Page 1 of 3
And it was absolute garbage.

I went in with an open mind! I swear! ive never even tried a normal spider so didnt have any resentful bias, went down to sound control in manchester, got chatting to one of the shop guys and he asked if I wanted to give it a go as they were just newly in, I had to give it a spin! I mean it sounds awesome on paper, full tube pre-amp and power amp and with all the digital presets and effects in the preamp, what could go wrong?

The one I tried was 40w, 2x12 version, 2 celestion vintage 30s, 6L6 tubes blah blah blah, me and my mates were trying it with a fairly standard jackson, mostly metal but some lower gain and clean stuff too, it just sounded digital. I cant really elaborate much, I can say that it didnt sound 100% digital like some lower end amps do, I was just expecting real tube tone, I was stunned by how bad the sound came across. We obviously messed with all the patches, some of the eefects and all the rest of it, I honestly didnt find a tone I would like to use live or at all really, the meshuggah preset was actually alright but they still ramped up the gain so much that the notes just muddied into each other, nothing like the precise sound of meshuggah. All in all it was total gash, doesnt bother me really as im just not going to buy it, I had fairly high expectations but instead of taking the best parts of tube and digital they seem to have taken the worst. Theres wasnt a price on it in the shop but I just checked, and £680 list price? Stick it up your arse line 6. Thats all I have to say about that.
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
What I expected...I have yet to hear anything Line 6 with a good tone. They have cool ideas, but digital just doesn't do it for a true guitar tone IMO.

The Vetta's have good tone for lower to mid gain.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Aw no wai!!!
Just when we had our hopes up.

I'm hoping to try one myself soon. I tried many amps today when I went to my localish guitar shop to get my les paul checked out =] didn't have the L6/Bogner Spider yet though.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
What I expected...I have yet to hear anything Line 6 with a good tone. They have cool ideas, but digital just doesn't do it for a true guitar tone IMO.

have you ever ran a pod pro through a nice amp?
Aren't they basically Spiders with a valve power and preamp section after the digital-ness?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Aren't they basically Spiders with a valve power and preamp section after the digital-ness?

Yup. So they sound ****.

Try a real Bogner. Best amps in the world, not cheap, but the best.
knew they would suck...digital + valves = nothing good
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Bah I knew theyd **** this one up, they couldve had something great. But no.
Ill have to try it out for myself. Who puts digital effects and modellers into a valve amp? Basically like pissing over an AC30.
Damn!

I had my hopes up too...

Eh, i guess the whole "Spider" name on it should have been a sign??

//sigh
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Quote by Ferrarone
knew they would suck...digital + valves = nothing good

The Hughes & Kettner Switchblade is pretty decent...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
aww... i had high hopes about it too. maybe thats why line 6 haven't put sound clips up yet but they've put pod X3 sound clips up which was released a few weeks later.

I still have to witness this myself... did you get to crank it btw? maybe it sounds decent cranked..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
Does that mean at high volumes the solid state digital part starts to clip but the tubes overdrive? It's seems like a good idea but that's all it should be I think.

The tubes clip too...
Quote by mh400nt
And it was absolute garbage.

I went in with an open mind! I swear! ive never even tried a normal spider so didnt have any resentful bias, went down to sound control in manchester, got chatting to one of the shop guys and he asked if I wanted to give it a go as they were just newly in, I had to give it a spin! I mean it sounds awesome on paper, full tube pre-amp and power amp and with all the digital presets and effects in the preamp, what could go wrong?

The one I tried was 40w, 2x12 version, 2 celestion vintage 30s, 6L6 tubes blah blah blah, me and my mates were trying it with a fairly standard jackson, mostly metal but some lower gain and clean stuff too, it just sounded digital. I cant really elaborate much, I can say that it didnt sound 100% digital like some lower end amps do, I was just expecting real tube tone, I was stunned by how bad the sound came across. We obviously messed with all the patches, some of the eefects and all the rest of it, I honestly didnt find a tone I would like to use live or at all really, the meshuggah preset was actually alright but they still ramped up the gain so much that the notes just muddied into each other, nothing like the precise sound of meshuggah. All in all it was total gash, doesnt bother me really as im just not going to buy it, I had fairly high expectations but instead of taking the best parts of tube and digital they seem to have taken the worst. Theres wasnt a price on it in the shop but I just checked, and £680 list price? Stick it up your arse line 6. Thats all I have to say about that.

You know whats funny? They aren't in stores yet. And I've heard to credible reviews that say quite the opposite from store owners who got them in
Quote by Blompcube
aww... i had high hopes about it too. maybe thats why line 6 haven't put sound clips up yet but they've put pod X3 sound clips up which was released a few weeks later.

I still have to witness this myself... did you get to crank it btw? maybe it sounds decent cranked..

Haha I noticed that, on all the videos and stuff its just some random dude sitting there turning all the knobs on the front from 0 to 10 then back to 0 and saying how good its going to sound, literally NO actual soundclips on any of them

Honestly man, we had a sound room, it got cranked to ear splitting levels, it never got more than decent in my opinion, I might have been a bit unfair saying it was TOTAL gash, im sure there are some who would love it(some people love normal spiders), I personally just hated the sound, I thought it might have some potential but I was disappointed with its performance. I would just never pay that kind of price too, one hundred times out of a hundred I would get a solid tube amp with a great tone to start and then add any other processing later, od and effects pedals and that
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by CJRocker
You know whats funny? They aren't in stores yet. And I've heard to credible reviews that say quite the opposite from store owners who got them in

Fine then dickhead, go to sound control on oxford road on manchester, its round the back of the station on new wakefield street just down from font bar, ask any of the assistants to help you out, the amp is in the first sound room you come to, next to the big orange amps and a couple of mesa heads, walk in there, look down at the spider-valve amp and then never question me again. noob.
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
Haha I noticed that, on all the videos and stuff its just some random dude sitting there turning all the knobs on the front from 0 to 10 then back to 0 and saying how good its going to sound, literally NO actual soundclips on any of them

Honestly man, we had a sound room, it got cranked to ear splitting levels, it never got more than decent in my opinion, I might have been a bit unfair saying it was TOTAL gash, im sure there are some who would love it(some people love normal spiders), I personally just hated the sound, I thought it might have some potential but I was disappointed with its performance. I would just never pay that kind of price too, one hundred times out of a hundred I would get a solid tube amp with a great tone to start and then add any other processing later, od and effects pedals and that

No offense, but that could be the issue... Solid States sound like ass when cranked, and even though this has a tube power section, I'm sure its no exception. Again, not kissing up to line 6 (I had a Spider II and hated it, but it was a cheapy). Personally, I'll give these a 50/50 shot. I think it would of been better to probably pair it with a Flextone III or Vetta II processor instead of the Spider, but I can't give an honest comment until I plug it in.

Fine then dickhead, go to sound control on oxford road on manchester, its round the back of the station on new wakefield street just down from font bar, ask any of the assistants to help you out, the amp is in the first sound room you come to, next to the big orange amps and a couple of mesa heads, walk in there, look down at the spider-valve amp and then never question me again. noob.

Good for you, I live in the US dickhead.
I'm kind of skeptical of this whole thread--I'm not accusing you of lying, I just don't know why a store in england would have amps from an American company already when Guitar Center isn't even supposed to have them until the 28th of November, and at least about a quarter of the amps in most guitarcenters seem to be line 6's. Obviously being in the US I can't know, but it just seems odd.
Quote by CJRocker

you contradict yourself... they aren't in stores yet, but store owners have had them long enough to make a credible reviews? wtf?

also manchester is one of the places that gets everything first in the UK.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

What would be my motive for saying I didnt like an amp I have never played? Think about it, whats the actual point? Its a waste of everyones time. I just posted a link for the store where I played it which shows they are already selling them, they are sold out in the webstore but thats most likely because a lot of people had them on back order, they were selling them in the shop, I was just putting a review of an amp that a lot of people were interested in
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by Blompcube
you contradict yourself... they aren't in stores yet, but store owners have had them long enough to make a credible reviews? wtf?

also manchester is one of the places that gets everything first in the UK.

I should of been more clear. One store here has them, but aren't allowed to put them out. Another is from someone else I know who said the same thing.
Quote by CJRocker

That's funny..

Wouldn't you think store owners would say anything to get people to buy them??
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by Doodleface
The Vetta's have good tone for lower to mid gain.

for the same price as a 30W Tube combo which is amazing for low to mid gain stuff.
Quote by SchecterGates
That's funny..

Wouldn't you think store owners would say anything to get people to buy them??

Valid point tbh. I'm not 100% on the one, but the first I know the guy, and he's honest with me, and I think he knows his stuff. and don't think I have anything to gain by saying Line 6 is good either, as they aren't paying me to
Quote by TheShred201
I'm kind of skeptical of this whole thread--I'm not accusing you of lying, I just don't know why a store in england would have amps from an American company already when Guitar Center isn't even supposed to have them until the 28th of November, and at least about a quarter of the amps in most guitarcenters seem to be line 6's. Obviously being in the US I can't know, but it just seems odd.

could be because of popularity over here, and the fact they can get away with charging double. although in a logical sense it's just plain wierd. i suppose its like the US prices for marshall and vox amps being lower...

Quote by CJRocker
Valid point tbh. I'm not 100% on the one, but the first I know the guy, and he's honest with me, and I think he knows his stuff. and don't think I have anything to gain by saying Line 6 is good either, as they aren't paying me to

That is why i'm hoping to try one out, so i can know for myself!

(And of course let UG know my opinion.:p
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by which ones pink
^That's a Pit rule......

Indeed it is.

Unless it's of t3h b00biez.

t3h b00biez pics r accepted anywherez.

My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail

Quote by MrCarrot

No, they have a completely different preamp and have valves.

The only thing they share with the spiders is the front cover (how everything is laid out) and the Line 6 company badge.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by CJRocker
And I've heard to credible reviews that say quite the opposite from store owners who got them in

Since all store owners are honest about all their products, and have no motivation to sell you something poor to earn a quick buck.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Since all store owners are honest about all their products, and have no motivation to sell you something poor to earn a quick buck.

Read a few posts up
dude's full of ****. line 6 held the release back until november and NO stores have them in yet. get a life, and more importantly get laid.
i think all of the naysayers in this thread(TS included) are just afraid of this device. just like the west and eastern thought, they cant handle such a thing that might replace their blessed "all valve" amps.

i urge you all to play a pod through a VHT poweramp. theyre just packaging what was here all along.
They quite blatantly are out because the Sound Control in Stockton near where I live had them in today and they NEVER have anything new in.
they are definitely in some stores, I've seen a couple reviews from people that tried them on different forums. They weren't advertised at the store though, so maybe they can't start selling them yet or something. The general consensus is about the same though, they sound like a pod thru a tube poweramp, which is essentially what they are. Depends if you like that sound or not. Personally, I've heard some great sounds out of a setup like that, so I imagine it's the same thing, where you have to spend some time tweaking the presets and patches to bring it to life.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Page 1 of 3