Page 1 of 2
It was around the same time The Who formed. They were amongst the first bands to use it to full effect.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
"According to an article in the Free Lance-Star, the power chord was pioneered by rock and roll guitarist Link Wray. Blues guitarist Elmore James used power chords with distortion in the late 1950s, in the song 'I Need You'."

I found that in about 15 seconds.
Link wray. He named his band something to do with power chords, if i remember correctly.
Quote by yam
Link wray. He named his band something to do with power chords, if i remember correctly.

i heard that too, or read about it somewhere
Quote by yam

God , imagine if someone did that nowadays.

'omg u r noobs u only doo pwrcords'
Quote by im_hungry
God , imagine if someone did that nowadays.

'omg u r noobs u only doo pwrcords'

But back then it was an original thing to do. Besides, I like powerchords. I enjoy their sound... Am I a bad person?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

But back then it was an original thing to do. Besides, I like powerchords. I enjoy their sound... Am I a bad person?

No.
Quote by break-me-in

nope... just remember that a lot of metalheads hate powerchords. However, a lot of metal bands use drop tunings, and bar the frets... they're still essentially playing power chords

I love metal
Nothing wrong with powerchords, it's wrong to use them in every song in an unorginal kind of way though.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
It started in America I believe. It stared life as a harminic interval of a Tonic and Dominant and so the American players changed it.

EDIT: It still is a harminic interval of a Tonic and Dominant!!!
If you hit up wikipedia, Link is credited with early use of the power chord. But good ol pete townshed is credited with introducing its name, however this is unreferenced

However check out
http://www.guitar-4u.com/power-guitar-chords.php

it says link named it, ill continue to look
Last edited by lachlandavis at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by 7daycrisis
Jesus, the year 1BC

So how does that work?
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by 7daycrisis
Jesus, the year 1BC

o_0
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by 7daycrisis
Jesus, the year 1BC

I just had a thought... Wouldn't he be only a year old?
Or possibly even unborn (his exact birth year is refuted by a few years)
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in

So? It's Jesus! The guys ****ing omni-powerful!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Im a christian, and i do beleive if you look close enough you can find
"And on the 8th day God said "Let their be Rock!" and there was Rock, and the lord was pleased with his creation"

After that i think theres some stuff about satan and simple plan,
Quote by break-me-in

1BC means 1 year before christ. He wasnt even a sperm in gods testicles at that point.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Quote by lachlandavis
Im a christian, and i do beleive if you look close enough you can find
"And on the 8th day God said "Let their be Rock!" and there was Rock, and the lord was pleased with his creation"

After that i think theres some stuff about satan and simple plan,

Did you read the Bible whilst smoking pot and listening to AC/DC?

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by tpot06
1BC means 1 year before christ. He wasnt even a sperm in gods scrotum at that point.

I said his birth year is refuted. It's put at 0 BC, but there's about 3 years give or take.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
I said his birth year is refuted. It's put at 0 BC, but there's about 3 years give or take.

0BC isnt a date. Its the year of Jesus Birth. Whether or not it was 2007 years ago is another question but Jesus was still born in 0BC, whenever that was.
come on .. dont start teh "religion war thing" here

it's a thread about powerchords
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
Quote by tpot06
0BC isnt a date. Its the year of Jesus Birth. Whether or not it was 2007 years ago is another question but Jesus was still born in 0BC, whenever that was.

Hm. Yeah you're looking at it from an events point of view rather than the calendar way I was doing it. I guess you're sorta right...

EDIT:
BACK ON TOPIC.
So the Who clearly used it first and foremost.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I dont think Jesus was ever a sperm in Gods scrotum.... as For Jesus birth, i think the point being made, is BC is generaly accepted as "before christ" therefor Jesus would be born after said 1 BC. However, the whole discussion is based on the Hypothetical notion that Jesus invented the Powerchord, when its common knowledge that he played the Bassoon.
Yes i agree, Back on topic, Its Disputed wether the who engineered the powerchord or borrowed it from Link, Pete is often considered a big link fan
Quote by lachlandavis
I dont think Jesus was ever a sperm in Gods scrotum.... as For Jesus birth, i think the point being made, is BC is generaly accepted as "before christ" therefor Jesus would be born after said 1 BC. However, the whole discussion is based on the Hypothetical notion that Jesus invented the Powerchord, when its common knowledge that he played the Bassoon.

It was a lighthearted statement lol. Everyone knows I invented the power chord.
oh i know, Just mucking around , And yes to anyone else reading, i would like to point out that some of the facts in my previous statements.... may have been a lie
I typed 'who invented the power chord?' into google and I got a ton of articles relating to Link Wray, many calling the father of the power chord.
I think the big point in question is that Many articles and blogs on the Internet say that Link is "the father" or the "founder" of the Power Chord. The big thing would be to find a quote from one of the two charachters in question, Pete Townshed and Link Wray, to find out who exactly named the chord.

I actualy find it hard getting a lot of hard evidence from the rock and roll era, people just "remember" stuff and it becomes uncited fact in wikipedia. So basicaly even if theres no primary or secondary evidence, if everyone agrees with what happens then it must be true.
Last edited by lachlandavis at Oct 6, 2007,
And my cat has 11 heads, but seriously folks im off to bed, keep up the search without me
Quote by break-me-in

baby jesus could own vai in the womb
Quote by Deliriumbassist
nope... just remember that a lot of metalheads hate powerchords. However, a lot of metal bands use drop tunings, and bar the frets... they're still essentially playing power chords

I love metal

I've yet to see a metal band that doesn't use power chords. Go listen to a Megadeth or Metallica song and tell me power chords suck .

I find the hatred against them kinda funny, because no one can write good songs using only barre chords on a distorted guitar.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I've yet to see a metal band that doesn't use power chords. Go listen to a Megadeth or Metallica song and tell me power chords suck .

I find the hatred against them kinda funny, because no one can write good songs using only barre chords on a distorted guitar.

I'm not saying they do suck, I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy, lol
Quote by Deliriumbassist
I'm not saying they do suck, I'm just highlighting the hypocrisy, lol

No I wasn't talking to you . I meant that to the guys who say pwoer chords are for noobs.
Dickless.
Page 1 of 2