My new strats action is kind of high.. ive already tightend the truss rod a little but now getting fret buzz.. but the action is still to high it seems like.. it has a vintage sync. tremolo.. what steps should i take with my new guitar to set it up right?
strats aren't made to have amazingly low action, the fretboard is contoured slightly to make it easier to play. if you want low action, get a guitar with a flat fretboard, a la ibanez, esp etc.
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
dont touch the truss rod.

to adjust fretbuzz you start at the saddles.

adjust those then repost if you still have a problem.

tiny allen wrench.

^come on
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Don't touch the truss rod. That adjusts the curve of the neck. Lower your saddles. I've got mine pretty low. String gauge doesn't play much of a part in the action but it could affect buzzing.
I have a micro action on my Strat. They actually tend to be easier to get the action close on than most set-necks. As Jenny says the truss-rod is not where you adjust the action. Probably need to put it back the way it was, unless you adjusted for some other reason.
^yeah, i bet he's going to have to start from scratch depending on how much turning he's done.
where the buzzing is. but adjusting the saddles, is a step in the right direction.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What is it with people just adjusting their truss rod for no good reason, not meaning to sound angry but dude you LEAVE THAT BADGER ALONE!!!!

Repeat LEAVE YOUR TRUSS ROD ALONE!!!

Ive been playing for years and the only time ive ever seen a guitar NEED a truss rod adjustment was today... thats right over 7 years and the first time I saw a guitar need 1 was today.
^ i threw mine way off on purpose , buggered my intonation on purpose amongst other things, just to amke sure i could do a proper set up myself. was a good learning experience, but yeah..

if you don't even realise what it does you should be touching it, you start watching tv and next thing you know your tuners are jammed under the whammy bar and you have NO idea how on earth it could even physically happen
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
i have a quick question: what does the truss rod do?
Last edited by whatadrag at Oct 6, 2007,
the truss rod affects the curvature of your neck, now i know what u mite be thinking, "Thats great i can use it to make my neck flat cus it bows a little bit!"

Don't do that.
Quote by whatadrag
i have a quick question: what does the truss rod do?

Guitar strings create a lot of tension on the neck. The truss rod keeps the neck from bending/snapping in half .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
oh, well one more quick question: wheres it at?(dont worry im not gonna mess with it, just for future reference)
Quote by whatadrag
oh, well one more quick question: wheres it at?(dont worry im not gonna mess with it, just for future reference)

It's inside the neck and can be adjusted either by a screw at the nut or a screw in the end of the neck (you'd have to take the neck off) depending on the guitar.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
im not THAT much of a newb... i looked in the manual on how much the neck should curve and measured the distance from the bottom of the 6th string and the top of the 8th fret. while holding the string down at the 1st and last fret... and it seemed as tho it was a little too much concave curvature.. plus other reviews ive read on this guitar multiple people said theyve needed to tighten it up when they got it.. i think iam just going to go into my local shop and have those old guys give it a perfect set up.. adjust truss rod correctly, saddles/tuners, intonation, etc.. because iam very impatient.

thanks for all the help