Another band question. I love unusual lineups but the three-guitarist endeavor didn't quite work out. However one of my favorite bands (The Number Twelve Looks Like You) has an unusual 6-piece lineup with two guitars, bass, drums, and two vocalists (both of whom scream and one of whom sings). The current incarnation of my band is me (guitarist/vocalist and fill-in bassist), a vocalist, and a drummer (original drummer and bassist left, 2nd guitarist switched to drums). I can scream and sort of sing and the vocalist screams. We both write lyrics. However since I'm into lead guitar and I can only play chords while singing, I'm pretty limited to screaming for most of the time. We still need a 2nd guitarist and a bassist, but we're looking for a male vocalist who can sing so that the instrumentalists can focus on their instruments (and we don't want just screaming). We're basically mathcore.
Any tips on where to look for a 12/13-year-old male singer, or using compression, etc. or just something else related, would be much appreciated.
Cheers!
12/13 year old to do screams? That's not gonna work, voices will be breaking soon.

And, going off-topic, can you explain what 'mathcore' is exactly? I always though it was an utterly retarded sounding genre.
^isnt mathcore like basically metal core with changing time signatures?
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Umm... our voices have already broken. And mathcore is basically progressive free jazz mixed with technical death metal. The Number Twelve Looks Like You, Fear Before the March of Flames, Norma Jean, and The Dillinger Escape Plan are some examples.
Mathcore is metal/hardcore with odd/obscene time signatures and scales.
But you could go Alexisonfire n people and have a screamer, singer and some guy with a gritty voice.
As soon as i here people stick "core" at the end of something i just know im going to hate it.
Speaking as a singer, I am very concerned about kids your age screaming. You only get one voice. If you **** it up badly enough, it's ****ed up for good. And it doesn't matter if your voices have indeed broken. You're still young enough that there may be major- if not as dramatic- vocal changes. You should be focusing on building a healthy technique, not special effects. Technique is what will carry you through colds, allergies, a bad breakup, a death in the family. Technique first, special effects later.

As to the issue you posted about, I know you said you want to find a singer so the instrumentalists can focus on their instruments, but the more skills you have, the more potential you have. That's why I'm learning guitar. Not to mention it would be good to be prepared in case you can't find a compatible singer. If you do decide to pursue singing, take a look at the singing thread.

Above all, please, please, please take care of your voice. You only get one.
12/13 year old 'progressive free jazz mixed with technical death metal'

loltoast
Quote by aaronsquare
Umm... our voices have already broken.

Well that's a problem, you should try to learn "how to scream" or you'll end fucked up, maybe try "the zen of screaming" - dvd.

Now to topic, yeah why not?

I think, as far as it sounds good there is no problem is the band consists of 20 guys, idk......

Now a 12-13 year old screamer, have you even changed your voice with 13?
Looking for a new sig!
Quote by lachlandavis
As soon as i here people stick "core" at the end of something i just know im going to hate it.

Most intelligent quote of this thread.

Also, just not to make my post pointless, most 12/13 year olds have not developed. And i am not just talking about the physical (voice breaking) sense, i mean most people that young have not yet developed their true personality, they are still too influenced by the rest of the world. This can stop a person from presenting their true personality as a frontman, because they are too "scared" to be out there. That is a large problem i have seen with youn musicians, they do not have the maturity to develop their musical skills to the extent where they will ignore all outside influences.

My advice, get someone who can sing well, and has been doing so for a while, not someone who has just gotten into highschool an still is attached to their umbilical cord.

That is all
- Theodore
As the angel kisses me once again
You scream poison as you glare
Your bow and arrow by your side
As if you cared

It's a mour......astral congregation
Thanks guys, you have some good advice. Just the problem is we have about twenty-odd good, refined songs and some lyrics here and there but no vocalists. I can barely scream, but I'm not an idiot and I know basic technique so I don't destroy my voice. And im_hungry, you have a point. But we listen to real music, not rap and pop and the other crap all of our schoolmates listen to. We're just starting a few years early. I know it's pretty weird that we're all 12/13 but we're not alone in that respect.
I'd just like to say that if you listen to "real music" you wouldn't call rap and pop "crap". If you really are a musician and have developed properly, you would know enough to have respect for forms of music that you don't like. I don't like blues or classic rock, but i know what it has done for history, which is more than enough for me to respect it. I don't like it, nor do I like Rap, Hip Hop, Mathcore, Metalcore, Blues, Country, Pop Punk, Punk, Soft Rock, or Nu Metal... However I'm mature enough to not insult all of them by calling them "crappy".

My suggestion, learn to appreciate all forms of music before you try to make your own.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya
/\ i would really like to add to that.
in my humble opinion music takes time skill and effort to create. these days a lot of the rap and hip hop is simple enough that anyone who walks off the street can start recording in a few hours. to me thats not music, but a grab for money, which is also what music is not (or at least should not be) what music is about.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
regardless of your age or experience, there are no dynamics with three vocalists if they all do the same styles.

Dynamics are basically differences between soft and hard, loud and quiet, fast and slow. Those are dynamics.

If you want to have dynamics, learn to control your voice, and have each of you do different styles, or get singers that can.

And why don't you take some advice and work on songs before worrying about your line-up. Right now I have about 5 songs written for my project, so I know what I need. In my other bands we already have all of the members we need. We figured out what we needed after we wrote.

You don't write for the vocalists you have, you write your songs then find the vocalists you need, and if you need more, find people with different styles that can cover what the other person/people can't.

And now that I consider your ages, your voices haven't fully developed yet. Just because your voice lowered by two steps does not mean it's ready and won't be damaged in a way that will harm further development. If you want to do extreme vocals without your voice being damage, wait at least 3 or 4 more years. I got a singer that tried developing his screams near your age. His speaking voice is very raspy, and so is his clean voice, and he didn't get really good until he was about 17 anyway.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Again, thank you. And about rap and pop being crap, they ARE. They barely qualify as music, but rather entertainment of a very low form. Why do you think rappers usually release an album or two every year? It's so easy to make that kind of crap and it's very hard to take seriously. Real music, that I can take seriously. Jazz, blues, classic rock, metal, hard rock, mathcore, nu metal, funk, etc. is real music. Rap isn't. It's a three- or four-note melody, beats with just snapping fingers, bass drum, snare and sometimes hi-hats, somebody mouthing off stupid rhymes and MAYBE a bassline that matches the melody. It's the simplest **** around. Don't defend it.
Quote by aaronsquare
Again, thank you. And about rap and pop being crap, they ARE. They barely qualify as music, but rather entertainment of a very low form. Why do you think rappers usually release an album or two every year? It's so easy to make that kind of crap and it's very hard to take seriously. Real music, that I can take seriously. Jazz, blues, classic rock, metal, hard rock, mathcore, nu metal, funk, etc. is real music. Rap isn't. It's a three- or four-note melody, beats with just snapping fingers, bass drum, snare and sometimes hi-hats, somebody mouthing off stupid rhymes and MAYBE a bassline that matches the melody. It's the simplest **** around. Don't defend it.

you frigging retard.

You want an honest opinion?
You 'band' is going to go nowhere as long as you stay a close minded, arrogant prick.
Do the world of guitar a favour and just quit, you're an asshole.
Quote by lachlandavis

Not for hardcore...
Thats a true core!!

And some metalcore like Lamb of God and Killswitch Engage are awesome too...

And some mathcore like Meshuggah are absolutely amazing!!

You can't bash a genre like that... Every genre has its good bits. Or elz you'll end up listening to the same music over and over again!!
Quote by aaronsquare

You obiously know nothing about rap, or music for that matter. Music's not only about how fast and how heavy you can play, music is also about the message, which is what most rap focuses on, thats why most of it is simple, if you pulled your head out of your ass and actually listened to real rap before insulting it, you would know this.
Go listen to some immortal technique then tell me "It's so easy to make that kind of crap and it's very hard to take seriously".

Oh and stop trying to act tough insulting other people's musical tastes.
Grow the **** up.
Quote by af_the_fragile

You can't bash a genre like that... Every genre has its good bits. Or elz you'll end up listening to the same music over and over again!!

Every genre has its good bits? What happened to "and about rap and pop being crap, they ARE"? I seriously hope people don't judge 13 year olds by your example, it'd be a shame for other teenagers like me.
Stop being so close-mined =\
F u c k you. I didn't want his to become some frigging genre dispute. I was just asking for some ****ty advice and now everybody's calling me retarded for hating rap. I've heard "real rap (2Pac, Immortal, Nas, Biggie, all the older stuff)" and I'm not very impressed. If you get your jollies bashing 13-year-olds, do it somewhere else. I thought this was a f u c k i n g guitar forum, not a "bitch at the inexperienced teenager" forum. So f u c k off, all of you.
Quote by aaronsquare
F u c k you. I didn't want his to become some frigging genre dispute. I was just asking for some ****ty advice and now everybody's calling me retarded for hating rap. I've heard "real rap (2Pac, Immortal, Nas, Biggie, all the older stuff)" and I'm not very impressed. If you get your jollies bashing 13-year-olds, do it somewhere else. I thought this was a f u c k i n g guitar forum, not a "bitch at the inexperienced teenager" forum. So f u c k off, all of you.

Your question has been answered multiple times in this thread. Also, some extra advice has been given, some of which is the best advice you will ever hear. Be open minded to all kinds of music. I'm no fan of rap, but I love the occasional listen to Tupac. There's something to learn from all genres of music. Once you learn to accept that, you will become a better musician.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
None of us were disputing genre, or bashing you at all. We said screaming is unwise at such a young age, not once did we discriminate you because youre underage. I think most of us could really care less how old you are, we are just concerned for your vocal chords. You don't want a ****ed up voice the rest of your life.

As for you stating that rap can't be respected, I don't like rap either, but I respect it, and I'm never going to respect someone who insults a form of music just because they don't like it. I'm not telling you to like it, I'm not saying it's the best form of music out there, but just remember what one person thinks is real music, someone else might not think it's music.

To be completely honest, I don't find mathcore (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Architect, Between the Buried and Me, etc etc) much of music. Seriously, TDEP used to roll 20 sided die to randomly generate time signatures for their songs, just to be totally random with it, and unexpected. While creative, and I probably wouldn't have thought to do that, I don't enjoy the way it sounds.

See how I didn't insult what I didn't like?

My advice, learn to stop insulting other forms of music, and learn to tell the difference between someone insulting you, and trying to protect your voice. I'm not telling you to fall in love with Rap, Country, and anything else you might not like, I'm just saying to stop insulting it, because it's a real big turn off to alot of people if you're trying to get into a band, and start insulting some form of music. It's disrespectful and annoying.

Anyway, Hope I've helped.
~~You are nothing. I am a God among men, creating the Universe before leaving you blinded and wandering.~~
Letters to Zaya