Not sure if this should be in advanced techniques, but it's not an advanced technique so i'll pop it in here

Basically, i was wondering, whether or not the position of your thumb on the neck affects playing

Like the majority of people will have their thumb vertically up either on the back of the neck or curled over, but what about having your thumb pointing towards the headstock and out to the side - so a sort of loose looking thumbs up sign

Would this bring any benefeits etc?
Quote by stephen_rettie
uhm, what? play for comfort, my thumb moves depending on where im playing.

+1
People have different hands and guitars have different necks
^ pretty much, really there are only a couple of thumb "positions" the more your fingers stretch in different difrections will induce different thumb positions. i know the wider i stretch out the more my thumb points towards the head stock and the closer together the more vertical it becomes. i think really the only 2 drastic position changes ive seen and known are the classical style position and hendrix style position. other than that there are about a thousand variation of and between those two.
Quote by kyrreca
+1
People have different hands and guitars have different necks

Our hands aren't that different, and most guitar necks look pretty much the same to me. You can't just play any old thing and think it's not going to make a difference.

Having your thumb point straight up the neck will open up the inside of your wrist, stretching the tendons of the thumb and giving them significantly less power to keep the neck stabilised and give your fingers something to push into. This will make them work way too hard, combined with the tension from being stretched out like this you're asking for an injury. A condition called De Quervain's tenosynovitis is relatively common with guitar players and this is precisely the sort of thing that will bring it on.

And, apart from laziness, why would you do it anyway?
I'm not saying it doesn't matter what you do with the thumb when you're playing. I agreed with the fact that there's no rule of thumb (omg lol) for how to position it at all times. When I play, I change my thumb position depending on what I play, trying to combine ease of playing with comfort.

What I meant about hands and guitar necks was that there is a difference between small vs large hands, and thick baseball bat-necks vs paper thin Ibanez necks.
Most beginners will wrap their thumb around the neck like they are gripping a baseball bat, and this position has its uses,but I would suggest you master playing with your thumb behind the neck first. This position allows your fingers to strech out much further than if you had your thumb over the neck and spaces your fingers more evenly over the frets in my opinion. Look at how great the technique of classical guitar players is and look at where there thumb is.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.
I don't worry about this too much, my hand is alays shifting around on the neck, so I just end up using what ever feels the most comfortable. Look at Hendrix, or Malmsteen. Any classical player would look at their hands and vomit because of their technique. But both of them own ther strats.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
I'm really uncomfortable with my thumb in the middle of the neck. I only put it there when playing big stretches or when playing low on the neck or on the thickest strings. On the high strings, I feel like I don't have a good grip on the neck, and my fingers have to be tensed way up to be able to fret the strings. Damned giant hands :rawrsmiley:
well I did explain the reason for having the thumb behind the neck and I mentioned classical guitar players because they are known for having great technique. I believe I also did say that having the thumb over the neck has its uses.
radiantmoon is the toughest person I know. He inflects a sense of impending doom upon any who look upon his stone-chiseled face. The children run out of fear, while the men run for they know that the stories are true.