I'm looking for bands or songs of island music. I don't know exactly what you'd call it, but if anyone listens to Mr. Bungle, I'm looking for stuff like the intro to "Sweet Charity", or Beck's Tropicana, or Costa Del Sol from FF 7. Just something about that Fmaj7 to Cmaj7 type sound is really cool to me, and I'd like to listen to music that focuses entirely on this genre.

Any ideas?
Maybe Bob Marley, though that's probably a little different from what you're looking for.
Jimmy Buffet's a good possibility, any albums in particular that really represent that island sound?
None of these are really what I'm looking for, though I'd say Jimmy Buffet was the closest.

Any other suggestions?
Well Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is about as island-ish as music gets, considering he lived in Hawaii his whole life.
Yes, but I'm looking for a different type of island music, like I explained in the original post. I wish I knew the name of the genre you'd actually call it so I could be more specific.

Hmmm...
Thought so...but I mean since Sting put out "Desert Rose", you never know

Any other suggestions?
Try some Toots and The Maytals, maybe.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
These suggestions are all close, but I'm looking for something that's just PURE island music, again look at my original post to get an idea of what I mean...

I mean a lot of these songs have an island feel, but they're also very rock/pop oriented, ya dig?

I apologize for being a pain, I really do appreciate everyone's suggestions though
And I've discovered some sweet songs in the searching process....hahaha
Quote by yawn
Maybe some 311, like Amber.

Man, I saw this thread and I was going to come in here and post exactly that.

Damn you!

But yeah TS, check out some 311, like the album Transistor, it has alot of songs like that.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Why don't you check out Islands.

Seriously. They've got several songs that get all calypso-ish.

And I second that Breeders song. It pwns.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
311 isn't really what i was looking for, but now that I'm listening to them, I really like them! Haha.

The Gilberto is cool too, that vibe is almost what I'm looking for but a little more of a "easy listening/elevator music" type feel, if you know what i mean, haha.

Btw, the reason I know exactly what I'm looking for is I heard a band that did this type of music years ago, but cannot for the life of me remember their name. At the time I thought it was corny, but now I like that kind of sound, I know it's out there somewhere...

I'm looking on wikipedia to try and find a description of what I'm looking for, meanwhile listening to 311 on my ipod now
Quote by fattyDQ
...one minute of my life I can never have back....why!?!

Sorry it was too perfect an opportunity to not give one of my bands ****ty videos
Quote by Aqua Dementia
Yes.

cool points for honesty
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Quote by fattyDQ
311 isn't really what i was looking for, but now that I'm listening to them, I really like them! Haha.

I'm looking on wikipedia to try and find a description of what I'm looking for, meanwhile listening to 311 on my ipod now

Heh, well you can't deny Amber is a pretty island-y song.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Yeah it is.

System of a Down has a middle eastern sound on a lot of their songs, but it's a lot different than if someone wanted to hear pure middle eastern music. I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just trying to better explain what I'm looking for.

I haven't heard that song in ages though. I love it