ok, so the other day I came across a killer deal on a cab, that I couldn't say no to. So now I need to know how to set up a full stack. I'll be running the two cabs at 8 ohms each, so I know that means I have to set my head at 4 ohms but I'm not sure how to plug all this in. I've got a picture of all the back plates, so if someone could tell me how to plug all this in I would be stoked. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!
Attachments:
full.jpg
Do you really need both? It wouldn't be all that much different from just setting them on top of each other and just using one.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Do you really need both? It wouldn't be all that much different from just setting them on top of each other and just using one.

i bet you play like a g-dec or something

I think you have the right idea about setting to 4 ohms, do you have two 4 ohm outputs on the head (its a little blurry)
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
If you have 2 4 ohm outs on the head, this is what you do.

One 4 ohm out to the first cab

Second 4 ohm out to the second cab.

Thats all you need to know.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ok that sounds simple enough, does it matter which side? as both amps have left and right inputs
You can go from something like 8 from the head to a 4 ohm cab, but you can't go the other way around unless it has 2 loads on it.

You would be best off with the randall cab and crate cab set to mono or 8 ohms, and the head output to 4.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by tubab0y

um what?
Quote by MESAexplorer
You can go from something like 8 from the head to a 4 ohm cab, but you can't go the other way around unless it has 2 loads on it.

You would be best off with the randall cab and crate cab set to mono or 8 ohms, and the head output to 4.

I know how to set the ohms, I'm just not sure how to plug all this in. I've only ever used one cab and I don't want to accidently plug in wrong and kill my amp. So correct me if I'm wrong: head set on 4 ohms, one cord from the head to each cab, set on 8 ohms and it doesn't matter if i plug into left or right on the cabs?
Quote by Metalcomesfirst
um what?

hes saying a full stack is total overkill.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
1 Head 4 Ohms

2 Cabs 8 Ohms

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I would call Crate and get a manual, unless you're POSITIVE how those 4 outputs are wired. IF 2 are in parallel with eachother, it's seeing half the value, ie. 8 + 8 in parallel = 4ohm the head would be seeing.

You DO NOT want to have the impedance load the head is seeing from your cabs, be lower than what the impedance selector on your head is set at. ie, having your head set to 8ohm, and having it actually see a 4ohm load from 2 8ohm cabs in paralllel.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
I would call Crate and get a manual, unless you're POSITIVE how those 4 outputs are wired. IF 2 are in parallel with eachother, it's seeing half the value, ie. 8 + 8 in parallel = 4ohm the head would be seeing.

You DO NOT want to have the impedance load the head is seeing from your cabs, be lower than what the impedance selector on your head is set at. ie, having your head set to 8ohm, and having it actually see a 4ohm load from 2 8ohm cabs in paralllel.

2 8 ohm cabs will handle 2 4 ohm loads as long as they're from the same source.

If you're truly concerned check out Mesa/Boogie's product manuals on mesaboogie.com . Towards the end of the manuals it has listings of proper matches and mismatches of head ohm's to cab ohms.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
2 8 ohm cabs will handle 2 4 ohm loads as long as they're from the same source.

If you're truly concerned check out Mesa/Boogie's product manuals on mesaboogie.com . Towards the end of the manuals it has listings of proper matches and mismatches of head ohm's to cab ohms.

not sure I follow what you mean.

those connectors aren't loads, the only loads are the cabs. You are supposed to match the impedance selector, to what those outputs are actually seeing for an impedance load from the cabs.

Unless his head is stereo, 2 completely seperate channels, those 4 outputs are wired together with either series or parallel combinations. If you put 2 x 8ohm loads together, using the same hot to both, and the same ground to both, that's a parallel connection. The resulting impedance load because of this connection is 4ohm from 2 x 8ohm load in parallel.

Mesa's manual is talking about it's own outputs, and the way they have them labeled. They don't use an impedance selector, but rather use the 4, 8 and 16ohm taps. The 2 x 4ohm connectors are in parallel, that's why they are labeled 4ohms on the Mesa. You can hook up 2 x 8ohm cabs to those 2 4ohm connectors, and it will be a resulting 4ohm load the head is seeing. If you look at the manual, in each of those examples they use for a "safe mismatch", the tap they use is always equal to or less than the impedance load it's seeing from the cabs connected together.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids