So I bought an Ibanez RG2EX1 last night, and it has pickups "designed by EMG" obviously, I don't think these are the EMG 81's/85's, but how is their sound in comparison to them, is this a quality pick up?
I would imagine it'd be pretty close, but not as good as the real thing obviously. It depends really you'd have to look into it, are they aimed to sound like 81/85's or something else is what I'd look into then listen to your guitar and compare to a guitar with the real ones in.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.
My guess...
Somthing like the duncan (seymor duncan) designed pickups they put in some of the more expensive squiers.
Basically.
The same thing as the origional but made in like china or korea or somwhere like that, so not to the same quality.
I have duncan designs in my squier jagmaster and they sound great.
so your EMG's should be pretty decent too im guessing?
Duncan Designed and Designed by EMG are budget pickups.

The EMGs are passive and lower in quality than normal passive EMG pickups, in fact, I'd say they're about the same quality as regular Ibanez stock pickups, meaning they're decent but not as great as you might expect them to be because of the EMG brand name.

If you use a good amp the guitar will sound fine, but they're nothing to write home about.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
yea, theyre made in korea, so quality isnt as good. The EMG81/85 is good for high gain, but does have some feedback, so i dont think u should get the designed, which are worse

edit: sry i didnt see that u already have it lol.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by musicfreak003
yea, theyre made in korea, so quality isnt as good. The EMG81/85 is good for high gain, but does have some feedback, so i dont think u should get the designed, which are worse

edit: sry i didnt see that u already have it lol.

I play a lot of high gain, and I love the EMG tone... :P

anyways, my friend has the EMG 81's/85's in his 90's Jackson.

So we compared, and they sound pretty similar, his does have the superior tone, but mine is pretty close, and I payed half of what he did... i'm happy .
Last edited by kaossurge at Oct 6, 2007,
ok as long as it sounds good to u
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Yeah at the end of the day it doesnt matter about the lable if it sounds great
Manchester United