I was wondering if anyone knew how to get that really meaty squeal sound (ie Killswitch or Dimebag). I can squeal fine, I have the technique down pat, but it just isn't coming across the way I want it to. Is it the distortion settings, or the amp, or guitar? I'm confused.

By the way, I use:

Ibanez GAX70
Marshall VS230
ZOOM 505 II (one of the present distortions I can get a good squeal out of)
Uber Metal
are you talking about the pinch harmonic?
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
well killswitch uses pinch harmonics (when you pick the string let your thumb touch the string lightly). and dimebag uses pinch harmonics and natural harmonics and pulls up on his floyd rose
nice user name.

I dunno, when I do it I have the distortion all the way up, and the bass up, treble halfway, and mids halfway.

but turning the treble all the way up gets you an easier pinched harmonic. also the gain haleps too.
well sir, the rig set up is the smallest part. Of course you want distortion, but its mainly all in technique, which means practice. As i am sure you know, there are several different harmonics depending on where u "pinch" them on the strings. You just have to practice and work on your technique and eventually it will come my friend.
-Vox 100 VTH head
-Crate 4x12 cab

-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Epiphone Les Paul

Member # 17 of Metallica Mensa
also, you may want to look online for any Zakk Wylde lessons, hes a PH king
-Vox 100 VTH head
-Crate 4x12 cab

-Line 6 Spider III 75w

Epiphone Les Paul

Member # 17 of Metallica Mensa
Step 1: LOTS of distortion. The more you have, the more it'll stand out.
Step 2: Vibrato. It really makes 'em sing
Optional: Reverb, It gets you a really cool effect, try it out.

Make sure you're hitting it as clean as possible, cuz if you use too much thumb it'll come out sorta muted.
The loudest harmonic is the first octave harmonic. If you're not getting enough punch with your technique and you don't feel like improving your technique, using the first octave harmonic will make it significantly louder.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
thanks for all the replies, I'm still not really sure what I'm doing wrong. The Uber Metal, which is supposed to be really high gain (which is better for PHs) can't even compare to the squeals I can get out of one of the presets on the Zoom II, which leads my to believe I'm doing it right but its just an equipment issue.
First of all the whole "lots of distortion" thing here doesnt help musc, it just increases the string noise and makes your playing sound a bit sloppy.
listen to EVH, Vai, Petrucci, these guys use a lot less distortion than you'd think.
the trick is in using a compressor to increase the sustain of your guitar which in turn helps the harmonics ring out
One of the things i was just turned onto recently is that if you play just a regular harmonic on the third fret of the thickest string then turn it into a vibrato it sounds like a really sweet pinched harmonic. It only works on the third fret of that string though. Regardless it's very useful if you're not very good with pinches yet.
Quote by BlackerSabbath
thanks for all the replies, I'm still not really sure what I'm doing wrong. The Uber Metal, which is supposed to be really high gain (which is better for PHs) can't even compare to the squeals I can get out of one of the presets on the Zoom II, which leads my to believe I'm doing it right but its just an equipment issue.

Do you have your mids scooped on the Uber Metal? That kills your harmonics.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
It depends where along the string you perform the pinch harmonic. Really all a pinch harmonic is, is just a regular harmonic performed that way. Do a pinch harmonic at the 12th, 5th, and 7th frets while the string is just open. And it will sound the same. Fool around with that....
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

It depends where along the string you perform the pinch harmonic. Really all a pinch harmonic is, is just a regular harmonic performed that way. Do a pinch harmonic at the 12th, 5th, and 7th frets while the string is just open. And it will sound the same. Fool around with that....
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!