Yes, I am probably boring you guys with another Epiphone Les Paul question but I am struggling to understand the differences, or "the point" if you like, in having the LP Standard and the LP Custom.

Now I'm likely to be purchasing a LP Standard in the coming week but would I really be missing out on anything but not paying the extra for the LP Custom? Is the extra money justifiable?

If it's of any relevance I mostly play Metal/Hard Rock; Maiden, Sabbath, GnR, Thin Lizzy etc.

Thanks in advance.
To be honest the customs look justifiably better,They get your band noticed too.
Epi Lp Custom-->Ernie Ball VPJR-->Visual Sound Jekyll And Hyde-->Boss TU-2-->Boss Tr-2-->ISP Decimator-->Dan-Electro Reel Echo-->MXR Micro Amp-->Laney VC-30 2x10

The Cubists
i dont know if the difference is worth the pay... bbut a epi woulnd be my first choice to play metal....
The Custom is a prettier version of the Standard; that's all.

What country are you from? There are better guitars in the price range. Epiphones are kind of the "guitar-that-you-buy-because-you-don't-know-enough-about-guitars-to-buy-something-better"
...or GTYBBYDKEAGTBSB for short.

(I know from experience ).

Quote by CommanderCool6
To be honest the customs look justifiably better,They get your band noticed too.

That's hilarious.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll

What country are you from? There are better guitars in the price range. Epiphones are kind of the "guitar-that-you-buy-because-you-don't-know-enough-about-guitars-to-buy-something-better"

I live in the UK.

Well I've played a number of Epi Les Pauls and they tick all the right boxes for me.
I'm open to other suggestions though, as long as they're within the £300-£400 price range. Preferably something with humbuckers.
Give a Jackson DK2T a shot. The Epiphone LP Customs are nice guitars though.
What's your price range?

For right around the same price as the LP Custom, you could get a Parker PM20 which is probably better than the LP Custom in every aspect .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
Epiphones are kind of the "guitar-that-you-buy-because-you-don't-know-enough-about-guitars-to-buy-something-better"

its funny cus its true. actually not quite, i have 2 epis, the better one is the one that i bought because i didn't know much about guitars (G-400). the other is the LP junior... well, i had enough money to throw away on something like that but not enough to buy something worthwhile
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
When my friend told me how much his LP Custom was, I laughed.

they're like 75% more money, for just a few aethetical differences
Quote by FacingUsAll

Lol nice acronym. But i kno a good bit about guitars and got an my epi for 250 which imo was definitely money well spent.
Quote by FRDesign
that is the ugliest thing ever!

It comes in flame maple, also, if you don't like the look of bubinga ( which I think looks ****ing spectacular ). If you don't like the headstock... well... get over it

Parker makes some great guitars. They are practically alive; they have so much resonance .
Quote by utsapp89
I love my Custom.
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
tokai les pauls are worth a look, their korean ones are £400 and are superior to the low-mid priced epi's
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
the epiphone custom fits the bill for me and is one of the best guitars that i have played
^ you obviously haven't played many guitars
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I second the Tokais, alot of Jap LP copies are good, but Tokais tend to be the more expensive one of the bunch. At least in America.
seem to be a lot of new guys coming around and ragging on the epiphones lately. Either way, they are solid guitars and are worth your time if they fit your price range. Some people just seem to think in terms of "it costs more, therefor it must be better".
The only real difference between a standard and custom is the hard ware. The standard is chrome and the custom is gold. And the paint colors are different. I know I see alot of people ragging on epis. One guy said you must not have played to many guitars. Ive found that opinions are just that opinions. There are good and bad epis they just dont put the effort into them like a 2k guitar. But they can be fixed. I put stainless frets in my epi standard and it made a world of difference. Most guitar stores when doing a fret dress dont put a whole lot of effort into it either. If done right even a cheap crap guitar can play good. My epi standard sounds good and plays good, good enough for me. Does that mean I know all no not really. But I have done alot of work on my guitars and for other people. As for what other people think reference the "stupidest thing a guitar player has said" thread. Play what you want to play.
From what I can say, it's all cosmetics.
The Custom does have a mahogany top, while the standard has a maple top so that might give a bit of tonal difference.
But overall their pretty much the same.

Of course I think the looks are worth the money.

Any the Epiphone Les Pauls are great, of course with like any other guitars you'll find duds, but you'll also find some jems. I got an Epiphone Les Paul over a year ago and it's a great solid guitar.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Oct 6, 2007,