Long story short, Ive always wanted to learn to play the guitar, at least intermediately.
I have a nice fender acoustic i play whenever i have time, home from school, off from work.

Unfortuantely the only way i know how to play some songs is because ive memorized where to put my fingers from tabs.

I have no knowledge of chord names, barre chords, scales. etc. All i know are the names of the strings.

I really want to learn everything i can. Hows the best way to start?
read a book on music theory and learn to read notes
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
getting a tutor is best but if you want a more cheaper method, reading books and watching vids about playing works. there are some videos here in uG and a lot of free lessons in the "lessons" column
Start by learning the minor and major pentatonic scales, and then open chords [A,C,D,E] in major and minor

There's plenty of resources about it on the net, and i think quite alot on here, i saw one on the bottom left section of the front page about taking it up only a few days ago
Quote by philipisabeast
Start by learning the minor and major pentatonic scales, and then open chords [A,C,D,E] in major and minor

There's plenty of resources about it on the net, and i think quite alot on here, i saw one on the bottom left section of the front page about taking it up only a few days ago

Um, not really...pentatonics are a way off.

TS, all you need to do is get a book on chords or look for some of the basic lessons her on UG. At the same time start tring to learn the notes on the guitar..it's pretty easy as it's the same 7 note pattern that keeps repeating on each string. Also read a little bit on the major scale and chord formation as it'll teach you how to form chords so you're not having to memorize finger patterns for every single chord you want to play.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
look for people that you know that play guitar, they'll be able to teach you stuff and will probably have the patience to help you succeed
Im a cheapo , if you've been content with learning by yourself do like me and learn by yourself for now.If you hit a rock then a teacher/friends helping would be good.

Theres actually info on the web for theory, alot of it. And then you can ask on here... the hardest part i think of learning yourself is figuring out what order to learn things. Once you know what you have to google or ask on the forums, understanding it is quite fun and easy i reckon.

I just bought: "THe complete idiots guide to music theory", part of the complete idiots series obviously. THeres the "for dummies" series for music theory, both look complex, but somehow the complete idiots guide looked more interesting/less boring. I havent started on the book but flicking through it it seems REALLY info packed.. chords, progressions, scales, its all there. I was lucky to get some good teaching on the forums here for a basic intro to chords and scales, and from what i can see the book has all of that plus more. Check it out!

Hmm i have heard the "guitar for dummies" is good, can anyone confirm? pretty sure i've read it on these forums before(pplz suggestings), i flicked through it at bookstore but i didnt buy it since i have a few books that cover parts within the book(and i was too cheap to buy it just for the info that i dont have already in my other books :S)..

"Play guitar" - by De Agostini, im borrowing it form my local library. I cant find a single place that sells it(borders and dymocks have it on their system but not in stock.. and so far no luck on them ordering it in). Its REALLY a big ass hard cover book, its stock full of info. the thing gets striaght to the point, i swear it teaches the minor chords in a few pages , but its jam packed with pictures, diagrams etc. VERY info packed. ISBN: 1-85605-599-x hopefully you can find a copy since i cant

do like me, head to the biggest/most comprehensive bookstore and pick out some good looking books. try to grab ones that are comprehensive, but dont look like they're dead boring eg: illustrations,pictures, they all do help. I never buy the books which are all text based... i doubt i'd ever get through it.
I also have one of the "guitar method" series books (first/most basic intro one) by gary tuner and brenton white. it covers all 6 strings in one book, and learning the corresponding frets on those 6 strings and where they are represented on the music staff. UInlike the other books i just bought, its abit more slow paced. Eg: one-three pages for one string, maybe because it has example songs. If you like going slow and getting it right then yeah thats the one.. but ive started switching to more faster teaching paced, but yet informative books.. i think i lost interest playing like 3-4 songs using the new string i learnt from that book -_-" although i must say it was good practice for feeling ur way around the first 3 frets on all 6 strings..