with excersize you might expect to burn an extra 1000 calories, but thats actually quiet a bit of excersize.
so with no excersize there is still potential to lose weight. but that weight lost will be about 2/3 muscle, do to how much easier it is for the body to break down protein than to break down fat for energy. but through excersizing you are telling your body you are using those muscles, so it will take the fat instead. so yea excersize is important but diet is a NECESITY.
You are now blinking manually
word
Co-President of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Me, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by <CJ>
I believe eating 6-8 small meals a day is better for losing weight as it keeps the metabolism going.

Bingo!!

Eat 6 - 8 smaller meals evenly spaced through the day...

Denying your body food or just eating 3 big meals a day will often trick your body into starvation mode, where it stores fat as it panicks and thinks it will never get fed again.

Cut down on carbs, up your protein intake and keep eating some fats, as fats are esseintial in hormone production etc. Go for a 40 / 40 /20 split of protein / carbs / fat

To calculate your ideal calorie intake (ignore random figures quoted on here), use the following:

Calorie Calculator

Then using the figure from above, try eating 100 - 200 calories less than your BMR. If this works OK, then look at HIIT and weights for additonal weight loss.

Regards

SH
Quote by Keyphur
Wrong. Diet is extremely important
put it like this in order to lose weight you have to burn more calories than you take in
on average with no excersize the average human body will burn about 2000 calories daily just through normal activities, with excersize you might expect to burn an extra 1000 calories, but thats actually quiet a bit of excersize.
so with no excersize there is still potential to lose weight. but that weight lost will be about 2/3 muscle, do to how much easier it is for the body to break down protein than to break down fat for energy. but through excersizing you are telling your body you are using those muscles, so it will take the fat instead. so yea excersize is important but diet is a NECESITY.

Disagree, I know a few people who have lost weight through a rigarus training and exercise but still eats what they want but obviously not too much, i also know a few people who diet and not exercise as much. Diet is not the fundamental part of losing weight; its exercise.
Quote by kidsilcon
Disagree, I know a few people who have lost weight through a rigarus training and exercise but still eats what they want but obviously not too much, i also know a few people who diet and not exercise as much. Diet is not the fundamental part of losing weight; its exercise.

Bull...
That's like saying "I could eat 200 Big Macs a day, but as long as I do loads of exercise, I'll be Okay"

Diet is fundamental to weight loss, same as diet is fundamental to building muscle.

I bet all your friends are teenagers?? Fine, at an early age your hormones and metabolism are all over the shop, at 16 I could eat any old crap and not put on weight. Once your metabolism and hormones settle down, the fundamentals of biology and nutrition come into play...

Regards

SH
I have started exercising more recently. It makes you feel so much fresher and healthier after you get into a regime, as well as the obvious positive effects on the body it helps your mind and keeps your spirits up. When I feel depressed a run at night can be very cathartic. Cardio is the #1 for loosing weight, what ever you do don't starve yourself. So many people go on these intensive dieting/fasting and it just makes you ill, hunger is a sign that your belly needs filling, just try and break the snacking habits.
Not like you probably want to do this, but like 2 years
ago I was really fat, I went Vegan (which is almost
impossible to gain weight from) and I did HIIT every
other day and the other days I just worked on building
muscle. If you stick to something you will be glad you
did, I mean I'm pretty lazy but I lost 120 lbs in 2 years!
eat more often but less... like, split ur 3 meals in 2 have half of one every... 2 hours lets say, and youll get a high metabolism making you lose weight faster, also do weights because the more you weigh the faster you lose weight so if your heavy in muscle you will lose fat faster

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
I would put more focus on exercise than diet, threadstarter.

I'm about a year older than you, so all this "hormone stuff" can be ignored, as our bodies are likely to be developed about the same.

In the space of 2 months (about 6 - 8 months ago) I cut my body fat from 15% to about 9.5%. I didn't really change my diet at all, I still ate pizzas, bacon, sausage sandwiches, chips, your typical "junk, fatty foods". I also did very little cardio, during the 2 months I probably spent about a total of maybe 40 minutes on rowing machines/exercise bikes and treadmills combined.

Things I did do;

Used exercise machines with either;

A - the maximum weight I could work with

or

B - the maximum weight the machine could handle

Used dumbbells for;

Weighted jumps
Bicep curls
Bench press
Shoulder press
And more

- using as high a weight as I could, doing about 6 - 10 reps per set.

Used a barbell for;

Squats
Bench press
Bicep curls
Shoulder press
Calf raises

- Again, using as high a weight as I could and doing between 6 - 10 reps per set.

I also played basketball and cricket.

Basketball involves a lot of sprinting and jumping - working to your max.

Playing cricket involves lots of repeated short sprints.

Quote by JamieB
I would put more focus on exercise than diet, threadstarter.

I'm about a year older than you, so all this "hormone stuff" can be ignored, as our bodies are likely to be developed about the same.

In the space of 2 months (about 6 - 8 months ago) I cut my body fat from 15% to about 9.5%. I didn't really change my diet at all, I still ate pizzas, bacon, sausage sandwiches, chips, your typical "junk, fatty foods". I also did very little cardio, during the 2 months I probably spent about a total of maybe 40 minutes on rowing machines/exercise bikes and treadmills combined.

Things I did do;

Used exercise machines with either;

A - the maximum weight I could work with

or

B - the maximum weight the machine could handle

Used dumbbells for;

Weighted jumps
Bicep curls
Bench press
Shoulder press
And more

- using as high a weight as I could, doing about 6 - 10 reps per set.

Used a barbell for;

Squats
Bench press
Bicep curls
Shoulder press
Calf raises

- Again, using as high a weight as I could and doing between 6 - 10 reps per set.

I also played basketball and cricket.

Basketball involves a lot of sprinting and jumping - working to your max.

Playing cricket involves lots of repeated short sprints.

so....you did a lot of strength building, and quite intense aerobic exercise, but didnt change your diet?
one bottle of pepsi contains 250g of sugar, and the bad stuff. Not normal sugar, the one that stores as fat, so stay away from fizzy drinks. And drink ****e loadsa water, 8 or 9 pints a day, atleast. Im in the same situation lol, i eat relatively healthy, and im chubby, my mates at school have like 2 packs of chewing gum each, 2 bots of lucazade, sweet, crisps etc lol! and i have like 2 sandwitches. And there all like skinny as hell, except one who fat

And two bits of advice from my dad, only eat when ur hungry! and dont dothe gym. When he was younger he did gym every dayfor like 3 years, got into good shape and as soon as he stopped it just went like mega flabby. So just do exercise that aintto extreme
Last edited by Varkunus at Oct 6, 2007,
I know this will be frowned upon but im sick of my weight. It caused so much personal bullshit I'll do anything to rid of it.

Apple for breakfast, apple or orange for lunch and small dinner. That is all with an hour of swimming in the mornings.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by Mud Martian
Have small vegetable / fruit snacks between your meals, keep your main meals relatively small, but eat a decent breakfast, and walk twice a day for, you know, a while. Twenty minutes, thirty minutes, whatever is comfortable for you. Long enough to feel like stopping, but not short enough that you don't feel it. Avoid candy, chips, cookies, soda, etc. but don't be afraid to have a soda here and there or a cookie or whatever. Don't restrict yourself. Eat what you love, in moderation. Do it right and you'll be fine. Do it wrong and you'll be me.

Walking is NOT a good choice of exercise. It's downright a waste of time.

You gotta run. When you're struggling for air and your heart is pumping, you know you've had a good workout. It's these kinds of exercises that boost your metabolism and burn a lot of calories, not walking.

I suggest rather than eating 3 regular meals a day, eat 5 or 6 smaller ones. Eating food keeps the furnace burning (your metabolism).
^The thing with this 6 small meals a day is that it is pretty inconvenient. Unless you live on your own. A lot of the time I eat together in my household, so if I had a different schedule it would be a hassle. I think 3 good meals a day and healthy snacks is fine.

Also walking is not a waste of time, running can be pretty hard on the joints, so a fast walk burns a fair few calories.
^If you're serious about losing weight, walking or speed walking is not going to help very much. Especially not in a short timespan.
Hey, while we're on the topic of weight, I've got a couple of questions.

I run about 20 minutes each day and do 20 pushups and 40 situps every morning and night. I eat bagel + cream cheese for breakfast, bratwurst for lunch, and random **** for dinner. Based on what I've read in this thread, this doesn't seem like I'll lose much weight doing this. I'm not really hugely fat, but I would like to lose some weight, mabye go down from 210 to 180 or something by the end of the school year. I don't wanna hit the gym though because I already have enough **** to do in the afternoon as it is, and my parents won't drive me in in the morning, so what can I add to my current schedual to help me lose the weight and basically look a lot better then I do now?
Quote by Archaon
^If you're serious about losing weight, walking or speed walking is not going to help very much. Especially not in a short timespan.

riught. you neeed your heart rate to be elevated. when i cut down from a bulk i love using HIIT cardio. full out sprint for 1 minute, jog for 30 seconds, walk for 30, sprint for 2 etc...6 meals a day is manditory for bulking OR cutting, to keep your metabolism up. ive shaped my life around when i ahve to eat, and when i know ill eb away from home and can't eat, i pack something to eat meing. keep your carbs low and drink LOTS of water
Buy a bike and go places on it. I'm gonna start riding my bike to uni. When I bought it I didn't know it was 10 miles uphill, but oh well
I have a question for the people who know about this stuff...

I'm 16 years old, weigh about 200 pounds, and want to loose weight. How fast could i go from about 200 to 160ish? I'm willing to do anything btw.
Now when you mean willing to do anything......

Jokes aside same situation as poster above ^
If you want to lose weight just stop eating. When your body has no more carbs to use it will begin to use all that excess fat and once all that is gone it will begin to eat your muscles and when that is gone you die.
Quote by rasuya46
If you want to lose weight just stop eating. When your body has no more carbs to use it will begin to use all that excess fat and once all that is gone it will begin to eat your muscles and when that is gone you die.

No, just no.

If you don't eat at all, your body doesn't know when it's going to be fed again, so it stores as much fat as it can.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
You're all leading this guy in completely the wrong direction.

TS, what you should really consider is plastic surgery. No effort needed!
Page 1 of 2