So the other day I decided I was going to make a band arrangement for Layla because it is an awesome song. I figured out how to transpose from the key of C to Bb. I just want my school band to play this song, and the cool factor increases if I do it myself. This is what I have so far for the instrumentation:

Trumpets- Lead guitar/vocals (switches with woodwinds at some point)
Alto Sax- Vocals/lead guitar (switches with trumpet, and plays with clarinets)
Clarinets- see: A. sax
T. Sax- rythm guitar
B. Sax- Bass
Tuba- Bass
Baritone- rythm guitar
Trombone- rythm guitar/bass
French Horn- rythm guitar

I was thinking woodwinds would play the low part of the intro, and when it got to the high part with the bends the trumpets would take over, and I'll have multiple parts for the instruments. I might harmonize the lead guitar so I could have several trumpet parts, and the vocals because it's boring to have just one lead. I haven't quite started actually transposing because I need to figure this stuff out first.

Do you think I might be planning too much rhythm? Or might it balance out because it's chords, so the notes are spread out? I know I'll simplify things (you can bend the pitch on a trumpet I know, but it is way harder than a guitar!) but what would you think if you were at a highschool football/basketball game and they started playing this?

EDIT: I still have yet to figure out how to go from C to Eb so if somebody here plays Sax or knows more theory than I do, help is appreciated.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
The problem with arranging rhythm guitar onto monophonic instruments is that it just isn't the same. It can sometimes come away sounding awkward. Look at other peoples arrangements of songs for brass band/jazz band, etc, and see what they've done. I dunno how else to help you. I arranged the Knight Rider theme tune for string quartet last year for my degree and it was hard work, and didn't sound that great anyway. The only proper answer is to give it a try, even if you fail you'll learn something.
hmmm maybe some flute for the ending part where the piano is? i'd suggest you ignore the slide guitar solo, i can't think of a band instrument that could imitate it.
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
The problem with arranging rhythm guitar onto monophonic instruments is that it just isn't the same. It can sometimes come away sounding awkward. Look at other peoples arrangements of songs for brass band/jazz band, etc, and see what they've done. I dunno how else to help you. I arranged the Knight Rider theme tune for string quartet last year for my degree and it was hard work, and didn't sound that great anyway. The only proper answer is to give it a try, even if you fail you'll learn something.

Yeah, I understand what you mean... we're playing an arrangement of "You Really Got Me" by the Kinks, and it sounds kind of awkward hearing a bunch of trombones playing powerchords...
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90