hello :P
I did a search but couldn't find anything helpful, so im sorry my first post has to be a question. I've recently picked up the bass and ive got a roland cube 30. My problem is i cant find any sort of tone that sounds normal or even likeable. I'm having trouble wording this but hopefully its clear. I play MOSTLY metal, and while im not asking for exact equalisation settings, are there any recurring trends that will help me find an ok sound? (like on guitar how metallica scoop their mids etc.)
And another question... I always thought bass was a 'clean' insturment (ie. not distorted), but the amp has a gain knob... can someone explain what its use is?

Anyway hopefully you can understand that, and sorry for the newby questions (hopefully i dont get flamed like everyone seems to in the electric guitar section).

oh and btw the bass i use is a yamaha rbx170.
well i can't tell you any certainties because i don't own a cube.

but contrary to popular belief gain isn't distortion, gain is the input level, the amount of signal being let from the bass into the amp. the higher it goes the more it will distort on a tube amp but not on a solid state like your cube.

the best way to find a decent sound is to look through the amp's manual and find out what each knob does and what parameters it changes then experiment a bit
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
well i can't tell you any certainties because i don't own a cube.

but contrary to popular belief gain isn't distortion, gain is the input level, the amount of signal being let from the bass into the amp. the higher it goes the more it will distort on a tube amp but not on a solid state like your cube.

the best way to find a decent sound is to look through the amp's manual and find out what each knob does and what parameters it changes then experiment a bit

cheers
i was just looking through the manual before i read this. I'm starting to get hang of it all.
ok lol well i found out what my problem was (its always something dumb, isnt it?)

turns out while i thought i knew how the two pickup knobs operated on my rbx170, i didnt (i didnt get a manual with it). So i looked that up and found out how to 'sharpen' my tone a bit.