i've tried a cuple of amps lately and im thinking of buying this one...anyone here heard it?
i think its very versitle and can be a good amp for metal...i'll be glad hearing pros and cons..or maybe other suggestains for a good metal amp...
it's a solid state, so that's both a pro and a con.
it doesn't need tube changes and it's more reliable, but once you turn it up loud it'll start to sound worse while a tube amp will sound better when you turn it up

a good metal amp would be a peavey 5150.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 6, 2007,
Quote by The red Strat.
it's a solid state, so that's both a pro and a con.
iy doesn't need tube changes and it's more reliable, but once you turn it up loud it'll start to sound worse shile a tube amp will sound better when you turn it up

a good metal am would be a peavey 5150.

Agreed. the Flextones are nice (they make Spiders look like toys) but you start to crank them hard and it goes down hill. they can do lots of things and have tones of range, but they aren't the type of amp you crank you hard. If anything, its basically a practice and recording amp, and a good one at that.

If you're going to gig though, look into B-51 AT100, Peavey 5150 (used), or Peavey ValveKing. Also look used for amps, and see if you find one that fits what you need.
How many of you that replied own a flextone?
Flextones are not your typical SS...I crank mine plenty (its 150 watts) and with a sonicstomp in the loop there is no tone degradation that I can speak of. One thing to know is that if you have everything set up for bedroom levels and then you try and crank the master then it will will sound bad unless you readjust your eq. I could have bought any of those other tube amps but I didn't...cuz this one sounds better.
I used to own the original Flextone that I purchased in 1999 or early 2000. It was very good for practicing. However, the problem does come with cranking the amp. The patches I made never sounded the same when louder, i.e. in a band situation. And editing all the patches was out of the question. I eventually bought the floorboard to have the ability to store more patches, and ended up making practice patches and band patches. It wasn't a bad amp, but I eventually decided it wasn't for me. I guess I'd recommend buying the floorboard if you can find it if you are going to buy the Flextone.
I use done extensively in and out of guitar lessons. I've spent over 30 minutes on one in a store. I didn't try to readjust my EQ when I cranked it, but you shouldn't have to.
Agreed. the Flextones are nice (they make Spiders look like toys)

\]
that doesn't take much...

but they are decent amps
Flextone HD's are pretty sweet. I've used the head version. My only complaint was that half of the power section on it died after a band member played at an obnoxiously loud level. Chances are he didn't have the ohms matched up correctly either.

Flextone II's are probably the best of the Flextone series. They're good at about everything. They get very loud and are very versatile.

Flextone III's are good amps, not quite as good as the II's but they do sound good. With 150 watts, they ahve a lot of headroom even for a SS amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by CJRocker
I use done extensively in and out of guitar lessons. I've spent over 30 minutes on one in a store. I didn't try to readjust my EQ when I cranked it, but you shouldn't have to.

Yes, yes you do have to and here's why... Fletcher - Munson
"One thing to know is that if you have everything set up for bedroom levels and then you try and crank the master then it will will sound bad unless you readjust your eq."

what does that mean? what is readjust eq?

and another question..the man at the store told me that this amp dont need any pedals because he got built in effects...but he told me that its a good idea to buy an overdrive pedal to boost the gain if i want to play metal...soo can someone that understands this amp can advise me what pedal will suit this amp?
Quote by dime12
"One thing to know is that if you have everything set up for bedroom levels and then you try and crank the master then it will will sound bad unless you readjust your eq."

what does that mean? what is readjust eq?

and another question..the man at the store told me that this amp dont need any pedals because he got built in effects...but he told me that its a good idea to buy an overdrive pedal to boost the gain if i want to play metal...soo can someone that understands this amp can advise me what pedal will suit this amp?

that means that you need to change your equalizer settings (mids, bass and treble)

yeah it has built in effects, but nothing's better than a good valve amp with separate pedals imo.
you could get a overdrive pedal to boost it, but i think it has enough gain to handle metal on it's own.

give me your budget, genres, and what you're going to use the amp for and i'll recommend you a good metal amp
you could do better than a flextone imo.
You can't really use an Overdrive pedal on an SS amp to boost the distortion. You can use the pedal to give you an overdriven sound on the clean channel though. With the flextone, I agree with the salesman for the part where you don't have to buy pedals. It would be somewhat redundant to buy effects that are already built in.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
my budget is around 1200$..and i play mostly metal...progresive and power.. stuff like: dream theater,symphony x,death,Yngwie Malmsteen,pantera..but i dont really look for an amp which sound like those bands i only look for a good amp with a good distortion..
oh and i forgot to mention that the amp is going to use me mostly for practicing at home and recording...
Quote by dime12
oh and i forgot to mention that the amp is going to use me mostly for practicing at home and recording...

Look for a used Line 6 Vetta then. They can be had around $1200
Quote by dime12

the amp is going to use you ? do you live in soviet-russia or something

anyway, if you're ever going to gig also, a used peavey 5150 and maybe an attenuator. you'd have money left over for new tubes and maybe even a better speaker. the cleans aren't fantastic but it seems you don't need those.

a vetta is only good for low to mid gain IMO.

wait for slatsmania or dave mc to post though, i'm sure they'll have better advice.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Oct 7, 2007,
Quote by MESAexplorer
You can't really use an Overdrive pedal on an SS amp to boost the distortion. You can use the pedal to give you an overdriven sound on the clean channel though. With the flextone, I agree with the salesman for the part where you don't have to buy pedals. It would be somewhat redundant to buy effects that are already built in.

Wrong, all of the models are designed to react to od and boost pedals close to how the orginal amps would. I use a dr. distorto for a clean to low gain boost and then a rat for heavier distortion. Both of which work on higher gain models and settings.... These rumors going around that the flex and the vetta are not good for "high gain" is basically horse****. UG forums are notorious for posting BS about line 6 and being uninformed avout how they work.

This amp is GREAT for home recording due to the built stereo xli outs and the cab modeling sounds.
Quote by thedavidproject
Wrong, all of the models are designed to react to od and boost pedals close to how the orginal amps would. I use a dr. distorto for a clean to low gain boost and then a rat for heavier distortion. Both of which work on higher gain models and settings.... These rumors going around that the flex and the vetta are not good for "high gain" is basically horse****. UG forums are notorious for posting BS about line 6 and being uninformed avout how they work.

This amp is GREAT for home recording due to the built stereo xli outs and the cab modeling sounds.

Recordings, preferrably a Video or I call BS.

Laying a bit of fuzz on top of a non-tube amp sounds good on clean channels, it sounds like what the pedal is meant to sound like. Using a booster or more gain on like the US Recto, Insane, or other higher gain models onboard the Flextone will make it sound very fuzzy, and not very good.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by dime12
what about the peavey classic 50 ? is it any good for metal?

with a pedal maybe, but it definitly wouln't be my first choice.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Recordings, preferrably a Video or I call BS.

Laying a bit of fuzz on top of a non-tube amp sounds good on clean channels, it sounds like what the pedal is meant to sound like. Using a booster or more gain on like the US Recto, Insane, or other higher gain models onboard the Flextone will make it sound very fuzzy, and not very good.

1. First of all we will never again mention the "Insane" setting, as it is simply god-aweful sounding and no amount of tweaking will ever make it sound good.

2. I don't know what part you're calling bs... as far as high gain the marshall and mesa models to react quite nicely to some boost...as stated above we don't use the insane setting. It's not really worth it to me to waste my time setting up and recording this so call your bs...I don't really care that much.

3. As far as recording this should be more than enough proof.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llvSMuJ650c

He uses his flextone direct out of the xli's.
anyway...can someone that knows this amp recommand me a good dist/overdrive pedal to go along with it and boost the gain...?
Quote by dime12
anyway...can someone that knows this amp recommand me a good dist/overdrive pedal to go along with it and boost the gain...?

I really like my rat with it...Although it's prolly something you should try out yourself... Another suggestion would be one of the fulltone od's or an eq pedal.
If you're mostly going to play metal, get an amp that's designed for it. The Vettas (and the Flextones to some extent) sound good, but they're made so that you can get a huge range of sounds out of one amp. That said, none of the sounds you get from them are as good as the original (the Vetta comes close, but it's still not exact). It's a choice between an amp that does all sounds good, or one that does a few sounds superbly.

I suggest looking at a used Mesa Mark IV, you can get some that are mint condition for $1200.
I recall trying to use an MXR Distortion + with my Flextone on the JCM800 setting (Brit High Gain, I believe...) during my "trying to get Randy Rhodes' tone" days.

I remember this not sounding good at all. But when I had a Digitech Whammy IV it sounded awesome through the Flextone. It sounded awfully digital with my JVM, so I had to sell it. Point is...some effects like OD may not work, but more "digital" effects might sound better than with tube amps because the whole signal is digital.