Hey all,

I have been shopping around a little bit lately for a new amp. So far what I like the most are the Randall RH150G3 head with cabinet or the comparable RG100G3 combo amp. I like the distortion, gain, crunch of these randalls. Where I am stuck is that I have been playing for about 3 years all at home and I have no clue if i will ever play gigs etc. as I mostly play for fun and a hobby. So i dont know if a halfstack is worth it if I have no intention on leaving the house/garage to play.

I could afford approx $900-$1000. I was going amp shopping again today and was hoping for some input or other amp suggestions I should try while i am out. Thanks
What type of music do you play?

You can a pretty sexy amp for that price.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Either one is a big amp just for dicking around at home. Are you jamming with other players? Is this strictly for metal, or is there other stuff you play?

IMHO, there are many nicer amps out there in your price range. A used Mesa F30 or F50 combo would blow these out of the water. I could come up with others if I knew more about what you need it for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I like to play metal/rock. Metallica, trivium, pantera etc. What amps were you thinking?
Hey slatsmania, apart from metal I guess i like some chilli peppers, guns and roses and of course the odd clean songs. I may jam with some friends once in awhile but mostly by myself. I am not that familiar with alot of equipment so I was hoping for some suggestions that I can try while I am shopping around in the next little while. Thanks
I'm not a metal player, and generally bow out when the conversation goes in that direction. But those Mesas, or a Peavey 5150 combo (maybe the best choice), would be nicer than those Randalls, IMHO.

Randall is great for metal, though. If you're not gigging/jamming, you might want to hold onto your money and get a smaller model.

I'll let the metal contingent take over from here...

edit: ok, if you're going to the shop and plugging in, try out the Mesa Express, Traynor YCV 50, Peavey JSX/XXX/6505, Marshall DSL401. A nice range of amps that all get heavy, just some heavier than others.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Oct 6, 2007,
I would have to agree with Slats. Disclaimer: I am not a metal player either.
the jsx is one the best amps I have ever played, I played it for about an hour and a half yesterday at guitar center
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Quote by senor_penguin
the jsx is one the best amps I have ever played, I played it for about an hour and a half yesterday at guitar center

I hope you're not the douche at GC in Greensboro NC who played that thing for about an hour with the volume at 11 playing master of puppets over and over again.

I agree with Slats, the Mesa F-30s, 50, 100 all give great tones. Probably the best cleans Mesa Boogie offers, and a great dirty gain. You might be able to find a used MKIII head for about $800 (try and find a blue stripe) and a 2x12 Avatar cab for another $250.

A used 5150 combo would leave you with quite a bit of money leftover for a few pedals; XXX's are very versatile, JSX's are good as well but I find their distortion a bit fizzly and mid boosting doesn't necessarily sound too good. Maybe a B52 AT212, or Traynor and OD stombox.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hey guys,

thanks for the help. So after checking out some amps today. Tried the Marshall AVT 150, Trayner YCV 20 and Mesa F30. I am heavily leaning toward the mesa boogie F30. Since it has been discontinued there were a couple left around the city. One place is selling it new for $990 dropped from $1100. It is a little more than I wanted to spend but it just sounds so sick!! I feel like it would serve me for many many years. One store I didnt get a chance to go to has some peavey's so I may check that out and if I dont like any of them too much I will probably go back and buy the mesa. any extra thoughts?
DONT GO FOR AN AVT!!!!!

My mate plays one at band practice and it aint music it makes. Its an assault on the ears. my ears ring more because of that amp than because of the drummer.
See if you can talk them down on the Mesa, I just bought one new from Guitar Center for $711 out the door. F-30>5150 anyday (imo) - and I have both.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gregv
hey guys,

thanks for the help. So after checking out some amps today. Tried the Marshall AVT 150, Trayner YCV 20 and Mesa F30. I am heavily leaning toward the mesa boogie F30. Since it has been discontinued there were a couple left around the city. One place is selling it new for $990 dropped from $1100. It is a little more than I wanted to spend but it just sounds so sick!! I feel like it would serve me for many many years. One store I didnt get a chance to go to has some peavey's so I may check that out and if I dont like any of them too much I will probably go back and buy the mesa. any extra thoughts?

I have an F-100 head $750!!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MatrixClaw
See if you can talk them down on the Mesa, I just bought one new from Guitar Center for $711 out the door.

+1

I've seen the F-50 (new) for $900, you should be able to do better than that for the F-30.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks guys, maybe I can try to bring them down. Another place is selling it for $1180 which is obviously too much so I may try and get them to beat the other store where it is $990.

Originally Posted by MatrixClaw
See if you can talk them down on the Mesa, I just bought one new from Guitar Center for $711 out the door

Wow that seems cheap, is that in the States? I wonder if it is a little more expensive in Canada?
so there is an auctio non ebay for the F30 at about $740 Canadian with about $75 shipping. It is from a music store and clearly cheaper than what is at my local store. Just wondering if buying amps on ebay is a good idea?? As far as shipping damage, trust, etc.

Any opinions??
Quote by gregv
Wow that seems cheap, is that in the States? I wonder if it is a little more expensive in Canada?

Ah, I didn't realize you were in Canada. So for that price I guess it would be a pretty decent deal. As for ebay, I can't comment on that as I've never bought gear off there and probably never will, I like to play what I buy first.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by gregv
so there is an auctio non ebay for the F30 at about $740 Canadian with about $75 shipping. It is from a music store and clearly cheaper than what is at my local store. Just wondering if buying amps on ebay is a good idea?? As far as shipping damage, trust, etc.

I've bought a guitar and a couple amps and pedals on eBay. I've done pretty well. The key is to buy from sellers with excellent feedback, and preferably a lot of it. And to read the ads carefully. Good sellers tell you everything that might be wrong with the item to protect themselves. Use the "ask the seller" feature with any questions you have that aren't answered in the ad. Most sellers are grateful for the interest, and will answer promptly.

Good luck!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I've bought 4 amps off of Ebay in the past 2 years - all were a "steal" and all were top notch. Ebay is a guitar players dream if you follow slatsmania's advice.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Quote by slatsmania
I've bought a guitar and a couple amps and pedals on eBay. I've done pretty well. The key is to buy from sellers with excellent feedback, and preferably a lot of it. And to read the ads carefully. Good sellers tell you everything that might be wrong with the item to protect themselves. Use the "ask the seller" feature with any questions you have that aren't answered in the ad. Most sellers are grateful for the interest, and will answer promptly.

Good luck!

It's also great to buy from stores on ebay. They're a little more willing, given that they are a smaller music store, to help you out after you recieve the item, lowering prices, or throwing in extra stuff.

My roadking had some pretty old preamp tubes, which they didn't mention in the ad, when I got it and found the problem I emailed them about it, they sent me $100 via paypal towards the purchase of new preamp tubes.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
thanks alot for the advice guys, really appreciate some feedback from the more experienced as I am pretty new to all of this
So i bought the mesa boogie F30 the other day off ebay. I bought it from a guy that owns a music store for $750 US brand new. I am super excited as I tried it at the local store for $1050 (with GST) and loved it. I am pretty happy with the price difference and the guy I bought it off was super nice and tossed in a Mesa SPAX7 tube and a T-shirt!!