K, so the amp I have now rocks, it's just not loud enough. I pretty much have my heart set on getting a Crate Palomino; feel free to convince me otherwise, but I've played some and loved them.

Now, my question is this: Will the 15w version be loud enough to be heard over a drummer, or should I go with the 30w? There's a fairly large difference in price, and I don't want to get the 30w when the 15w would be fine. Similarly, I don't want to get the 15w if it won't be audible over nearly any drummer. The 30w is in my budget, but I'd obviously rather save some money if possible. So which should I go for?

Also, I'm hesitant about getting one from eBay and other such places, as I've heard that the Palomino's quality control is a bit iffy.

Thanks for any help.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

15w tube doesn't sound like a lot, but it is pretty loud. IMO the only significant difference (other than the volume...) between the 15w and 30w would be the headroom; the 15w would obviously distort a lot easier. So if you play mostly clean stuff, that's something to consider.
It will easily get over a drummer while overdriven. I can't really tell you if it could stay clean and get over the drummer.
And as long as you can verify if the amp you buy on ebay or somewhere else is made in the US and not in Vietnam before you buy. If it's made in Vietnam, don't get it because those are the ones with quality issues.
yeah it should, and you'll get to crank it, so have fun.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Depends on how hard your drummer plays. I once had a total nutcase who kicked the crap out of his drums and my 20 watt marshall tube amp could not at all be heard. But normally 15 watt can be heard over drums. If not, tell your drummer to play with brushes.
I can hear my 5w over drums pretty easy.

15w will do it handsomely. Just don't expect any cleans, you may get some semi-clean breakup tones though.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Cheesus Crust
15w tube doesn't sound like a lot, but it is pretty loud. IMO the only significant difference (other than the volume...) between the 15w and 30w would be the headroom; the 15w would obviously distort a lot easier. So if you play mostly clean stuff, that's something to consider.

I agree. Also, it's one thing to get over the drummer, and quite another cutting thru with a whole band (maybe another guitar and/or keyboard). I prefer to have 30W at my disposal. Even if I don't crank the amp beyond the halfway mark, I like it for piece of mind.

That said, my son has a Palomino V16, and the amp has no problem in the school auditorium with a band. So it's you're call.

You also might be better off getting one on eBay, especially if you can get one that was made in the USA. That's what we have, and it's had no quality issues at all. I'm hearing some questionable things about the Vietnam ones, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ya know i have also tried some 30 watt amps, and they just aren't really louder than the 15's, now my 150 watt is noticeably louder...

i don't have any issue keeping up with my band, TT is set to 5 or 6, 7 or 8 tone, and 6 or 7 gain. I had some issues at first cuz it was just a 2x12 on the ground, i put the 2x12 on top my 4x12 and it was all the difference in the world, went from being "i wouldn't mind a little louder" to "at'll do just fine with the volume around 5". that being said, i do notice the breakup thing, it is damn near impossible to get a pristine clean tone on these amps. they just don't do 'em, especially at loud volumes. fortunately this is one of the reasons i got the, pristine clean tones are dry and boring. give me my overly colored, class A tone goddess any day

so just raise that amp or get an amp stand for better projection
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by gumbilicious
ya know i have also tried some 30 watt amps, and they just aren't really louder than the 15's, now my 165 watt is noticeably louder...

The Tiny Terror is a loud 15W amp. I have the AC30, another notoriously loud amp, and I know for certain that my 1x12 model is louder than many amps rated at 40-50W. I'm not surprised that the TT -rated the "British" way- gets louder than 30W combos, especially thru a 2x12.

But that's not an apples to apples debate like comparing a V16 to a V32, where the V32 will have a noticable amount of added headroom and more available total volume as well.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I can get a 10 watt solid state tiny little amp over a drummer with the volume on only about 5. Prolly not the best for gigging situation but it works fine in practice.
You should be fine, maybe a bit of amp break up, but nothing to complain about.
it's pretty simple: if you need cleans with a drummer, get the v32.
if you only need overdriven tones, or your cleans can have a fair bit of breakup, then get the v16.

15 watts is probably loud enough to be heard over most drummers, but it will be too quiet in a full band.
25W ad up will get you loud enough while still having some headroom for cleaner tones. As previously stated 15-20 works but not much cleans. I'd say go for the V32 and have the additional headroom on tap.
cleans may be a problem but otherwise yes, dialling own the volume on your guitar might help a lot, i've never tried the palomino but a lot of the small tube amps are allegedly very sensitive to the guitars controls.

you'll definitely be heard when cranked
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Really and truly, it all depends on your drummer. I've played with some that a Gibson GA-5 would drown out, and others that would drown the DSL401 I was using.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Ok, thanks.

And a Palomino is made in the USA if it says 'Designed and Manufactured in the USA', correct? I know it seems obvious, but I just want to make sure that it's not like crafted somewhere else or something.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Quote by slatsmania
The Tiny Terror is a loud 15W amp. I have the AC30, another notoriously loud amp, and I know for certain that my 1x12 model is louder than many amps rated at 40-50W. I'm not surprised that the TT -rated the "British" way- gets louder than 30W combos, especially thru a 2x12.

But that's not an apples to apples debate like comparing a V16 to a V32, where the V32 will have a noticable amount of added headroom and more available total volume as well.

+1

I use my R30, with volume on 5 and the Weber attenuator volume on 2-3!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
My 15w Blues Junior is easily loud enough for a full band. I just prop it up on something because the other guitarist uses a 100w halfstack. When you prop up the amp on like a chair or something, it will make a world of difference. I only half to turn it up about a little over halfway to be heard well.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
i use my Crate v18 in church, and though its 18 watts, it doesnt have that much of a difference volume-wise to a 15-watter.

its a full band with keyboards and acoustic, and i set mine on level at 5-6 and gain at around 2-3, sometimes 4. granted that my cleans are very slightly overdriven sometimes, and that our church is like the size of about 2 coffee shops.

also, my amp is the newer Crate tube (the ones made in China) but so far there arent any problems, except that they are a bit muddier and a bit harsher than the US-made Palomino's. im hoping that a tube change would remedy that.

and for the price i paid for it ($100 less than MF's selling price), i cant really complain.
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
Last edited by glaz31 at Oct 9, 2007,