Poll: Do bands have to play solos
Poll Options
View poll results: Do bands have to play solos
Solos are not important
164 55%
no solos?..you shouldnt be allowed to be called a band
85 29%
ALL F*CKIN POWERCHORDZ?!!..I want my money back!!!
47 16%
Voters: 297.
Page 1 of 4
Do you think that bands should play solo's? Some of the
greatest rock, metal and blues songs are known for solo's
that broke the mold. Is playing solos a necessity for being
a band?
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Solos can ruin songs. They can also make them better, depends on the song, and the solo you intend to do.
not a necessity but i certainly enjoy a nice solo
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
no.. infact im pretty sure punk was against long solos.

at least original punk was.

you think about bands like greatful dead and such even they have songs where theres no solo
Not every song needs a solo, but IMO bands generally should have notable solos for each member.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
only when it feels right i think...

whenever you have doubts, look back to St. Anger..
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
^ i agree with schneiderman

in a good band.. all members need to be able to throw down equally.. and do so when the time is right
Depends on how good the solo is. A solo can make or break a song in my opinion. A good solo can make a mediocre song average whereas a bad solo can ruin an otherwise great song. I'm more of a riff man myself but I always write solos for songs out of habit.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Quote by Schneiderman
Not every song needs a solo, but IMO bands generally should have notable solos for each member.

Drums aren't supposed to have a solo because drums provide the tempo for the guitarist and singer which is essentially "the music." Singers shouldn't have soloes because that would be kinda odd, and bass shouldn't have soloes because it is there to provide backing for the rhythms. So yea, the only instrument where a solo is reasonable is guitar.
I think it comes down to if you are good enough to play a decent solo and know how to integrate it into the song. It's better to not have a solo than have a crappy one that doesn't work well with the rest of the song.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Who are the stupid idiots that voted for 2 and 3? Please step forward and receive my laugh...
Quote by rasuya46
A song with no solo sucks dick 99% of the time unless it is death or black metal.

You are a smart cookie

Solos are not that necessary. But osmetimes they can make the song way better.
No, just listen to CKY IDR (Infiltrate Destroy Rebuild) and CKY vol 2.
They haven't got solos in, just great riffs.
Quote by rasuya46
A song with no solo sucks dick 99% of the time unless it is death or black metal.

You don't like Bob Dylan or anything along those lines then?

Your comment is just stupid.
Quote by rasuya46
Drums aren't supposed to have a solo because drums provide the tempo for the guitarist and singer which is essentially "the music." Singers shouldn't have soloes because that would be kinda odd, and bass shouldn't have soloes because it is there to provide backing for the rhythms. So yea, the only instrument where a solo is reasonable is guitar.

No part of an ensemble is supposed to do anything, those are just the roles popularly assigned to them. In jazz, anyone and anything can solo, including a vocalist. Look at Louis Armstrong, he pioneered "scat singing".

Bass solos can be just as badass as guitar solos, and if you don't think a drummer can solo, look at Mitch Mitchel or John Bonham.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by Izz
You don't like Bob Dylan or anything along those lines then?

Your comment is just stupid.

Yes, Bob Dylan is sh*t. I like many other artists from his era because they had soloes. No soloes=no creativity and boring as hell.
Quote by rasuya46

And then it sucks dick 100%....right?

I don't find it a necessity. A lot of great songs have them, most without are good as well. Sometimes, you can just feel a solo coming on, and then BAM!, no solo...

EDIT: Woq, the guy above me is an ass.

Just because a song doesn't have a solo, they lack creativity? That's just ignorant.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by Schneiderman
No part of an ensemble is supposed to do anything, those are just the roles popularly assigned to them. In jazz, anyone and anything can solo, including a vocalist. Look at Louis Armstrong, he pioneered "scat singing".

Bass solos can be just as badass as guitar solos, and if you don't think a drummer can solo, look at Mitch Mitchel or John Bonham.

I know I'm not saying drummers, vocalists, and bassists CANT solo I'm just saying their instruments aren't meant to solo like a guitar is.
I think if you're a classic band from 20+ years ago, yes solos should be included. Unless you want to create another St. Anger.

Alot of bands make no solos work today because it's the new thing. They try to show that you don't need guitar solos to be good. Some make it work, some fail miserably.
Quote by rasuya46
Yes, Bob Dylan is sh*t. I like many other artists from his era because they had soloes. No soloes=no creativity and boring as hell.

Are you aware that Bob Dylan was a hugely influential musician? Jimi Hendrix loved him, and he's one of the most legendary soloists in history. He even did covers of Like a Rolling Stone, and did them without solos.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

I think theyre important, and that all bands should have them
I dont think they should be in EVERY song, cos then some value to them is lost
And bass solos arent as common as they should be
Quote by rasuya46

Please for the love of God learn to spell solos.
When life gives you lemons just say fuck the lemons and bail

Quote by Duffman123
The first time I saw his name I thought it said cunt Seanula >_>

True story.
Quote by rasuya46

Are you being serious or are you this stupid as normal?...

I'm speechless though. If you got that opinion, your loss...
Quote by that_1_dude24
No, and neither is that apostrophe.

Thanx alot man...What would we ever do without the MLA Mercenaries?
Without you i would have been surely hit by that Sniper's asterisk. *
It was heading straight for my heart. Good thing i have on my bulletproof
font. You spend all your time messing with people on the net...

So thats where you are when the president needs you.....
Quote by Izz
Who are the stupid idiots that voted for 2 and 3? Please step forward and receive my laugh...

I voted for number two, but I'm not that extreme. I just don't usually like songs without a solo, just because I'm a solo loving kind of guy. I do listen to tons of songs without them that are all perfectly fine though.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by Firenze

I voted for number two, but I'm not that extreme. I just don't usually like songs without a solo, just because I'm a solo loving kind of guy. I do listen to tons of songs without them that are all perfectly fine though.

Okay, well if those who voted 2 and 3 have the same view as the texts at those voting options they are seriously a little weird...
I don't think that solos have to be in every song.
They don't always fit. But I think they should at
least have one or two.
I can't really believe how someone can say they should be in every song?

What should be in every song is up to the artist, like it or not.
Bass solos > Guitar solos

More unique. This is coming from a guitarist too, but I also think that solos really also depend on the style of music. They're almost required for Electric Blues, but not as much for Pop Punk.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Schneiderman
Are you aware that Bob Dylan was a hugely influential musician? Jimi Hendrix loved him, and he's one of the most legendary soloists in history. He even did covers of Like a Rolling Stone, and did them without solos.

He wrote Like a Rolling Stone.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by rasuya46

That's why you will always be unsuccesful.
Not important but it can make a song a hell of a lot better if its done right otherwise just leave it out.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
He wrote Like a Rolling Stone.

I was referring to Hendrix, read more carefully...
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

I agree it can make a good song very good. Such as Sweet Child O' Mine. IMO that song would be decent without the 4 solos it actually got. With them it's a kickass song.
I guess some songs without solos are ok because I have some on my Ipod but if you don't have a solo everything else must be extremely good. I hate modern bands like Dance Gavin Dance and Boys Like Girls though that don't have riffs or soloes, they just have guitar rhythms and a simple drum beat and the song is like 3:00 long including the "OMG orgasmic BREAKDOWN." But bands like Linkin Park, I can live with them not having a solo because they are still really good.
Page 1 of 4